Note to New Members ×

Naivete' Anyone running Hardboots on split boards?

Algunderfoot

My Wife and I are beginning to plan our retirement inda beautiful UP of Michigan, and we decided one facet will be adding split boards to the quiver, Voile swallowtails to be exact. I'm wondering if anyone is set up to use your hardboots (E.g. Deeluxe 325's)? Or do we need to add some Tele boots to the gear room?

Any recommendations on plate bindings? I've seen some cool billet plates lately but wasn't certain I could get comfy forward angles out of them....any intel would help tremendously!

Also ISO of a Viole 180 V Tail and appropriate binding hardware....will post to Classifieds when I know more about what to look for....

Thanks, in advance

Edited by Algunderfoot
Spell check and added content

Here's a couple other threads  http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/41389-splitboard-backcountry-gear-and-settings/&page=1

http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/39762-dynafit-tlt5-for-carving-and-powder/#comment-434101

a post from last year

I've been using scarpa pegasus (softer maestrale) for 20 days so far this season they rock as a carving boot. I got them for the venture odin split, and was wanting to use them on my nidecker escapes, even used them on the 22yr old grocer last week.

Don't feel a need to mod/cut the boot as I use them for skiing also, and with flexy binder they feel pretty similar to my 224s with stiff stepins.

I ride the back foot in walk mode and use thermo flex liners when boarding for softer flex than the tongued touring liners for skiing.

16510974113_b13c8973cc_c.jpg

ps, bought them on a close out deal for $200

wider last than tlt5,

307 bsl on size 27 at 40*/30* on a 25 wide board

SB hardboots suck for walking and touring, HEAVY.

my scarpas are just over 2lbs per foot, 224 raichle w/ same liner almost 5lbs per; traction soles, way bigger rom in walk/tour mode, great heel hold.

I've got sparks dyno binders (has bomber bales) coming for this season. weight near the same as phantoms for half the price though not as cool state of the art.

Edited by b0ardski

Hi Algunderfoot,

I also ride splitboard with hardboots but with some AT boots ( self modified TLT6) instead of SB hardboots. As stated by Boardski they are way too annoying and heavy for splitboarding even if doable. Dynafit tech toes is probably the best way to go for the climbing while you will find various types of plates for the downhill. (modified voilé plates, cheap, slightly heavy with some stack, Spark Dyno DH quite affordable and very well done, Phantom techy and high-end bindings for sure and quite pricey).

Some good info and pictures and more links in the link posted above by Boardski.

Last thing, splitboard-power.fr seem to claim with Pierre Gignoux (a skimo legend) to be the firsts building a true hardboot thought for splitboarding. 

More here:   http://splitboard-power.fr/

And here:

• Like 2

Kress had a super nice carbon Donek split, Saber I think. Was made a little too soft in the nose though and ended up breaking...

Voile hardware with sidewinder bails. I think front binding is maxed angle in first picture...

kressdoneksplit.jpg

bombersplit.jpg

Edited by *Ace*

Ladia - looks like you are using 2 different boots. Can you comment?

RoroSnow - what mods did you do with the TLT6 and do you ride unlocked? 

I am so conflicted after watching that video!

Right now I have a pair of TLT6 ready to checkout in another window and was ready to pull the trigger just before  I watched that video. The only hangup is that I really like progressive springs (BTS on Raichle and DGSS  on UPZ) and could not figure a way to make either work with the TLT6.  There seem to be less stock of TLT6 and the 7 wont work due to the toes.  Looks like he may have solved my hangup but carbon will be hard to fit and the price will be hard to sell to my wife :)

On 11/3/2016 at 11:53 AM, Algunderfoot said:

My Wife and I are beginning to plan our retirement inda beautiful UP of Michigan, and we decided one facet will be adding split boards to the quiver, Voile swallowtails to be exact. I'm wondering if anyone is set up to use your hardboots (E.g. Deeluxe 325's)? Or do we need to add some Tele boots to the gear room?

