Note to New Members ×

Raichle AF 700s and Trench Digger 3s

eastCoast90s

Hi everyone,

I am getting back into riding after a very long hiatus (it seems this is somewhat of a theme with some of the posts i see!). I purchased a new ride along with Bomber's Trench Digger 3 plate setup (sadly my Rossi Throttle somehow disappeared over the last 10+ years). Unfortunately my boots, which I only used for a season or two, don't fit! They're too long,  Raichle AF 700s (pics below).

So, what is the suggested remedy? I seem to remember this being a problem in the past and for some reason I thought the bails could be flipped or something but that doesn't seem to be the case now (could be faulty memory, its been a long time!). I never had Bomber plates, just burton or rossi. Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

post-305187-0-69199300-1451571478_thumb.

post-305187-0-97087200-1451571483_thumb.

post-305187-0-60066500-1451571487_thumb.

post-305187-0-44056600-1451571493_thumb.

Looks like you're close. You can get some more with the micro adjustment in the bail lugs,they recommend not to have any threads showing. Otherwise you may need to get longer bails or longer plates. What size are your boots? Flipping the bails is usually if you need to shorten the spread for small boots.

Edited by digger jr

I have the same boots, 28.5. I didn't think they fit, but once you max out all the settings they do. Barely. You have to keep the toe bail angled a little up as you slide it over the toe of the boot then crank it down. In the house it seems really sketchy and I posted the same comment here. On the mountain the cold seems to help and you get used to it. It's far different from my previous burton race bindings.

My new purchase this year was some 325s. It's far better. If you can swing it...

Sorry guys, I can't believe the response was so quick! I need to setup email alerts. A few things:

oldsnowboards.com - Yes, I am in the last set of holes on the toe and heal

hans - I honestly can't figure out the size of the boot, I have looked all over but can't find a marking. 28.5 comes to mind, but it was a decade ago.

michael a - Regarding centering of the boot, I'm not sure I understand. The heal and toe bales are in the same set of holes (e.g. first set), by definition isn't this centered? That is, there is no other mechanism to center a boot is there? 

lucasgo - It seems like we have the same issue. Are you referring to the Delux 325 boot? 

Thanks so much for the help everyone, I'm just trying to determine if a) I am doing this wrong as it has been a while b) If no to 'a', then should i buy new boots or look for different bindings?

The photo of your heel bail in place and where the toe lines up looks identical to what mine did. Trying to upload photo of my boot size, stamped on inside heel of the boots. Says 319mm. Fold back the top 2 buckles and it says "28-30.5", so these are some pretty big boots. I wear size 10.5 shoe, if that helps.

Your new bindings are good. Just slip the toe lever over, it'll be a tight squeeze. Barely fits, and you'll think it doesn't. Then latch it down. Your boot will be locked in tighter than you imagined possible.

post-2835-0-10352500-1451589287_thumb.jp

Argh! Mine are even bigger then! 329... I wonder if I can fit into 10.5's, that's my normal shoe size, I'm not sure why these are bigger. I probably bought them from our ski shop sight unseen (didn't have the opportunity to try them on). 

Is there anywhere on the East that I can try on some Delux boots? I know I can google.. but any ideas?

Is there anywhere on the East that I can try on some Delux boots? I know I can google.. but any ideas?

Deeluxe boots are identical to Raichles. You've got good boots as long as they fit you well.

michael a - Regarding centering of the boot, I'm not sure I understand. The heal and toe bales are in the same set of holes (e.g. first set), by definition isn't this centered? That is, there is no other mechanism to center a boot is there? 

Dont rely on the same set of holes to indicate if the boot is centered. Eyeball it. Raichle/Deeluxe boots have a little arrow on the shell. When setting up your heel/toe bails make sure that arrow stays in the absolute middle of the binding. Here's a TD3 setup video from Bomber https://youtu.be/TE1JBBw-8zo?t=5m30s

Fin does it weird though, he first fits the boot to get a good fit and then talks about centering, which itself will require you to readjust everything again.

Sent pm. His boot sole is 329mm. My raichle (28.5 liner) were 319 and barely, scarily, fit. My new boots (28.0) have sole length 303mm.

It would be great to have some max sole length identified on the binding sale page. Imo, these boots aren't gonna fit.

And for centering.. it's irrelevant when you have maxed out the adjustments.

Edited by Lucasgo

Thanks Everyone,

Yeah, they are def. not going to fit, total bummer. My Raichle's have a 329mm sole as Lucasgo mentioned. I am game to buy the Deeluxe 325s if that fixes my problem. I don't see a size guide on Deeluxe's website, is this link still legit?

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/PDFs/Sizing_boots.pdf

If so, has anyone put 27 sized boots (I measured at 27.5 my longest foot, my understanding is I should downsize) 325s on the Bomber Trench Digger 3's? What about 28's?

Again, thanks for all the help

Thanks to everyone for the help, and Lucasgo especially to you and your PMs. I went ahead and purchased the 325s from Bomber in Mondo 28. I'm not sure I would have been able to do any of this without everyone's input. It's been a long time since i have thrown down a carve, and it's been just as long since I have known anyone who rides an alpine board. Thanks again, and happy new year! Let's hope I remember how to ride....

Kevin

As I said, I wish I'd gone up to 29.0 with my feet actually measuring 28.2, but the 28s will do, after heat molding.

If your foot measures 28.2, a 28M is the right size. The liners in the current models are very high volume and make it seems as if your boot is way too small. Trust us, it is not and will fit perfectly once molded. Sizing up would end up causing a lot more slip than you would want once molding and a little pack-out occurs.

Saying this more for others who may read and think they should size up, but it isn't the case. Just about everyone who has bought boots from us lately has called thinking they're too small when they put them on right out of the box. I got new boots at the start of the season and totally thought the same thing until we did a little shell testing, but it was hard to deny the complete toe crunch at first! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall that Bomber had special long plates available for people with big feet.  

However, Mondo 28 feet are probably about the average size.  Something seems off.  I only have UPZ boots, but I assume many people here have M28 (or bigger!) Raichle/Deeluxe boots in TD3 bindings.  

I recall that Bomber had special long plates available for people with big feet.

Yes, that's why Jim asked for boot size, but the long base plate isn't needed until M29/30 depending on boot model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used those boots in M30 with TD3s with no issue. The newer TD3 toe bails are shorter, though. You could look for longer bails or the long baseplate. Use the boots that work best, then get the bindings to fit.

The SB shells (325, 225) are a little shorter than the AF (700), for the same marked size. They also have a different shape.