Note to New Members ×

Which Liners for UPZ?

Aracan

Hello all,

recently I noticed that the liners in my UPZ boots are nearing the end of their useful life. Now I am contemplating what liners to get.

Fit: I was  happy with the fit of the stock liners, except that the tongue on the rear foot needed to be pushed into place often to avoid shin bang.

Stiffness: Stiffness was also fine. I definitely do NOT want to stiffen the boots with different liners. I would rather keep the stiffness as it is, or even soften them a bit.

Price: I noticed that replacement stock liners are not exactly the budget option, costing between 40 and 80 % more than thermo-moldable liners.

So: Can anyone recommend moldable liners that are similar in stiffness and volume? I notice that Bomber offers two different liners. Carversparadise (the German site) offers five. Which ones would I want? Or should I stick with the stock liners?

Thank you,

Stefan

Several years ago I tried putting Deeluxe Speed Red liners in my RC-10s to replace the stock ones.  "Speed Red" is not a current model and may or may not be the same as the current red-colored ones.  These liners took up much more space in the shell, in part because they have actual foam around the toe area rather than just thin fabric.  My liners were heated in a proper oven and molded with caps over my toes but still were far too tight in the toe box.  Over the course of 3 visits the boot fitter had to bash down the toe area foam with heated tools, then ultimately heated the shells and pushed out the toe box plastic.  Only then did it become tolerable and my toes were still being squished somewhat.  The nice foamed toe area must have been warmer but I couldn't tell because my toes were always smashed together.

My experience might have been the worst possible case because of the shell size and liner size combination (I don't know) but over the years I've read accounts from other people on the forum with similar tales.  If I were to fall in love with these liners, I'd probably have to use the next larger shell size.

Since then I have been using foamed Surefoot liners that I have been quite pleased with but are expensive and probably not available in continental Europe.  I do have a few things to say about the Surefoot experience based on having it done twice now.  There must be other brands of foamed liners in Europe.  (Conform'able?)

Outside of that I don't have any specific recommendations.  Just beware of some specific liners that take up way more volume in the shell.

I put Black Diamond touring liners in mine. I tried a set of Deeluxes, and the wrap design stiffened the boot to the point where my light weight couldn't flex them. It ended up feeling like I was nailed to a board when I tried to ride. So I went with an option that had the same (tongue) design as the Flo, but was about half the weight, figuring that would keep the flex pattern roughly the same.

I didn't heat mold mine, but they settled to my feet quickly and felt great. The ride is definitely softer than with the Flo, and they work great for me. No issues with volume changes. Cost wise, they're around the $180 mark, so about par for the course for a decent set of liners. This is the latest model of mine here : http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_CA/ski-boots/men%27s-at-liners-BD120318_cfg.html#q=liner&start=3

• Like 1

I've ridden 1 year with Palau Overlap hard liner. Good and warm liner but a bit to thin for my feet.

This year I'm riding with intuition Luxury medium thickness liner.

Both liners are good and warm , the intuition Luxury medium thickness liner fills more room in the boot.

Moneywise, the Palau is way cheaper 

I use the red Deeluxe Thermo Flex Liners DCL 131 in my UPZ boots.  I like a little more toe wiggle room so I typically use a strip of neoprene across the end of my toes, one between my big toe and second toe, and a neoprene toe cap when molding the liners.  No issue with volume.  

I want to try the stiffer DEL141 liners as I find that some bony points of my foot/ankle can bottom on the shell in high-energy situations, but I'm worried about the flex change.  

The Intuition Alpine liner was a bit stiffer in compression than the Deeluxe 131 liners, but I didn't use these in the UPZ boots so I can't comment on any forward/lateral flex changes.