Note to New Members ×

Getting started: need advices on boots (ski boot mods?) - and old boards

t-bone5

Hello all!

I'm a seasoned freerider and I love aggressive carving. LOVE it. I tried hardbooting once several years ago and really liked it. I've been wanting to start alpine snowboard for years and I decided I want to try to make it happen this year (yay). The thing is, it seems alpine snowboarding is for (semi)rich folks and/or full-time workers only (the gear is EXPENSIVE)... and since I am a heavily indebted PhD student I can't afford expensive equipment. So far I found cheap used boards I could start with (even though most of them are dinosaurs, I think I could find something decent) but it's freakin hard to find cheap boots (I live in Ottawa, Canada). And from what I read, boot quality is really important. So I have 2 questions:

1) CHEAP BOOTS / SKI BOOT MODIFICATIONS. As if it wasn't hard enough to find alpine snowboard gear these days, I am a 5’6 female with mondo size 24/24.5 feet. Unless a miracle happens, there's no way I'll find good used or discount boots. If any of you knows a website where I could find some quality cheap hardboots, please let me know. I'm willing to come get stuff at the boarder, i.e. buy frmo a US website and have it ship in a US post office to avoid expensive shipping fees; or meet with someone living near the border (NY or VT states). 

My other option would be to use ski boots, but I'm not an idiot and I know that in order to ride in ski boots I'd have to seriously customize them. I've googled for ski boots mods but couldn't find anything interesting. Can anyone help me with this? Also, do you think it's worth it to try customize ski boots in order to avoid hardboot high costs? By the way, I've already read lots of forum discussions on the "can I use ski boots with my alpine board" subject. But what people mostly discuss is using them as is and hardbooters being like

:nono: 

and sometimes

:smashfrea  (haha).

Lots of hardbooters say it's not a good idea (I know that), some say it a no-no unless you customize them but never say how. I've also read stuff like this: http://www.alpinecarving.com/boots.html, which is very interesting but not precise enough. 

2) OLD BOARDS (BRANDS AND SIZES). The other question I'm trying to get answers for is about old boards. Most boards selling under 400$ are dinosaurs (late 1990s-early 2000s). I don't really mind but the problem is that like real dinosaurs, they went extinct (which makes my analogy great haha); consequently, I can't find specs infos, size charts or reviews and that makes it really hard to know what to buy/search for in terms of brand and length. I weight 125-ish lbs (let's say I'm searching for a board for 125 to 135 lbs) and I'm 5"6 (I know boards are weight-specific but just in case anyone wonders about my center of gravity or something). I have an aggressive style so I'm not afraid of putting my back into my turns (meaning I'm not afraid of a board that's a little long for my weight). So I'm looking for general answers on what old brands/models are good and what length (1. ideal and 2. acceptable) I should go for. But since I know the length/weight ratio can be specific to the brand or model, I'm also searching for very specific answers (for example someone could recommend a 161 Swoard Extremecarver).  

So yeah.. I have lots of questions  :freak3:  

Thanks!! 

Welcome on board!

I think I might have a full set for you on the cheap, in Canadian funds. I need to go check about the boots.

You can drop me an email to:

Boris at blueb dot biz

Other then that, Dalbello CarveX ski boots will work without any mods.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! It's exciting to see another female looking to join the ranks of the hardbooting world! I would follow up with BlueB on the used equipment he has. I would also highly encourage you to seek out dedicated alpine snowboard hardboots instead of ski boots. The flex patterns and varied stiffness will treat you better, especially since you already know the basics of carving on your softies.

Our classifieds section (http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/forum/30-classifieds/) is an excellent source for used gear. 

For you I would recommend looking for a used pair of Deeluxe LeMans or Deeluxe 225 or 325. LeMans are the older version of what is currently the 325 and is what I rode when I first started. We have similar sized feet (however, I'm much shorter and only in my dream do I weigh a-buck-25), and I sold my old boots about two years ago, sadly.

The other budget-friendly option could be the Head models that we still have in stock here. Head no longer makes boots, but Bomber purchased the entire remaining inventory, of which we still have some "weird" sizes (small and large), and I know we have some 24 and/or 24.5. Current retail on these is $299 (http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/Head_c_56.html). The Deeluxe boot is superior, but this could be a good alternative while you're starting out in the transition. 

