Note to New Members ×

kevlar snowboard gloves for ec & carving....

excarving

• 2 weeks later...

What about a mitten??? Or a mitten with a huge gauntlet and a draw string??? Why are people so sold on gloves? They are never as warm and are a pain to put on compared to a mitten. Wouldn't it be much easier and cheaper to manufacture a mitten too.... pleeeeease! :biggthump

What about a mitten??? Or a mitten with a huge gauntlet and a draw string??? Why are people so sold on gloves? They are never as warm and are a pain to put on compared to a mitten. Wouldn't it be much easier and cheaper to manufacture a mitten too.... pleeeeease! :biggthump

+1

Too damn cold much of the time for gloves where I ride.

With today's exchange rate they're $147 USD, not including shipping that's using the crossed out price of 150,000 Won.

uh..... The mitten is priced at 65,000 won (KRW), which is $63.86, using current exchange rate (1,018 Korean Won = $1 USD). It's quiet cheap for gloves/mitten that has Thinsulate, Waterproof, and Kevlar.

uh..... The mitten is priced at 65,000 won (KRW), which is $63.86, using current exchange rate (1,018 Korean Won = $1 USD). It's quiet cheap for gloves/mitten that has Thinsulate, Waterproof, and Kevlar.

My phone wasn't showing the real price that's why I used the only one available.

Kevlar was once,

we are talking now from ceramic coating.

I'm on some custom made gloves using schoeller® keprotec® (up to 5 different schoeller® knits plus GORE-TEX® too on glove) since near to a decade now.

Make sure to get the orginal schoeller® keprotec®. There are countless cheap copies of that knits on the world, even that signature-labels beside the mittens. Like we saw on AX gloves-picture written as "Keprotect" (pictures was changed now to mitts) it's even hard not only to weave it right, but to write label right too.

I mean 65k won, thats realy cheap comparing to the basic material You have to pay for. Otherwise I have to ask if these are prototypes of gloves and mitts. Can we see how they looks after 10 days of carving hard? How fast that pads will peel of and when the seams are getting open?

You may think I just write odd things.

But I don't ride easy slopes protected by red fences left and right.

Maybe slopes can be much longer and way more difficult for to carve hard - and one feet behind your trench - there is just nirvana.

image.php?id=F441_539AA619&jpg

Edited by snowmatic

I agree with snowmatic, the problem is beeing sure the keprotec is genuine and not simple yellow nylon knit in black corduroy..

I think the Thor glove which is here for a longer time is a better base for a great carving glove, it has a huge gauntlet that is great, but lacks proofness and has basically a too cheap inside..I've been in touch many times with the Thor glove guy, and tried to give help improving his glove with the EC feedback ( since EC eats gloves quick)...but got no success ( no changes)..

glovesjacques.jpg

Jacques Rilliet gloves ( in 2002): Ptex palms for better EC

glovenils.jpg

My gloves in 2002: using PVC floor on fingers with hot glue and duct tape I'd change every 2 days

Raider_gloves_feedback.jpg

My 2010 suggestion to improve Thor Raider gloves..for now they are still the strongest i've ever used, but they have flaws and could be greatly improve!

Nils

Darn, why do the Axer gloves have such a short gauntlet???

Thor gloves are great but they get wet WAY too quickly even after numerous attempts at waterproofing. If used without liners they are very cold, you can feel the wind blow through them, and the sizing isn't 100%. Nonetheless, they survived two seasons of 40 days each until they finally started to tear.

If the Thor gloves had gore-tex and a better liner, a much stronger reinforced area where the palm meets the wrist (something like integrated ptex), and if that strap didnt wrap around so the end finishes on the bottom of the glove (gets hit with snow and ice and slowly starts to fall apart) Id be as happy as pie. And pay good money for something like that.

Yes, keprotec® should be genuine, even if coated with a black kind of polyurethane rubber, like outside of the AX gloves seems to be. Cheaper made outside will not resist for long, if grinding on snow surface.

survived two seasons of 40 days each

Thats 80 days, right?

There is a rule since decades: sporting goods for skiing / snowboarding are worn out in general after one full season, compared to / or 100 days of use. If any things can be used for longer, it's well.

