Note to New Members ×

East Coast Blizzard!

billyt.

When you get to nine feet will talk!  bombcyclone......libral fake storm made up..

Through 5 p.m. EST on Dec. 30, these bands delivered another 17.7 inches of snowfall to Erie International Airport. Since the initial heavy lake-effect snowbands starting hammering Erie on Christmas Eve, it has now picked up a whopping 83.8 inches of snow in just under six days' time according to National Weather Service Cleveland.Dec 27, 2017

11 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

When you get to nine feet will talk!  bombcyclone......libral fake storm made up..

Through 5 p.m. EST on Dec. 30, these bands delivered another 17.7 inches of snowfall to Erie International Airport. Since the initial heavy lake-effect snowbands starting hammering Erie on Christmas Eve, it has now picked up a whopping 83.8 inches of snow in just under six days' time according to National Weather Service Cleveland.Dec 27, 2017

They live for that lake effect.  Snowmobiles paradise!  I am glad that it  is powdery light snow.  Bombogenesis is the actual term.  Only have heard it  a couple of times.  MSM dumbed it down for the general public.

If only HAARP could keep the eye just off of NJ for another 4 hours... Oh, but, then, Trump's Atlantic-City holdings wouldn't dig out for a week.. Yeah, but, it's a great PR counter to 'global warming'.. And, I'll take it! I hiked Arrowhead for three hours (5 runs), and had over a foot of Freshies for the O-Sin Swallowtail, and Sims 1711 (that's a 29-yr.-old board, that RIPS this stuff!), and a Headwall that's 350 Ft., steeper than Stowe's front 4.  Best of all, I found an old pair ('95+-) of Raichle  softboots that my thermo-fit DeeLuxe liners slipped into, letting me drive [an '87 Saab, stick-shift] , hike, and ride in the same boots. Had a great conversation w/ a Claremont Cop, @ sundown, who got stuck following my tracks into the base-lodge area (my Saab pushed him out, and TVR, You be SO WRONG about this car! It's not a GM model.), as he was worried I was up-to-no-good, but, when he saw the Sims, understood immediately (he rode in the 90's). Hitting either Sunapee, or Crotched on Friday. Got the Cruzer waxed tonite, too.

8 hours ago, billyt. said:

They live for that lake effect.  Snowmobiles paradise!  I am glad that it  is powdery light snow.  Bombogenesis is the actual term.  Only have heard it  a couple of times.  MSM dumbed it down for the general public.

Hmm, Bombogenesis?  BOMBERGENESIS! Fin needs to get the store up now and capitalize on this!

2 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Yeah, but, it's a great PR counter to 'global warming'.. And, I'll take it!

Global warming doesn't need inverted commas. Don't conflate weather and climate.

If you don't believe that global warming is coming, put your money where your mouth is and invest in coastal property and ski field companies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

If you don't believe that global warming is coming, put your money where your mouth is and invest in coastal property and ski field companies.

Yeah, well, I've been in the 'ski industry' long enough to know that one should move both Higher, and Further inland!!, Oh, and, if possible, closer to the Poles. However, once the 'POLE SHIFT' hits [again!], it's anyone's guess as to where to go?! As a former Surveyor, I know quite well, the 'shift' will hit again; the proof is in the rocks. But, the Mag-Lines 'Curve', so, it was a likely a bending of rockbed, such that the crust 'twisted' into it's configuration, from a previous lay. One cannot determine the time-span this occurred within, only that it was Molten upon such a turning-point, and wasn't as sudden as, say, Peru's Seacoast going 6000 Ft. UP, some 8000 yrs. ago! Earth-Changes are not beyond prediction, IF, but only IF, we KNOW the Predictor's Values, and perhaps their Causes?! WE DON'T KNOW. And, likely, will be Duped until it's far too late. But, meanwhile, we can guess.... Like Atlantis once guessed it's fate

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Global warming doesn't need inverted commas. Don't conflate weather and climate.

I suspect that the original comment about 'global warming'was made with tongue in cheek, but even if it were not, jumping on it as if it were something so sacrosanct that it needs to be squashed immediately seems a bit much and a clear example of the unfortunate dialogue surrounding the issue.

While there is no doubt that questioning or refusing to accept  human-made climate change is often self-serving, the other side has plenty of selfish motives of its own. "Going green" has turned into an industry in its own right - as well as a religion with its own brand of zealotry. For many people, global warming is the secular equivalent of a biblical disaster sent by God to punish humankind for its errant (capitalist) ways. Those who embrace environmentalism as a faith have no interest in scientific and technological solutions to climate change - such as nuclear power - that don't include imposing drastic regulations on markets and curbs on consumption.  Objections to this line of thinking are met with calls of "denier" or "ignorant" or worse.

