Note to New Members ×

Forum Etiquette and calling "dibs"

bruincounselor

I'm posting this here because it's sort of off topic. Mods- please delete or move as you see fit.

I recently decided I had too many boards for life here in the flat and posted what I think are a few interesting older boards for sale at affordable prices. Immediately "dibs" was called on several of them. What is the consensus on this?

Is the equipment off the market when this happens? Does the fact that a person calls dibs prevent you from expressing interest (i.e. second in line)? Is a posting essentially closed to other viewers once this happens? What happens when the dibs caller backs out? Should he go in and edit the original dibs post to reflect the item is still available?

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

As a seller: If it's followed minutes later by a full post requesting a shipping quote or whatever, sure. Otherwise, worthless. I usually put something to the effect of "no dibs" in my for sale post. 

Same for Kijiji ads: First person to give me money gets the stuff. A little cold, but I've turned away good buyers for someone that called dibs but never showed up. 

As a buyer: I'll post my interest and PM the seller. The seller makes that call. 

in the rare instances that I have sold gear, I have taken a first come first served basis in the order that emails/replies have come in, and posted accordingly. I have been on the other end of that, where someone has pm'ed, and the seller has not let anyone else know, and not gotten that item. I find that really frustrating. Full

Edited by big mario

2 hours ago, bruincounselor said:

Immediately "dibs" was called on several of them. What is the consensus on this?

Failing to honor dibs is to court anarchy. It's the only thing that separates us from the animals. Calling shotgun, jinx and padiddle are similarly sacred. Also olly olly oxen free.

• Like 2

Or, just ignore them.  ;)  You can sell to that other guy that might have the money if his barber's dog passes obedience school in 2 weeks, or you can get a PayPal from me in 15 minutes.  

But, you can't ignore a call of shotgun.  We're civilized people.  

• Like 2

Whenever I sell anything online (anywhere) I usually ignore most comments, until I see something like "looks great, how much do you wan't for it shipped to my zipcode, and how can I pay you". I just sold a bunch of surfboards on craigslist with tons of photos and detailed specs. Got tons of emails from people asking stupid questions that they easily could have answered just by reading the post and looking at the pictures, the people who end up buying usually send a message that looks like "If you still have the Vernor, I'll buy it. I can meet you today just say where and when".

I'm guilty as charged, as one of the culprits in OP, not ashamed to admit. 

Dibs serves to get in line while searching for more info, yet doesn't stop seller from selling the board to another party. 

Bomber is a place populated by gearheads and very technical people. More info you place in the add, less likely to get lots of questions and complete the sale quickly. For a while I've been looking for a below 24 waisted board, even have a thread of my own on that topic. I needed that info before I could commit. All of your boards looked as if they might fit the bill. They didn't, we move on. 

On a side note, I like traffic I'm my threads, even when tire kicking. It sparks interest and keeps thread on top... 

Edited by BlueB
Traffic not tragic

Sellers should do whatever they want to do with THEIR stuff.  The previous owners of my house sold to my wife and I because they liked us, despite our being  the lowest of four offers (the first day the house went on the market).  This is also part of what constitutes a free market, not simply highest $ or first in line.  

I try to honor the order in which people contact me about an item for sale.  Then come all of the variable.  A bird in the hand worth two in the bush, do I want to ship to Canada ?, wait for  money order ?,  language barrier, local p/u vs shipping, etc.

^That's actually part of a little known clause of SALT II (not a sequel to the movie starring Angelina Jolie).

'Dibs' on the other hand, is only binding if both buyer and seller are age 10 or younger. One can certainly try to call 'Dibs' as an adult, but it probably won't turn out well.

Tried that angle in a moment of desperation at the bakery the other day, on account of someone's grandma making a move on the last of the almond macaroons.

She kneecapped me with her cane.

Turns out it was Tonya Harding. (She hasn't aged well).

• Like 1

^

'Macaroon mania' is an actual behavioral affliction.

(The popular video game of your misspent youth, whereat you squandered your inheritance one quarter at a time, was almost called Mac-Man).

'Toothsome lass' doesn't mean what you think it means. More to the point, are you calling me a 'Nancy-Boy'?  

On 2016-11-05 at 9:10 AM, bruincounselor said:

Shipping to Canada is easy from the US - as long as someone else is paying for it.

Yeah, I don't get why some US sellers refuse to ship to Canada.  It isn't any more work, just more money which they pass on to the buyer.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill
  • Like 1