For boards, I would suggest looking for something that was made within the last 6 years. The technology has changed quite a bit during this time and a "newer"  used board is going to benefit you, again, because you're an experienced rider who already knows how to carve on soft boots. Here are some models I would recommend: Donek Free Carve, Coiler VSR or Stubby, Prior WCR, Donek Pilot (maaaaaaybe, because you know how to carve on softboots I think you will out perform this board more quickly than is worth the investment). For any of these (or whatever board you spring for), I would recommend a length in the low-160's. 

Might I also suggest you check out the East Coast Expression Session (http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/forum/51-east-coast-expression-session-eces/), which will be at Stratton, VT in February. It's a great chance to demo a lot of equipment, so you can try some other boards (beyond what you can find used) to get an idea of what you'd like to save up for. For me, a board is like a good pair of jeans. Some don't fit, some fit alright, and then there's those one or two favorites that you always want to wear, which is why demo-ing can be so advantageous (but is likely a luxury you won't have while shopping around the classifieds and grabbing something used - the good stuff goes fast).

Good luck and welcome to the community!  :biggthump

I am a heavily indebted PhD student I can't afford expensive equipment. 

My other option would be to use ski boots, but I'm not an idiot and I know that in order to ride in ski boots I'd have to seriously customize them.

I have an aggressive style so I'm not afraid of putting my back into my turns (meaning I'm not afraid of a board that's a little long for my weight). So I'm looking for general answers on what old brands/models are good.

Field of study?

Peanut allergies?

Type/shape of foot? Tibial length (proportional, short, or long) and lower leg volume?

The Full Tilt/Raichle Flexon shell works relatively well, provided it's a good match for your lower extremities.  With a fairly narrow last and slim cuff, they won't work if you have grape-stompers and a 'large' calf/achilles area.

You don't need to seriously customize ski boots in order to get started on plate bindings.  You do, however, need to seriously customize your expectations regarding how you plan to operate the board.

Ski boots are generally more responsive than comparable snowboard hard boots, and as such you need to do several things:

1. Pay particular attention to detail when configuring your bindings.

b. Understand that minimalism and finesse can be more 'powerful' than aggression and muscle.

III. Learn to walk before you try to run, with regard to both internal process and outward appearance.

The 'wrong' boot that fits your anatomical needs is far better than the 'right' boot that does not.  

Ideally, something snowboardy will turn up in your size before things get desperate. If not, go to your local used sporting goods store and get busy in the boot section.

Avoid anything Tecnica, unless you need another flower pot or need to fill a woodchuck hole out in the garden.

Prior to their exit from the alpine market, Burton produced several lines of useful boards.  The Factory Primes were available in a number of different lengths and widths, and while they are considered outdated by the cognoscenti, they are very durable and ride well in most conditions. 100usd, new in plastic sleeve.

The Alp line also worked well, and came in smaller sizes.  

Burton product has generally been cheap and plentiful, which explains the prevalence in my lend/lease library. 

if you can find one in the right flex and width, the Donek FC series has always been user friendly.

One of those in good shape 150usd

Best bang for the binding buck is the CATEK WC.  Nobody wants them because there is no manufacturer support, and if you lose parts, replacement bits can be hard to find.  At your stated weight, however, you will never break them, and can sell them off for what you paid. They have a universal 3D/4X4 base plate, so you can use them on any board with 'modern' inserts. They are, however, reputed to be 'too stiff', but thats more reflective of a philosophical position than it is of reality.

75-100usd.

Riding alpine on a budget is no big thing, provided you already have lift access and can resist the 'latest and greatest' tractor beam.

As Beckmann already pointed out, boarding in ski boots in and of itself is no big deal. Back when, this was the budget option for many budding snowboarders: Go alpine instead of soft, because you just needed the board and bindings, using your ski boots for another season or two. That said, many find snowboard-specific boots more user-friendly. But there is no reason not to give ski boots a spin, especially if you are not afraid to suffer a bit: Reaction to your input will probably be decidedly faster and more intense than what you are used to.