Debate and the continued questioning of all findings and conclusions are fundamental parts of the scientific process . Moving away from unhelpful use and construction of labels that lead to incivility would enable constructive and fruitful dialogue across this polarized debate. Perhaps examining the role of underlying motivations and rationales as to why these different opinions about climate change come to exist in the first place. Focusing on potential overlaps in perceptions and rationales may encourage constructive discussion among those previously engaged in purposefully antagonistic exchange on climate change.

There, I feel better.

Edited by guido591

I do not deny global warming and even man made global warming as I have faith in our scientific community BUT my home of nearly twenty years is situated on, and about 1' above mean high tide, Horsehead Bay, WA, and in front of it is our dock built on steel pilings.  Needless to say my antennae go up when I read about coastal flooding so I have done some of my own research on tides, King tides, etc. as they relate to my dock and Puget Sound history.  From this research it appears that the highest high tide recorded during the past forty years was the King tide on December 17th, 2012, and that tide was 1/4" Yes, a full 0.25") higher than the previous highest tide on record, also a King Tide, about forty years ago.

My seat of the pants first hand observations and my unscientific but intense interest in our tides indicate that A King Tide occurs only when the following three components line up within an hour or two of each other:  1.  One of the three or four highest tides of the year, 2.  extremely low barometric pressure, i.e. under 29" hg, and 3.  significant storm surge.  It's easy to fairly accurately judge sea water levels by observing the water level on my dock pilings and the angle of our aluminum ramp connecting the piling supported part of our dock to the floating portion when the water is flat which is most of the time.

I could go into a lot more boring detail but I will sum up my feelings about sea water level as it relates to my home by saying that I am not the least bit concerned about sea water level during my life time, not that many years left, or the life times of my kids or my grandkids. My house, built in 1905, needs to be torn down by the next owner anyway so my concern is even less.

One additional cheerful thought, "Don't worry so much about old age as it doesn't last that long."

Take everything I state as fact with a grain of salt as it may contain "fuzzy math" or be based on "fake news."

• Like 3

I don't much care why it is brutal cold outside (although I do believe the extra CO2 has to have some measurable effect) but I can say with certainty, that I am LIKING this cold, as no matter the snowfall, I can go snowboarding. The mountains will make it, or it will come naturally, but the cold we are having, no matter how brutal, makes my life more fun.

Eventually, we will have enough proven evidence to conclude without a doubt, which side is right.

For now, however, give me this cold, and keep it coming, no matter how brutal, and lets shed the shire with a smile on our faces.....

• Like 1

Guido, the original comment echoed POTUS Trump who has acted to take the USA out of the Paris climate accord of 194 other nations.

The overwhelming majority of the nations of the world agree that climate change is a real threat to our shared world. 

The debate is very much now what to do about it. 

Bomber members may care to reflect upon Fin Doyle's actions in selling Bomber and moving into building equipment that allows solar panels to track the sun's movement across the sky. Some people have the courage of their convictions.

• Like 1

Looks like I will be running gates in Bretton Woods Saturday if anyone else wants to carve it up a little. It should be cold as hell, but less windy than the other mountains so the flats will be tolerable... Oh, and it will be Eastern and have snow, so this topic friendly..  :)

6 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I do not deny global warming and even man made global warming as I have faith in our scientific community BUT my home of nearly twenty years is situated on, and about 1' above mean high tide, Horsehead Bay, WA, and in front of it is our dock built on steel pilings.  Needless to say my antennae go up when I read about coastal flooding so I have done some of my own research on tides, King tides, etc. as they relate to my dock and Puget Sound history.  From this research it appears that the highest high tide recorded during the past forty years was the King tide on December 17th, 2012, and that tide was 1/4" Yes, a full 0.25") higher than the previous highest tide on record, also a King Tide, about forty years ago.

My seat of the pants first hand observations and my unscientific but intense interest in our tides indicate that A King Tide occurs only when the following three components line up within an hour or two of each other:  1.  One of the three or four highest tides of the year, 2.  extremely low barometric pressure, i.e. under 29" hg, and 3.  significant storm surge.  It's easy to fairly accurately judge sea water levels by observing the water level on my dock pilings and the angle of our aluminum ramp connecting the piling supported part of our dock to the floating portion when the water is flat which is most of the time.

I could go into a lot more boring detail but I will sum up my feelings about sea water level as it relates to my home by saying that I am not the least bit concerned about sea water level during my life time, not that many years left, or the life times of my kids or my grandkids. My house, built in 1905, needs to be torn down by the next owner anyway so my concern is even less.

One additional cheerful thought, "Don't worry so much about old age as it doesn't last that long."

Take everything I state as fact with a grain of salt as it may contain "fuzzy math" or be based on "fake news."

@Corey, lmk if I should pm you for “permission” but I find this a fascinating subject and exchanging information is what goes on.

The bottom of the ocean is more of a "sunken place" than it used to be. 

