Note to New Members ×

Question about Catek spacers or alternatives

edecker

New to the hard booting arena. I just picked up an older Kessler metal top and know enough that I should be using something like the Catek binding spacers under my bindings. Problem is those are a rare commodity and as far as I can tell is that a vist plate would be an expensive alternative. I am not racing, just out having fun. Are there any alternatives to either of those choices?

Older metal top Kessler would be great with TD3. I noticed you are on the east coast so you probably ride a fair amount of heavily groomed slopes. If you are the type of rider who goes out in any and all conditions a Boiler plate would be an excellent addition to a metal top Kessler with the added bonus of being able to carve on ice when everyone else gives up.

I did email Bomber and they thought it would be a good idea to use a spacer. That said I looked at the TD3 with a cant disk and the footprint is fairly wide so maybe it would be OK without. Is there anyone else that does this?

Yes, east coast, Okemo VT in particular so groomed trails. I would love to get a Boiler plate and may later but for now I will work on getting technique down and save a few bucks until I really get into it.

Thanks for the info!

I would be leery sending Catek money, not sure if they are still in business... If you want their plates, call and make sure you talk to someone first. They are a super clean, simple, relatively inexpensive product if you can get them.

F2 makes the S Flex plate. I really like them but they are spendy. Kessler makes the "Speed" plates which I do believe are on sale at Apex Sports out of Canada. Again, they are pretty spendy compared the Catek spacers.

My $0.02

K

I am not sure if it is round or hammerhead I looked around for the differences but didn't find any references. I am attaching a photo.

As I slowly get drawn into a larger purchase... would a Bomber plate spread out any pressure points like a spacer? In looking at the plate it seems it actually has a small board footprint. Or am I missing something, I know a vist plate has a large surface contact area is the Bomber the same?

I actually looked at the Kessler plates which is about half the cost of a new Bomber plate. But about the same as a used vist if I can find one.post-13273-141842417424_thumb.jpg

After reading more threads about the subject I think I am going to go with a Bomber plate. I can use it on another board if I get one and with all the comments about the conditions out here I may as well take the $ hit now and and enjoy myself.

Thanks for all the insight and information!

Have you ever ridden hard boots before? A kessler with a plate is not what I would call a beginner's setup.

Neil raises a very good point. Keep doing your research, allot of very good soft boot riders have had their ass handed to them on their first go at Alpine.

For the "New to Alpine" , I would use a softer flexing binding set up. IE the TD3 SW or even softer . You are certainly starting at the top of the heap.

Frankly the Kessler will likely be fine, I find them very well behaved and easy to ride. Keep in mind I am heavy and most boards are soft to me. Bryan

I sent you a PM , but the website email system has NOT been working well for a while now.

Agreed on the caution for the plate. Alpine is tough enough to learn, adding another variable (plate) will complicate things a bit.

That said, if you're a tech geek (I'm guilty!), they are darn cool. I don't like how the board sideslips with any plate, but the softer you go the easier that gets. Bomber is the hottest place on the net for North American folks to chat about alpine riding, and they make kick-azz equipment too.

Keep researching but don't be afraid to experiment yourself. My rule of thumb is, if conditions are good ride without the plate when conditions deteriorate ride with a plate. Ice conditions "plate". Want to keep from getting fatigued "plate". If your under 200 lbs. look for a more flexable plate if you are over 200 lbs. earlier stiffer plates my be satisfactory. Most important to early ride-ability before you have mastered it is the height of the plate off the board (stack height) the lower the better. Not exactly sure of the year of your Kessler but if it predates any plate your looking at and your weight is over 200 lbs. you might consider a plate with a duckbill to prevent the nose of your board from folding should you happen to load the nose of the board in soft snow. Not so much an issue with newer built boards. Good luck !

Edited by lowrider

As it is, I am still not a fan of plates for the riding I like to do.

Jim I love this statement ! You Colorado guys break me up. Riders on the ice coast ride what we've got which in most cases starts out each day as corrugated ice. And slowly breaks down to loose corn. Powder days can usually be counted on one hand, sometimes one finger. The riding we " like to do " usually doesn't happen so we ride anything we have all day long .Once one learns the fundamentals a plate can really assist in building confidence in riding poor conditions as it provides greater traction on ice as well as the ability to absorb bumps on very crowded slopes. Conditions i'm sure most people from your area would completely avoid. Would love to have the slopes and conditions you like to ride but for now we get all the ice we can eat and plates help us do that.:)

Never ridden one but from talking to a few people seems like they are a bit of a handful at low speed. If as a typical soft-boot transition guy you end up trying to kick the tail around to save your butt it could be problematic.

If you buy one, I recommend just leaving it off the board to start with.

Once one learns the fundamentals a plate can really assist in building confidence in riding poor conditions as it provides greater traction on ice as well as the ability to absorb bumps on very crowded slopes. Conditions i'm sure most people from your area would completely avoid. Would love to have the slopes and conditions you like to ride but for now we get all the ice we can eat and plates help us do that.:)

I agree that a plate helps back east, no doubt. If I still lived back east, I'm sure I would rock a plate all day long. My main point was about learning sans plate, as it tends to isolate the rider quite a bit, and when making the transition from soft boots to hard, the stiffness of the boots alone is enough to contend with, let alone the lack of sensation a plate provides.

So much to think about! My usual style of softbooting is stiff Custom X's and I always tried to get nice smooth turns in with little skidding, fail. I saw a guy carving on a Coiler at Okemo and talked to him, he lent me a board for the season and while I was still crashing I was getting the hang of it. Until I get better acclimated on a carving board I will tread lightly on sheet ice (where the board shines) and keep to groomed ice which is 90% of riding for us.

Some excellent comments here and I think I may opt for the spacers until I get some experience under my belt. Oldsnowboards, sent you a PM but if you don't get it let me know if you still have those. eddeck atgeemail

Thanks!