Note to New Members ×

Fintec bushing replacement - any tips

scrutton

@GeoffV I ordered an 8 count bag today and they are due in next Wednesday.  I confirmed that this is indeed the part needed(JSM-1012-10). 

I will try and document my repair as I have had my heels on my boots for over 8 years now and they are well worn and current bushings/bearings are toast.

Edited by *Ace*
  • Like 1

I don't have the time or computing power to offer a proper video tutorial, so here is what I was able to manage.

Total time to replace bushing sleeves on 2x boots: ~2.5 hours

To replace the bushings on your Fintec heels you will need:

Wrench or screwdriver to remove hardware holding Fintec Heel onto boot

Bomber Butter(or comparable low temp grease)

4x - IGUS JSM-1012-10 bushing sleeves

Phillips Screwdriver

Pick tool(recommended, not necessary)

Step 1:  Lay out tools.

fintec_1.jpg

As you can see the bushing sleeve is hard to make out in this picture.  It should be flush with the side of the Fintec heel.

fintec_2.jpg

Step 2: Use pick tool to clean out the 4 fastener heads from dirt and rocks, remove fasteners.  As you can see these heels have many miles on them, over 250 days of riding.

fintec_3.jpg

Step 3:  Push in clip holding the handle on the pull cable, remove handle.

fintec_4.jpg

Step 4:  Remove screw holding on cover.  There are 2 grooves to pry cover out.  (note:  Inspect cable, mine had a wire coming out that is part of the sleeve.)

fintec_5.jpg

Step 5:  Remove center cam.

fintec_6.jpg

Step 6:  Remove springs.  Its best to pry up from side nearest aluminum case.

fintec_7.jpg

Step 7:  Remove pins to the cam sliders.

fintec_8.jpg

Step 8:  You can now slide out the main pins for the Fintec heel.

fintec_9.jpg

Step 9:  Remove old bushing sleeves.  This can be very tricky as the bushing sleeves are tightly fitted and there isn't a lot of room to maneuver. The surface area on the edge of the bushing is small and difficult to get a good position on.  Push them out from inside of the heel.  Using an Allen wrench worked well for me.

fintec_10.jpg

Step 10:  Admire your rubbish bearing sleeves and reflect on the glorious days of trench digging that they offered.

fintec_11.jpg

Note:  There are 3 dimples that ensure sleeves don't fall out.  This makes putting the new ones in a little tricky.

fintec_12.jpg

Step 11:  Insert new bearing sleeves.  The method that worked best for me was to line the bushings up with the hole and use a flat surface to force them in.  The 3 dimples mentioned earlier will shave some of the bushing off.  It is a very tight fit!  The bushing should be flush with the outside of the Fintec heel.  Note:  It is possible to push bearing sleeves in past flush, keep them flush!

fintec_13.jpg

Step 12:  Reassemble Fintec heel in the order that it was taken apart.  Be sure to use plenty of Bomber Butter, or comparable low-temp grease to properly lubricate parts.  Inspect final results and test.

fintec_14.jpg

Edited by *Ace*
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ace,

Is there any point in making a community batch of bushing press tools to facilitate the install?  

->Thinking a simple stepped dowel that would support and center the new bushing while you tap it in?

Also, did you ever get anywhere with that Skwal binding project?

Edited by Beckmann AG

Thanks for the write-up. A thought on this: Once you remove the old bushings, use the correct sized reamer (or closest drill bit) to remove the dimples. Then, once the new ones are installed, make 3x new dimples with a centerpunch. That way, installing the new bushings won't gouge them up. 

• 3 weeks later...