Note to New Members ×

Whitefish Videos

johnasmo

It seems a shame to let these languish buried on the Montana Ride board, so I'm starting a video thread for carving videos shot at Whitefish Mountain Resort.

First is some footage from the 2013 Whitefish Trench Festival (WTF). I didn't shoot much video, but we got a great set of action shots from the on-hill photographers, so the second half is a slide show culled from all the photos. Enjoy.

Next is some video from a day when the grooming crew did some of my favorite steep runs that are only occasionally groomed. The chair 5 chute, heep steep, powder trap... Normally ungroomed runs that only occassionally get smoothed out. I was riding with a buddy that was kind enough to shoot some video, but had a little trouble keeping me in frame when the going got steep -- he had to concentrate on his own riding then. The runs look steeper in person...

Edited by johnasmo

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of post-season skinning videos. Not hardboot carving. Softboot carving? Well, no, not even that. But they are shot at Whitefish Mountain Resort, so not totally off topic.

The first one is from two weeks ago, when the frozen end-of-season crud finally softened up. The second is from yesterday, when we finally had a warm, sunny, spring day of fun corn snow. Day 140 of the johnasmo '12/'13 snow season. The song on the second one was recorded by a pre-teen guitar phenom from Colorado that just toured through town, Jaden Carlson.

Edited by johnasmo

• 2 weeks later...

One more, just because I bumped into some subjects to video. A week of warm, sunny weather decimated that lower mountain snow coverage. The end of the video shows how you can still have fun connecting the dots. Still managed 1900 vertical feet out of 2000. An advantage of resort snow in the spring is that you know it was packed and frozen all winter so you can ride it down to miniscule depths -- two inches of corn? No problem...

Edited by johnasmo

• 1 year later...

Wow, is that really all the carving video I have from Big Mountain for 2014? Guess I spent my time riding instead of filming.

As an excuse, I did shoot a lot at the SES in Colorado, which can be seen on this

Oh well, on to the obligatory post-season skinning videos. Starting with a barbecue day at the summit.

Edited by johnasmo

We get some funky, fickle weather days in mid May. I feel for the guys that hike up in shorts only to find mid-winter conditions at the summit. This day was a roller-coaster of weather.

Edited by johnasmo

Eric the SkwalGuy bootpacks for some spring turns. I shot one of these 3 years ago (

), but my cameras keep getting better so I keep reliving the past. Hey, it's hardbooting, so at least this video belongs here.

Edited by johnasmo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Final week of the 2014/2015 season at the Big.  Shot this yesterday.  My new 2016 Coiler Skinny arrived just in time to tear up the closing week slush (mid 40's F by end of day).   It's a 174 sized to fit TD3 BP lowers.  Wide enough to run lower stance angles than a typical skwal, so I'll stick to calling it a Skinny.  Super fun and comfortable to ride; blows through the spring crud just fine.

• Like 1

Still milking the hill for every last foot of vertical, but low snow conditions this year are cutting at least 3 weeks off the skinning season at the resort.  This is what it looks like to ride well past the prudent stop date.  Yet this was only two weeks after closing.

It seems a shame to let these languish buried on the Montana Ride board, so I'm starting a video thread for carving videos shot at Whitefish Mountain Resort.

First is some footage from the 2013 Whitefish Trench Festival (WTF). I didn't shoot much video, but we got a great set of action shots from the on-hill photographers, so the second half is a slide show culled from all the photos. Enjoy.

Next is some video from a day when the grooming crew did some of my favorite steep runs that are only occasionally groomed. The chair 5 chute, heep steep, powder trap... Normally ungroomed runs that only occassionally get smoothed out. I was riding with a buddy that was kind enough to shoot some video, but had a little trouble keeping me in frame when the going got steep -- he had to concentrate on his own riding then. The runs look steeper in person...

I think that is steve on the orange jacket.?

• 4 months later...