Any recommendations on plate bindings? I've seen some cool billet plates lately but wasn't certain I could get comfy forward angles out of them....any intel would help tremendously!

Also ISO of a Viole 180 V Tail and appropriate binding hardware....will post to Classifieds when I know more about what to look for....

Thanks, in advance

Let me preface this remark by saying that I am FAR from being a serious backcountry rider. However, I have both Scarpa Tornado boots and some Deeluxe AF700s, both of which I've used for splitboarding. The Scarpas are great going uphill but unacceptable for me going downhill as they don't allow enough forward lean. Buell has posted some tips here in the past on how to mod Scarpas to get enough forward lean, but I have never gotten around to making the changes. The Deeluxes are totally acceptable for both up and down (note, I don't have a spring in these boots, just the standard 5-position lean adjuster), but are obviously heavy. If you're looking to do big climbs, then you need to trim weight with a lighter boot, no question. If you're just getting your feet wet, I think they're fine. 

I ride with a Voile and am not crazy about the flex pattern...have considered just using my approach skis for the climb and carrying a board on my back, but haven't tried that setup yet. Not efficient, but again, I'm not trying to knock out huge days in the backcountry, more of a mellow climb and a short ride back to the car. 

I have a donek hazelwood split and use the voile system with bomber tops and scarpa AT boots.  It really works pretty good.  I also have used approach skis which also has advantages in speed of transition and using your favorite board .  Opps wrong hazelwood . Here is the right one 

1434173584116.jpg

20160307_122756.jpg

20140428_103321.jpg

iphone 3gs pics 2638.JPG

Edited by P06781
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, neanderthal said:

Ladia - looks like you are using 2 different boots. Can you comment?

RoroSnow - what mods did you do with the TLT6 and do you ride unlocked? 

I am so conflicted after watching that video!

Right now I have a pair of TLT6 ready to checkout in another window and was ready to pull the trigger just before  I watched that video. The only hangup is that I really like progressive springs (BTS on Raichle and DGSS  on UPZ) and could not figure a way to make either work with the TLT6.  There seem to be less stock of TLT6 and the 7 wont work due to the toes.  Looks like he may have solved my hangup but carbon will be hard to fit and the price will be hard to sell to my wife :)

Here's apicture of the mods already done on my Dynafits TLT5 Performance (not TLT6 as written before, sorry guys)...

Forward lean plate milled for more forward flexion. Forward and slightly backward on the front foot (regular), only forward on the back foot. (Dremel)

Front foot boot cuff shorten in height (Dremel)

Put a snowboard toothstrap and ratchet on the ankle but finally took it off. It wasn't working so well...

I also widen the toebox with a clamp, boiling water into the boot, tennis ball to avoid some collapsing, and hair dryer from the outside. Worked pretty well.

Next mod to come :  new ankle strap for better heel hold, put on the cuff rivets. Picture update once done....

I do not ride unlocked at all. I do not use the additional tongue that came with the boots.

Splitboard.jpg

Neanderthal question about different boots.

Front is Scarpa Maestrale  for fit it does not hurt my foot and back is Dynafit Zero. It has better flex. I prefer Dynafit but after about 2 years My left foot started to hurt badly and no boot fitting was successful. I am using this set up on alpine boards also. A couple years ago I tried UPZ RC 8 but they did not work for me so last year I got ATB with the almost same result. I think I just do not like too tall boots. I am ready to do radical "surgery" on ATBs this weekend. It will work or they will go to the garbage can.

gfOGJgD.jpg

surfy-filly... not really splitboard but my backcountry setup, board may vary, used along with approach skis/snowshoes/crampons/whichever... really nice to live in one pair of boots for days in backcountry due to intuition liners: boots stays outdoor nightly, and then warmed up for 10secs over gas - and you have warm and dry boots every day for days

fin's race carbon retro binders

lowa civetta outer shells

libtech banana hammock 165 surfy megastar

• 2 weeks later...

