Note to New Members ×

ocasional heelside issue

big mario

so every once in a while I find myself locked into a heelside  with no chance of getting out. I finally learned to just ride it out uphill with a butt drag to a stop. There is no rhyme or reason that I can think of, It happens when I drive hard, if I am being lazy, when I am fresh, and when I am tired, I had 4 instances of it last sunday whilst riding my 186 virus gs. Any insight into this particular issue would be greatly appreciated

mario

Edited by big mario

This happens to me on rare occasion if I'm not paying close attention, if it's what I think you're talking about.  I think it happens when you "fall" slightly past the balance point of the carve.  You're then caught in a slow fall that is almost offset by the g-force of the carve, but not quite.  No way out of it as far as I can tell, just try to avoid it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Beckmann AG said:

Big,

Are you riding avec isocline plate, and also what bindings etc?

No plate, tried one on cruddy groom at atc, Td'3s 6f, 3r, I tend to lead with my head, figured a 6 in the front would help me get a little more rearward

newish to me stick, with a big, 19ish side cut, though has happened on others as well

45 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

This happens to me on rare occasion if I'm not paying close attention, if it's what I think you're talking about.  I think it happens when you "fall" slightly past the balance point of the carve.  You're then caught in a slow fall that is almost offset by the g-force of the carve, but not quite.  No way out of it as far as I can tell, just try to avoid it.

usually does involve hip dragging come to think about it, I was wondering if that was the case, thanks....

57 minutes ago, Erik J said:

If this phenomenon is accompanied by temporary blindness and hairy palms then the the cause was frequent masturbation in your younger years. 

The nuns warned me of this. Confession is the only fix. 

If'n i'da known that I wouldn't have taken up snowboarding.....

How do you cope with this issue?

If you changed the front disc to a 6 without also adding some forward lean to the boot cuff, you wind up with a straighter front leg. A straighter front leg cuts into your ability make 'finer' edging movements with that joint, so you'd tend to use more hip in its place. Too much hip in search of edge, combined with 'gettin' after it' could have you stuck inside and forward, where the board 'stalls' underneath you, unable to rebound into the next turn.

If any of that sounds plausible, wind a few clicks of tilt into the front boot cuff, and make sure you have some contact under the rear heel as you roll to edge on turn entry. Not too much, just enough to know that you're not front foot heavy.

1 hour ago, Erik J said:

If this phenomenon is accompanied by temporary blindness and hairy palms then the the cause was frequent masturbation in your younger years. 

The nuns warned me of this. Confession is the only fix. 

Make haste to Tahoe. Or Mantua, if you prefer.

Edited by Beckmann AG

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

kate-upton-bikini-three-stooges.jpg

Hey, that's my aunt Kate(at the moment, downtown), for salvation, you have to post that picture of yours with the 15' penis in the back of the pickup truck, or face eternal rapture.

Hey Mario, as you state, you set your bindings up to be in the back seat, when you're in the back seat, rear edge turns are effected, try 6 rear, 3 front just to get the feel of not being in the back seat.

Edited by ursle

This used to happen to me in my 4th and 5th year of riding.  I found that I was leaning back too much. If I let my shoulders too far away from the board, I would get stuck in the turn.  If that happens now I just lean forward, bending at the hips, to get my shoulders back toward my center of mass.  That brings me out of the turn.

• Like 2

Similar thing happened twice this past  Saturday riding Coiler Skwal locked out of an attempted right turn on a left traverse on a fairly steep pitch. Thought it was a brain fart till it happened again pushing fairly hard for 4 hrs because we had fresh machine made cord. Paying closer attention to what I was doing helped but unnerving just the same.  

6 hours ago, big mario said:

so every once in a while I find myself locked into a heelside  with no chance of getting out. I finally learned to just ride it out uphill with a butt drag to a stop. There is no rhyme or reason that I can think of, It happens when I drive hard, if I am being lazy, when I am fresh, and when I am tired, I had 4 instances of it last sunday whilst riding my 186 virus gs. Any insight into this particular issue would be greatly appreciated

mario

At the point you feel 'locked in', you have to both move forwards, AND RELAX enough to let your hip get into a position that will allow it to 'cross over'. There is no 'Cross Under' here, unless you can magically shorten your lower leg's bones. But, getting closer to equal pressure between the feet (forwards, soft-tension move) will help. I often will just 'Toss' my arms forwards together to move quickly forwards, as that still lets my mid-torso stay relaxed (no back strain for the arm's motion) enough to get my hips out 'the gravity well', or hole, they're in.  Also crossing the shoulders will help, but IF too 'twisted' [ie, facing into the turn], you risk pulling a few muscles in the back, so, yeah, not always the best choice? Lastly, you can try to flatten the board by squeezing down the toes for a second or so. That will make for an ugly recovery, but can release the edge enough to 'get outa the trench' (it can also cause a "Superman" fall if the board flattens too much!). 

Sitting it out isn't a bad option, as long as you're low enough, and used to laying bikes (or in my case, sliding out on Streetluges) over.  "That wasn't a FALL, it was a Speed Check!" 

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

1 hour ago, ursle said:

Hey, that's my aunt Kate(at the moment, downtown), for salvation, you have to post that picture of yours with the 15' penis in the back of the pickup truck, or face eternal rapture.

At your service.  Googling for this was amusing.

fwmycomm1.jpg

1 hour ago, ursle said:

11 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

At your service.

Tonight we watch @Jack Michaud lose his chance at eternal rapture offered by @ursle due to posting a penis picture.  

Let us hang our heads in this dark moment....

Edited by lonbordin
...so close Jack! The brass ring baby!!!

Kind of related. I've always had problems booting out on heelside,and I run some underhang with the heels even. I tend to go too hard at first and the boots start to drag and then it throws the balance off. A freind suggested letting the edge just engage  first and then lay into it a little more. This seems to be working and it feels like I'm rolling my ankles into the turn more and also keeping more weight on the front foot a little longer. Softer snow is were this is helping. Don't seem to boot out or hang up much when it's nice and firm.

Not many nuns around Utah,but there are lots of missionaries for The Church.

8 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

well, according to Wikipedia, the rapture is at the end of the world where all Christians rise up into the sky to be with Jesus.  I wouldn't want to be eternally rising, so, I think I'm good.

Not "the rapture"... Eternal rapture.

rap·ture

ˈrapCHər/

noun

a feeling of intense pleasure or joy.

"Leonora listened with rapture"

synonyms:ecstasy, bliss, exaltation, euphoria, elation, joy, enchantment, delight, happiness, pleasure

"she gazed at him in rapture"

Eternally!  So... Like being in the middle of the experience of a perfect carve forever.

36 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Not "the rapture"... Eternal rapture.

rap·ture

ˈrapCHər/

noun

a feeling of intense pleasure or joy.

"Leonora listened with rapture"

synonyms:ecstasy, bliss, exaltation, euphoria, elation, joy, enchantment, delight, happiness, pleasure

"she gazed at him in rapture"

Eternally!  So... Like being in the middle of the experience of a perfect carve forever.

LOOSEN UP!

goldlead.jpg