Note to New Members ×

Tele- board? Also, met a guy named Lothar from Essen.

1xsculler

Saw one today on the Mt. and I wish I had taken a pic.  It appears to be a mono-ski with Telemark bindings and boots, one behind the other, i.e. 0/0.  This guy could carve on it, do the bumps and the pow.  He says it's been around for about twenty years.  I'll have to google it.

The only hardbooter I've seen this year, which includes about twenty 9:00am to 11:15am days on the slopes of Crystal Mt., is a guy from Essen, Germany named Lothar.  I got his email so I will get his last name soon, I hope. He was riding a Kessler with a plate.  After struggling most of the morning because of the very hard, nearly unrideable conditions I was pleasantly surprised to seem him struggling to make good carves too.  He said he was involved with founding BOL or with something related to it.  I'll have to get more details.  Just following him down one run I can see how much one might improve their carving by spending time on the slopes with like minded hardbooters.

Edited by 1xsculler
error
  • Like 1

Yeah, fine, it's another way to do this absurd activity called sliding down a hill. But it's all wrong. You can't pressure the nose with free heels. Good alpine snowboarders can do powder and bumps too, no need for a teleboard. 

I was involved with founding BOL, I don't recall a Lothar. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

Was that JG, that railed himself into the woods on a Tele board? 

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Yeah, fine, it's another way to do this absurd activity called sliding down a hill. But it's all wrong

Yup, dumb, stupid, and foolish endeavor. Tele bindings have a PURPOSE, to move UPHILL, then ski back down, with a lesser degree of control. A Teleboard, by it's bindings, offers NO ADVANTAGE in Control, nor any upwards mobility  The Board itself is possibly a decent Skwal, or half of a powder-pair-of-skis, but, mounted in the configuration of a "Tele-Board", it's as bad as using Rollerblade wheels on your DH Longboard.  Just foolish. And, sorry, JG, no offense or judgement of your sanity. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

You can't pressure the nose with free heels.

Well, actually, you can.  Contrary to popular belief, effective skiing is done off the sole of the foot, not the cuff of the boot.

If you aren't levering the boot tongue, you don't need a fixed heel for most circumstances.

7 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Tele bindings have a PURPOSE, to move UPHILL, then ski back down, with a lesser degree of control.

That might be your experience with the gear, but I don't think many accomplished telemark skiers would agree.

Might not look like it sometimes, but telemark/freeheel skiing is more about finesse than power.

As to the teleboard, it takes the two most obvious liabilities of snowboarding and telemark, smashes them together, and yet it has appeal to a small part of the market.

For sure, it's a real head scratcher.

Sort of like snowboarding in 'ski boots'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

They're about as smart and able as a Yugo automobile was.

Hey hey, careful now, you are talking here to a proud Yugoslav born Canuck! ;) 

I can go to Belgrade and buy a fine running used Yugo even now, 20 years since the Human Angel flattened Yugo factory. Both facts tell you something about the car. 

• Like 1

There was a guy that rode altA for years. Tele boot front foot, hiking boot in water ski foot cup rear... We called it the "Struggle Board".  Eventually banned.  He came from Colorado I think it was his company Tele-Board.  That was when the knee droppers were using a staff instead of ski poles.  Not many true Telemark turns happening out there.

6 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

... I hope he never tries that thing anywhere near Blue Hill, Mass... ...

They're about as smart and able as a Yugo automobile was.

Perhaps you're concerned he'll ride rings around you on it. Most of the snowboarding world has those attitudes against us, should we not aspire to be better than that? I hope a gang of people riding those things descend on my local hill and kick all our arses.

I thought Yugo was quite respectable. If you're looking for stupid and useless I think the rest of the world could provide a few pointers at this time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michael.a said:

I thought he was from Stuttgart, but Lothar aka under the nick McFussel (I think hes even registered here) is one of the co-organizers of Carving Masters and helped co-found the German equivalent of the Bomber forums, frozen-backside.de. Very positive guy.

Any chance his full name is Lothar Holzkamp?  To eliminate any confusion Lothar was on a Kessler with a plate, TD2s (I think), toe bail on the front, Step-in on the rear, Deeluxe T700s, BTS and what I thought was a very cool Hammer brand helmut.  I'd really like to know his last name as I may have known him in a Bludenz, Austrian mountain hospital in 1963/64 where we were both recovering from injuries.

