Note to New Members ×

ocasional heelside issue

big mario

8 minutes ago, pmorita said:

Just lost my appetite.  Did this start as something to do with heelside turns?

Yes it did, the masturbation talk has gotten out of hand...

and the nuns, well,  lets get out of that habit...

I enjoy a good thread derail as much as everyone else, but this is getting a little... something.  Jack, I think you are spot on with the slowly sinking, I will keep that in mind next time I am out.

mario

• Like 1

If you are locked into a Backside...it is because you have not started the Frontside transition in time...either You are in charge, or the Board is...there can be a number of reasons for the effect but only one cause...I have done it enough times to know, it is a very dangerous situation at times...the scariest moments on my stick have been this happening with trees around...this is also called "Late to the Party" :ph34r:

Edited by softbootsurfer
added definition

Welp, this thread went to hell. My work here is done.

I have no good advice, as usual. But I can definitely relate to being locked into a carve. 

When I was younger and more stupider, cranking a turn near the bottom towards the lift, I got stuck in a deep heelside. So much so that I just sat and watched as I plowed through a wooden fence into the lift area. I sent boards flying. One of the fence boards flew over the lift shack and into the bull wheel. The lifty was trying not to laugh as he checked on me. He says all he saw was a cloud of snow and pieces of wood in the air, then me laying in a tangle of broken wood and rope. Amazingly I was unhurt so we both laughed for a while over that one. I came back the next day to fix my eff up. 

• Like 1

Having had the pleasure of witnessing the endless Joerg style heelsides from Mario this past weekend... I'd say the softer groom and the large radius virus GS had a lot to do with it. That being said. I struggled with this on race styled boards. Having gone to more recreational type decks really made re engaging toeside quite easy in comparison. Sunday funday at the luv again?! 

For the record, one of Mario's toesides ate an older skier last Sunday nearly chucking him. The porcupine in the tree saw it all.

• Like 1

Howdy Mario - glad to see she's getting some action ;) one thing I did find with that board and the longer SCR/stiffness is that it always helps to have a bit of room to extend, so that I can punch my way out of a turn whenever I want, so I (think) I rode that deck with a bit more compression for that reason. I do recall getting locked in a few times while I was getting used to that board. Enjoy!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, queequeg said:

Howdy Mario - glad to see she's getting some action ;) one thing I did find with that board and the longer SCR/stiffness is that it always helps to have a bit of room to extend, so that I can punch my way out of a turn whenever I want, so I (think) I rode that deck with a bit more compression for that reason. I do recall getting locked in a few times while I was getting used to that board. Enjoy!

I was flogging that board pretty hard once I got dialed in. I am glad to hear that this has happened to others, and not just because I cannot ride.  I brought it down really tight on a few of the lock ins, I was surprised at how tight I got that beast to turn in fact.

• Like 1

This sounds like some of my experience with a super stiff Virus.  When I would get my Virus UFC  to flex and loaded up into the turn it wouldn't release on heelside sometimes if I got pitched back even just a little.  Lots of built up torsional energy looking for easiest line to dissipate I assumed......

I loved the board but my thighs were toast before noon and that won the debate to move it on....... 

32 minutes ago, inkaholic said:

Bigs, make sure to bring that big ole virus, I'd like to giver a test to really figure out if it is the board or you just Sallyin' about. ?

Looked fun once you were done being tinkerbell. 

Ink

And I will bring the even bigger one as well

we'll see whom is a sally then.....:eplus2:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, big mario said:

And I will bring the even bigger one as well

we'll see whom is a sally then.....:eplus2:

Are you talking the spartan? Ill take the challenge, sounds fun and interesting to see what happens with a "light weight" on them. I'm just stoked to be riding a bit better than the last few seasons. 

Ink

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, inkaholic said:

Are you talking the spartan? Ill take the challenge, sounds fun and interesting to see what happens with a "light weight" on them. I'm just stoked to be riding a bit better than the last few seasons. 

Ink

yes I was. Hopefully you wont need to hit mach loony just to bend"em

• Like 3

Ok bigs,

There are some good suggestions and info in this thread. Below is my take on what I saw happening.

LCI members know you have been rocking that stance with great success for a long time, that was not your issue. 

Four things that did not help you last Sunday are

4) new (to you) stiff, large sidecut board

3) using the above board to warm up

2) lack of your usual enthusiasm and aggression (early on, this picked up after your tinkerbell seshun)

1) softer snow that wouldn't allow a stiffer board to flex properly

As you know from the other Virus that you have ridden, they get better the harder the snow is. That is one reason I didn't take mine out that day. My guess is that if you ride it this weekend you won't have any issues and you will make that board bow to your every command.

now I quote you to oddjob back to you

"stop thinking and ride"

ink

• Like 1