Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2012/2013

bobble

Morning

cold temps, light dusting snow, sunny... perfect day.

Ruminations of Metal Versus Glass

rode on erik's coiler:

* transitions were more lively.

* board is very extremely manuverable. felt very turny.

* the ride was very smooth.

(took a warmup break. i was having some minor knee pain with my rear leg.)

rode my donek afterwards. i rode mostly upright until 12pm. just leaned into the turns.

* the donek felt stiffer than the coiler.

* it felt rough -- felt more vibrations though my feet.

FWIW GoPro Video

video of erik carving while i follow with a GoPro. yeah, i'm not going to win any awards with this video. everything looks so much smaller in the video with a GoPro! its was really tough to follow him because it looked to me that i was going to get in his path during the transitions. i don't think i could get any closer and yet in the video he's miles away.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o7M9Ac66Vng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wish we had more time to take a few more videos. ski jammers showed up and we needed to get in as many runs possible. i should've taken video from skiers left and right. just follow down the hill at the same down hill rate. its impossible to follow someone carving without getting too close. oh well... next time.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you make some locals mad Bobble?

no, i didn't see the edge of the trail and went over. flat light. :angryfire

i hit my face. trauma to my left eye. split my lip. chest is sore on the right side. when i got up my vision was crossed ... i was seeing double.

details later.

i went riding today at aspen highlands. physically i'm okay. today i was riding extremely cautiously. super paranoid. did a clinic on steeps and rode demo boards.

re: my black eye. there's not alot that can be seen in the video due to the flat light and the way the camera was angled. from the time i stand up to where i go off trail is 3 seconds. it suprised me how quick it happened.

there was a roll or lip just down hill from my position that you can't see in the video. i was going to approach it from skiers right. well, i effed up. i didn't see the trail edge. trent saw it happen. he thought i had hit something in the trail and that when i was going over the edge i tried to bale and landed on my chest (or something like that). i'm not sure what happened.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zPiusWm1RMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

when i watch the video, the sound of the impact gets to me. i hit the left side of my helmet and goggles on the snow and then slid down. my left eye socket hurt. left cheek had a small cut right where the goggles fit. i had split my lip. i sat there for a minute waiting for other pain signals. when i got back onto the trail my vision was double. my left eye was not tracking. i thought i had a concussion. the ski patrol took me to up the mountain to their office. an EMT looked me over. he didn't think i had a concussion. by that time my left eye was tracking but had started to swell up. i was released and called moira to come get me.

sucks to be me. :(

Went to snowmass. Demo day. Trent asked Bruce to pick out a board that would stop me from riding like a pussy. I am having mental issues going down steeps. Don't want to fall down. i have pain in my right side near the chest and arm pit when i get up from sitting down on snow.

Demo'd a coiler nirvana. It looks similar to Erik's board. It's 174 length with 12/14 vsr. I liked it a lot. Also rode this 170-ish coiler with 11sidecut. I could not carve it to save my life. Not sure why.

It was snowing early morning then it got sunny.

To my LinkedIn contacts... Endorse me for snowboarding or alpine snowboarding if comfortable and if possible. That endorsement thing is a joke. Got a few endorsements from contacts that i barely know. Am I suppose to reciprocate?

Went to snowmass. Demo day. Trent asked Bruce to pick out a board that would stop me from riding like a pussy. I am having mental issues going down steeps. Don't want to fall down. i have pain in my right side near the chest and arm pit when i get up from sitting down on snow.

Demo'd a coiler nirvana. It looks similar to Erik's board. It's 174 length with 12/14 vsr. I liked it a lot. Also rode this 170-ish coiler with 11sidecut. I could not carve it to save my life. Not sure why.

It was snowing early morning then it got sunny.

To my LinkedIn contacts... Endorse me for snowboarding or alpine snowboarding if comfortable and if possible. That endorsement thing is a joke. Got a few endorsements from contacts that i barely know. Am I suppose to reciprocate?

You try out some other cant disks/binding setups? You still want to go flat with the rear foot?

You try out some other cant disks/binding setups? You still want to go flat with the rear foot?

I just demo'd a few boards with existing setup. A lot of riders were on 6 degree disks and were laying out turns. The guy who held clinics rode with 6 degree in front and back.

I listened to Bruce from Coiler give binding advice to a rider. The rider had both disks rotated with maximum canting. Bruce fixed the guys setup so that it only had toe and heel lift. He told the guy to try a 6 degree disk in order to improve heel-side turning. I might go back to 6 degree.

Nirvana! Moira approved!

I think a 6 degree in the back is the way to go with TD3s, I have my back cant rotated 15 degrees from the 'standard' setup to give more cant and less lift but my rear binding it rotated to 60 degrees. My front is set to give all toe lift and at 70 degrees. I really felt canting the front foot made my heal edge carve less stable. Between the heal lift in my boot and toe lift in the front binding, I think overall I end up with a slight lift in the heal which I guess is not the 'right way' But I think I kind of ride my snowboard like I ride my dirt bike, which is all about getting weight on your front tire to turn.

I'm planning to out at Buck bright and early tomorrow.

four hard booters out at buck. me, randy, jen and nathan (?). snow conditions were great! firm and grippy!

place was crowded for a sunday morning. buck hill pro tip... if there's a line outside the ticket office, go to the ski school desk and get your ticket there.

nastar course was set up on milkrun. it was crowded with racers but after an hour or so they left. air bag was set up but not many takers. at least the music was decent.

randy and i swapped boards for two runs. turned out our boots are same size. i rode his burton. he has higher angles, a narrower stance, and with rear inward canting. i had a hard time adjusting to the canting -- i felt pidgeon toed. randy was able to carve on my donek with no problem.

handed out a bomber card to a skier that seemed interested in carving. another skier asked if we were on monoboards. the lifty was fist bumping us.

rode almost all the runs except the rail yard. milkrun, crossroads, and olympic were great. rode the magic carpet too. almost fell backwards while getting on the thing.

stayed till about 12:30pm then left.

Sunday morning was perfect, everyone who slept in missed out! The wind started picking up in the evening, and came in gusts.

I measured my Factory Prime and the bindings are 19" apart. A Donek Rev or Coiler NSR sound pretty tempting right now... I really don't know what I would want for a length... 175, 178... 180?