In recent decades, melting ice sheets and glaciers driven by climate change are swelling Earth's oceans. And along with all that water comes an unexpected consequence — the weight of the additional liquid is pressing down on the seafloor, causing it to sink.

Consequently, measurements and predictions of sea-level rise may have been incorrect since 1993, underestimating the growing volume of water in the oceans due to the receding bottom, according to a new study. [7 Ways the Earth Changes in the Blink of an Eye]

Scientists have long known that Earth's crust, or outer layer, is elastic: Earlier research revealed how Earth's surface warps in response to tidal movements that redistribute masses of water; and 2017's Hurricane Harvey dumped so much water on Texas that the ground dropped 0.8 inches (2 centimeters), the Atlantic reported.

In the new investigation, researchers looked at more long-term impacts to the seafloor. They evaluated how much the shape of the ocean bottom may have changed between 1993 and 2014, taking into account the amount of water added to the ocean from liquid formerly locked up on land as ice. Previous research into seafloor stretching had omitted that extra water, the scientists wrote in the study.

To do that, they reviewed approximations of mass loss on land, as ice melted and drained into the oceans, and compared that to estimates of sea volume changes. They found that around the world for two decades, ocean basins deformed an average of 0.004 inches (0.1 millimeter) per year, with a total deformation of 0.08 inches (2 mm).

However, there were distinct regional patterns to the seafloor's bending and stretching, and the amount of sag in certain parts of the ocean bottom could be significantly higher — as much as 0.04 inches (1 mm) per year in the Arctic Ocean, for a total of 0.8 inches (20 mm), the study authors reported.

As a result, satellite assessments of sea-level change — which don't account for a sinking ocean bottom — could be underestimating the amount that seas are rising by 8 percent, according to the study.

The accuracy of future sea-level estimates could be notably improved if the sinking of the ocean floor were incorporated into the calculations, "either based on modeled estimates of ocean mass change, as was done in this study, or using more direct observations," the scientists concluded.

The findings were published online Dec. 23 in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Original article on Live Science.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ursle said:

The bottom of the ocean is more of a "sunken place" than it used to be. 

In recent decades, melting ice sheets and glaciers driven by climate change are swelling Earth's oceans. And along with all that water comes an unexpected consequence — the weight of the additional liquid is pressing down on the seafloor, causing it to sink.

Consequently, measurements and predictions of sea-level rise may have been incorrect since 1993, underestimating the growing volume of water in the oceans due to the receding bottom, according to a new study. [7 Ways the Earth Changes in the Blink of an Eye]

Scientists have long known that Earth's crust, or outer layer, is elastic: Earlier research revealed how Earth's surface warps in response to tidal movements that redistribute masses of water; and 2017's Hurricane Harvey dumped so much water on Texas that the ground dropped 0.8 inches (2 centimeters), the Atlantic reported.

In the new investigation, researchers looked at more long-term impacts to the seafloor. They evaluated how much the shape of the ocean bottom may have changed between 1993 and 2014, taking into account the amount of water added to the ocean from liquid formerly locked up on land as ice. Previous research into seafloor stretching had omitted that extra water, the scientists wrote in the study.

To do that, they reviewed approximations of mass loss on land, as ice melted and drained into the oceans, and compared that to estimates of sea volume changes. They found that around the world for two decades, ocean basins deformed an average of 0.004 inches (0.1 millimeter) per year, with a total deformation of 0.08 inches (2 mm).

However, there were distinct regional patterns to the seafloor's bending and stretching, and the amount of sag in certain parts of the ocean bottom could be significantly higher — as much as 0.04 inches (1 mm) per year in the Arctic Ocean, for a total of 0.8 inches (20 mm), the study authors reported.

As a result, satellite assessments of sea-level change — which don't account for a sinking ocean bottom — could be underestimating the amount that seas are rising by 8 percent, according to the study.

The accuracy of future sea-level estimates could be notably improved if the sinking of the ocean floor were incorporated into the calculations, "either based on modeled estimates of ocean mass change, as was done in this study, or using more direct observations," the scientists concluded.

The findings were published online Dec. 23 in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Original article on Live Science.

The current, and generally accepted theory is that spreading (and sinking) of various regions on the ocean floor is caused by plate tectonics, not the weight of water.  While such dynamics might affect the shape of coastlines and undersea features, it's difficult for me to imagine how they would affect the overall sea level.   I wouldn't trust Live Science as a source -- they are owned by Purch, a digital marketing group which edits their articles to appeal to news outlets like CNN, MSNBC, and Yahoo.   The article sounds like someone trying to defend a climate model that isn't supported by data.

For what it's worth, the oceans have been rising at a rate of about 1 to 10 mm per year since the last glacial maximum about 20,000 years ago.  The activities of mankind have not affected that significantly.