Note to New Members ×

Line feedback

rjnakata

Riding feedback please:

I been watching some of the videos of the "greats" (and even not so greats) here and it seems like they usually take a high speed line that links quickly...ie the turn radius is large and quick edge to edge.  Is that the "go to" technique?  Is that what one (I) should strive for?

I was out today and found my tracks to go more like ribbon candy.  Some of the transitions go almost 90 degrees across the slope.  Maybe it's that I don't feel all that comfortable with speed.  It could be that at mach speed I don't feel like I can scrub speed with clean carves...  Should I point down the fall line more so?

I'd post a vid, but I'm the "lone carver" so I have no video crew to help.  Here's a shot from the chair.

Board is an 161 SL, the venue smallish, about noon so snow getting soft.

04 - Copy.jpg

03 - Copy.jpg

Other things equal, your SL board will blow out of a carve at a lower speed than a board with a bigger sidecut - it's not too surprising to me that you're doing candy ribbon turns rather than parentheses:

(
  )
(

I think this comes down to personal style and what you enjoy! I usually prefer the candy ribbon turns myself - I like to keep my speeds moderate in my old age ;-) Big mean GS boards that will hold a high speed carve can definitely be fun, but definitely demand some running room. 

There's so much to interpreting tracks (lines). I often find it difficult to figure out my own lines. Then I may or may not remeber that the wobble I see is when I noticed that skier in the  distance coming my way.

Those tracks my be a little big* for an SL board but soft snow can make one open up to maintain speed. Tighter! :eplus2:

*Big for C carves on an SL.

Who's to say

)

(

)

Is "better"?!? 

Perhaps your goal should be to do a little of both? IMHO the open turns are easier. :biggthump

OkThats a great slope.  Lots of pitch w some subtle rolls in it that can b exploited.  Always curious how slopes like that end.    If it runs out into a green u don't hav to worry about shaving speed,, just let terminal velocity do its magic and do skier banana turns.  But if it ends in "T" u need to control your speed w ribbon candy turns or end you run in an ugly brake slide.  And those turns r not easy to do!  Especially if slope is narrow, icy and steep.  I always feel that those turn define a great rider.  And certainly, they r the defining difference between soft and hard boots as softees cant crack ice.  I think speed control is the higher skill.  Terminal  velocity carving is easy (especially w floppy clothing ?).

The first picture is a really wide slope and you're only using 1/4 of it, why not use the whole slope, total control of speed, a chance to turn uphill, you can always make small cuts on thin trails but gosh, use the terrain.

Yea, you need speed to careen the whole slope, or you can make some turns slowly, more variation, oh, time for a mid 170's used board!

31 minutes ago, ursle said:

The first picture is a really wide slope and you're only using 1/4 of it, why not use the whole slope, total control of speed, a chance to turn uphill, you can always make small cuts on thin trails but gosh, use the terrain.

Using only a portion of the trail is safer!  It leave an escape path for those behind.  Besides, it's a slalom board.  Those are already pretty big turns for a slalom board!  

Here's me making small turns with a 160: 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Corey said:

Here's me making small turns with a 160: 

Great feedback all,

Is the fast link to link effective in scrubbing speed...linklinklinklink?   

I feel like I'm doing link // link // link // link but am still going a little fast (for me).    

I will try the quick turns if you promise they'll reduce speed!

I second those are sizable turns.  You could easily get in twice as many on that slope. 

On my 10.5 m proteus I like to make really hooky turns and drive the edge super hard right before the apex of my turns creating turns more like this which ultimately scrub quite a bit of speed 

<

>

<

More edge pressure= more g-force= more fun for me. That's just the way I do it though.

***I am not a coach, and I don't play one on TV. 

Edited by Carvin' Marvin
Was probably wrong

2 hours ago, rjnakata said:

Great feedback all,

Is the fast link to link effective in scrubbing speed...linklinklinklink?   

I feel like I'm doing link // link // link // link but am still going a little fast (for me).    

I will try the quick turns if you promise they'll reduce speed!

No, the transition rate doesn't scrub speed. Sorry for confusing the matter. I'm doing rapid-fire turns as I find it fun. 

Speed control is all in what angle you finish your turn relative to the fall line. Taken to the extreme, if you do a J turn you continue carving until you point uphill and stop, making a track like a J when viewed from a chairlift. If you switch edges earlier, you can build speed. It's a bit of an art to knowing how far around you need to wrap a turn to come out at the speed you want. The best practice is getting it wrong a bunch of times! ;) 

22 hours ago, rjnakata said:

I been watching some of the videos of the "greats" (and even not so greats) here and it seems like they usually take a high speed line that links quickly...ie the turn radius is large and quick edge to edge.  Is that the "go to" technique?

That's often (but not always) the 'go to' technique when a rider lacks the wherewithal to do anything else. So don't equate rapid action or the fast line with rider proficiency.

Sidecut and taper play a part as well.

That said, your arcs look clean and consistent. See if you can make them smaller without undue hassle or discomfort. Using that skier for scale, your tracks would encircle a Kaiju.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

That's often (but not always) the 'go to' technique when a rider lacks the wherewithal to do anything else. So don't equate rapid action or the fast line with rider proficiency.

I was wondering if that were true...

3 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

...a Kaiju.

I had to google that.  You mean big.  I'll shoot for tighter turns.  I think speed happens and then the turns get bigger...maybe out of fear or lack of confidence in the equipment...

Like you are picking up from the replies here, it is different strokes for different folks.  For my, case I aim at riding full-C shaped turns, and focus on getting the board as high on edge as I can, every single turn.  When you start getting proficient, you'll start looking for steeper and steeper slopes to keep up your speed.  Then the mountain becomes you oyster.  

Your turns do look nice and clean, but Beckmann was perhaps a bit ungenerous.  You could probably fit a bantha or a rancor in those turns, but definitely not any self-respecting kaiju that I know of.

Looks fine to me, perhaps a little long for a 161.  If you're enjoying yourself then don't worry.  Set personal goals to try to vary your turn sizes, you should be able to tighten that up quite a bit on a 161.  But if this is your favorite turn size you might try a 170-something.

MK 161, steep:

IMG_3419.thumb.JPG.012e95136e343f71b939b

• Like 4