Note to New Members ×

Whitefish Videos

johnasmo

Great filming and editing @johnasmo!  

The new twist to this filming was John and I figuring out how to get camera and riding set up to do the leader cam footage (camera looking uphill off of back of leaders helmet). This was some challenging riding for me and John.  For John, keeping his head looking down the fall line and me trying to stack turns to stay in the field of view, like riding gates only being able to see one gate ahead.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah I t’s been a Coiler option for a while. And other manufacturers switched to .4mm after running out of the thinner stuff years ago (something tells me that Donek might have even used t4 from the beginning, which I think caused some hiccups at the time if I remember correctly?).

As I understand, the change messes with the build process and board characteristics. It’s not like Bruce has employees to help him work out and record all those changes across every board type/size and build a new database — his entire build process is more manual by design. So every first-run .4mm board will take a bit more time, and also means more prototypes & materials investment that is a straight money loss without a future sales plan to recoup.

That’s an interesting spot for someone who’s already been muttering about retirement for a couple years! Selfishly, I hope he takes it on as a new challenge. 😀

He sourced some more T3 from someone's stock, so now I think he has more T3 on hand than T4.  Nevertheless, this prototype is helping sort out how to compensate the layups for the T4 future.  This one uses about 30 percent less carbon and glass by weight and a slightly less stiff core to start, but comes within a point of stiffness on the Bruce scale of its T3 counterpart.

The ride is awesome.  It's a little smoother carving through push piles, but there's a little more feedback carving over groomed-in bumps dips and irregularities that are frozen in place.  I think its from the torsional stiffness of the T4 making for a slightly stiffer front suspension.  Remains unflappable though and edge hold is fantastic.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2023 at 8:12 PM, Ladia said:

I would not be able to ride in that light at all.

Flat and low light riding is really challenging.  Having at least one visual reference, faith and a relaxed lower body sure helps. 

I got to go riding with my childhood best friend a couple weeks ago. He has been skiing since we were kids and has been progressively going blind his whole life.  He is 99% blind now. We used headsets to steer him down Turner. He is a real inspiration.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

9 hours ago, dredman said:

It only reached 14 on top and never got above freezing at the base.  Some of the best chalky carving snow I have ridden all year.  Super hero snow.  

Same over here at Great Divide today.  GD is small compared to Whitefish, so not as heroic.

I've got 3 free days at Whitefish I need to use...

• Like 1