3 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Any chance his full name is Lothar Holzkamp?  To eliminate any confusion Lothar was on a Kessler with a plate, TD2s (I think), toe bail on the front, Step-in on the rear, Deeluxe T700s, BTS and what I thought was a very cool Hammer brand helmut.  I'd really like to know his last name as I may have known him in a Bludenz, Austrian mountain hospital in 1963/64 where we were both recovering from injuries.

Oh man, like I met him a couple of times but not like I know him. I'll have to refresh my memory but PM me as I don't feel comfortable talking about someone out in the open like this, the internet's become a dangerous place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Well, actually, you can.  Contrary to popular belief, effective skiing is done off the sole of the foot, not the cuff of the boot.

If you aren't levering the boot tongue, you don't need a fixed heel for most circumstances.

Good thing nobody is talking about skiing!

Why don't you mount up a pair of your tele bindings on one of your boards, have a go and get back to us. 

8 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

Good thing nobody is talking about skiing! 

Why don't you mount up a pair of your tele bindings on one of your boards, have a go and get back to us. 

My mistake. It looked like a general comment.  

Retcon in progress...

I'll pass on the dare, but thanks for thinking I'd try in the name of discovery.

If I did, the problem would be binding overhang/offset, and an inability to maintain toeside board tilt, not the ability to pressure the nose.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Oh, teleboards are fun.  I got one 3-4 years ago and get out on it a few times a year.  The angles are so steep that the free heel doesn't really matter, you carve with side to side pressuring of the boot.  Is it better than snowboarding / skiing / carving?  No... but sure is a fun thing to do when the slopes are empty and all I have are my telemark boots on.  The board I have is 192cm long, pretty soft flex, bends well and rails on carves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

I'll pass on the dare, but thanks for thinking I'd try in the name of discovery.

Dude, he totally called you a chicken. Not just any chicken, but a Rhode Island Red, a prolific egg layer, but a chicken notorious for its cowardice, especially in the matter of freeing its accessory metatarsus. Strong words...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

What's the matter Biff...

Bonus point for conflating teleboarding with BTTF.  Hoverboarding? Teleboarding? Hmm...

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

Dude, he totally called you a chicken. Not just any chicken, but a Rhode Island Red, a prolific egg layer, but a chicken notorious for its cowardice, especially in the matter of freeing its accessory metatarsus. Strong words...

He knows I'm getting over the flu, and that's a suggestion that I enjoy a nice bowl of soup. Backhanded way of expressing concern for my health, but so be it.

Having some experience with poultry science and husbandry, I'll inform you that what you take for cowardice, is, in fact, industry. Hard to justify one's scratch if one doesn't produce, and it's hard to lay an egg when dead.

Had some New Hampshire reds once, extremely aggressive. Pecked at each other like a bunch of republicans until the coop was empty. That was a poor investment.

And: There's no need to proceed with an experiment when you can interpolate the outcome. Many years ago I fabricated and observed the alpha test of a set of 'free toe' bindings (Frito's), so I may be ahead of the both of youse on the boot/binding/board viability thing.

Edited by Beckmann AG
things best left unsaid
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Bonus point for conflating teleboarding with BTTF.  Hoverboarding? Teleboarding? Hmm...

As usual, you've completely overthought the allusion. He's clearly referencing Willy Loman's implied last words, just before turning on the gas. Back to the Future is such a reach.

I spent a couple of hours riding with a guy on a Teleboard several years ago at the Canyons. I don't know who was more surprised, me to see an actual Teleboard, or him that someone knew what it was. I have to say, I was impressed. He could carve as well on the Teleboard, as most people do on alpine boards. He was also a good rider in the trees. 

3 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

As usual, you've completely overthought the allusion. He's clearly referencing Willy Loman's implied last words, just before turning on the gas. 

He says, as he implies a connection to Ted and Sylvia.

3 hours ago, lordmetroland said:

Back to the Future is such a reach.

In terms of actual chronology, your arms appear longer. 

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

I promptly forgot DOAS immediately after 8th grade.

Prior to grade 6, I sometimes forgot my lunch bag on the school bus while engaged in roadside dendrology.  Then I got a larger carryall with room for lunch and that snappy new Trapper Keeper(!), and voila, no more  'Dearth Of A Sandwich' come noon.

Thanks for the memory, though.