Hardshell boots on splitboards, absolutely!  Quite a few splitters do.  They are not like alpine hardboots though since we don't really need power over the split in the same way we want for carving.  We certainly do not want the weight since a major part of splitting is taking the gear uphill.  To date, our hardshell boots have most all started out as lightweight AT boots before being modified for splitboarding (with a few exceptions like Boardski). 

I am really stoked on the Gignoux splitboard boot in the videos posted earlier.  Hopefully they are tough enough for some rock dancing.  The light weight is amazing and having an elastomer controlled forward flex could be a great step forward.  We are still waiting on a more affordable splitboard hardshell boot, but it is nice to have a first option.

Overall, with some exceptions, the TLT6 is the go to boot for splitboarders.  You can sometimes find them pretty cheap on sale.  The modifications that riders perform vary from just removing the power strap to a host of mods intended to soften the forward flex, increase the lateral/medial flex, dampen the ride, even moving buckles around.  Generally, at a minimum, most riders will want to increase the forward motion of the upper cuff for splitboarding.  John Keffler of Phantom is about to release a boot mod kit for the TLT6 which, depending on how far you want to modify your boot, will really help.

Dynafit toepieces with adapters from Spark or Phantom are really nice for skinning any elevation when compared to using the binding plate.  I think Phantom and Spark both sell the toe piece with their adapter.

Phantom bindings are the best thought out AT boot binding system.  The way they connect the board halves together and the rider to the board is so much better than you can get with current puck system bindings.  Spark Dynos have been very well received but do rely on the Voile puck system.  Those are the two serious US binding options and we are lucky to have them.  If you want ride high angles, that will be a struggle with both options.  I think some riders have been able to get Voile pucks to relatively higher angles.

Here is my current set up.  The board is a super light carbon Amplid Milligram.  Amplid is Peter Bauer's small snowboard company, which is really cool.  He knows how to build good boards.  The bindings, clips, toe piece adapters, and heel risers are Phantom.

DSC00247.jpg

• Like 2

Pretty happy with my setup ( split 4 178cm phénix swallowtail)...Spark Dyno HD / Ranger bails

I have heard first feedbacks from the Gignoux not long ago. Pierre Tardivel says they are great, but he is an extreme skiier turned snowboarder and I am not sure he is representative of hardbooting idea of snowboarding ( he switched from softboots directly to the Gignoux ( price tag around 1600 euros but since he doesn't seem to pay for them ( ambassador) its not relevant ). Some friends tried the Gignoux Carbon made for skiing, and told me the comfort is near zero downhill: it is boots designed to win races uphill and the downhill part is secondary ( aka: comfort and insulation)....I have maxed out my uphill to 1300m last winter with TLT6 plastic edition and my setup...yes it is a bit heavy, but comfy as hell and I do get pleasure dowhill..

Last but not least, wouldn't rely on advice from spliboard-power that is ripping things ( ideas, names, website) from Phenix since day one and not even producing himself...will be settled in court soon..

Nils

Just for your info:

Splitboards is not new stuff...before the Nitro model people like Pierre Gignoux already had something going in '91-'92...funny thing is his front clips look pretty much like the ranger ones I have on my setup!

Tail assembly is ridiculously smart too...!

25 years difference and nothing so different!

N.

Pierre Gignoux board 1992.jpg

IMG_20160306_114953036_HDR.jpg

Edited by nils
  • Like 1

Hey..I have no idea what the board is like in real...Pierre Gignoux posted them pics on his FB...will ask :) its all custom made by him. I assume the bindings slide onto pucks? we'll see! Pretty impressive...funny because before internet days people could keep doing R&D alone and tech would never be known..

N.

A mentionned in my last post, here is my last mod on my TLT 5P.

That's a new ankle strap from Scarpa Maestrale model riveted on the original Dynafit cuff rivet.

Quite easy to do if done carefully and a lot better heel hold than the original Dynfit one that was too much on the top of the foot.

Splitboard-0011.jpg