And there are other significant weak points on Thor gloves and AX gloves! Thats why I never ever would recommend them. They don't have dampening and they don't have any protection.

On the peak of snowboarding time we had a daily quote of about 14'000 hand injuries worldwide (*). You know, issues like them on wrist, fingers and so on. 20% of all injuries are reported to not reach anymore fully satisfaction to movements and functionality of hands/fingers later. Maybe there are some users here on forum they had had some injuries on hands, maybe not, I don't know. Myself, dampenings and protections on gloves helped me many time to be kept on unlimited fun for all seasons.

(* Source: universimed.com / They are involved to developments of some well known gloves brands. Hands on snow during carvings has been discused too, they published specific recommendations for improvements on gloves to that.)

Well, it's interessting keeping eyes to products, things and scene, which are comming out now from up-comming countrys (eastern Europe/middle-east/far-east) of snowboarding and alpine snowboard carving. Even if they are decades behind the evolution we went through once here on the Alps.

• 10 months later...

Funcarve, I appreciate the fact that you had a bad experience with Thor, but you joined this forum yesterday and all you have done is post negative comments on Thor. Several of us have used their gloves and had positive experiences. I don't think it's right for you to be throwing around derogatory comments like "scammer" when you have not been a part of this community and the people from Thor are not here to defend themselves. Post up some proof of scamming or pipe down.

Edited by tex1230

Yeah, it's so logic :))

Several of members are using this gloves because they paid and got them.

I paid for 12 pairs, but got 5 only.. And 7 my friends still waiting for their stuff. You wanna proof of this deal? Money transfer? I got everything of that, instead high quality gloves :((

Thanks a lot for posting these pictures.

Funcarve: Be careful with them..

Be carefull everytime if a company is very new on market and if you can't buy the gloves in your local store! Even if on cheap price, it doesn't mean it would be a usuable quality!

Thor gloves (Goostech Co.,Ltd ? foundet November 2010 ?) isn't as experienced like true and only snowsports glove makers like Level, Reusch, Ziener and so on.

What works maybe great on dry powder of Colorado, can fail on wet conditions (sliping in with wet hands) and icy slopes on others ski-resorts of the world. US companys usualy doesn't take care to the demands of other countrys/market. They are strongly focused to the demands of own country.

What works maybe great on dry powder of Colorado, can fail on wet conditions (sliping in with wet hands) and icy slopes on others ski-resorts of the world. US companys usualy doesn't take care to the demands of other countrys/market. They are strongly focused to the demands of own country.

The USA is a big country and has a lot of snow conditions. The west coast has very wet snow, the east can be very icy. I know this even though I am not American. Perhaps you should do some research.

Thanks for clearing this.

Neil Gendzwill: Perhaps you should do some research.

I recommend it's better if Thor gloves do some resarch and not me!

Neil Gendzwill: west coast has very wet snow

The whole World of wintersports knows it since Vancouver Olympics. West coast must have sometime days of very liquid snowfall during February.

I like to carve very wet snow like this:

Wet_snow.JPG

Neil Gendzwill: the east can be very icy.

Very icy ? Carving surfaces like ice, where a carver is able to cut all of the crones, but nothing else deeper of a fresh slope is nice:

Carving_Ice.JPG

No-no, that's realy too grippy. Very icy seems to be this:

Carving_icy_crones.JPG

if you can cut only a small part on top of the crones it's icy enough. Great hard surface, istn't it. Every time you carve down that, its like you do it on a pristine slope! Maybe I should add, only excellent and well performing boards let you carve deep and clean half cyrcle turns on such icy slopes. Ice gripp of board does matter.

Back to the gloves:

Myself I did my research. Please scroll back to both previous posts of me on thread. I only can grin about problems carvers are discussing. I wear custom made gloves, based on an anatomical perfect snowboarding glove design, but Alpine snowboarding specific made.

I like to carve and have fun all the day like I show on "tracks" thread of softbootsailer. Thinking day by day and run by run about seams of gloves would come apart, would confine my stoke. Even if grind them on lay-downs mile by mile over such icy slopes.