Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2012/2013

bobble

Evening

snow was great!

there are moguls on skiers left of the lift tower.

alex and i were there. only a handful of others were there.

weather for tomorrow looks more of the same. i plan on being out thursday night about 5:15 pm.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evening

conditions were still great for riding. didn't see you erik but maybe you were out earlier?

i was in the middle of laying out a toe-side when i saw this shadow appear in front of me. i stopped... i thought i was going to get hit. i looked uphill and it was a skier that was way up at the top of the hill. his shadow stretched down the run.

it was a little more crowded. the ski teams were trying to carve on crossroads. they were going across the run instead of down it.

the one thing that sucked is that my heel kept getting iced up. almost couldn't get into my binding. i should carry an ice scraper.

50/50 chance i'll be out tonight. either at buck or at rascals in apple valley. love the juicy lucy bar-baskets.

Evening

went out again. snow was definitely softer. temp was above freezing when i got there. its still holding up.

more comments about my board from bystanders, "cool board" or "how much are those boards?"

brought a screw driver to pick the ice off my heel. the slush refreezes on the heel for some reason.

Anyone going out tomorrow to Buck in the morning? I think I'm going, but it might be a ski day.

Your heel gets full of ice Bobble? What does your toe block look like? That's the one that usually gives me trouble because your heel doesn't contact the block with step ins. I use a precisely calibrated kick with my toe to brake the ice loose, works very well, it's like splitting firewood with a hatchet.

Anyone going out tomorrow to Buck in the morning? I think I'm going, but it might be a ski day.

Your heel gets full of ice Bobble? What does your toe block look like? That's the one that usually gives me trouble because your heel doesn't contact the block with step ins. I use a precisely calibrated kick with my toe to brake the ice loose, works very well, it's like splitting firewood with a hatchet.

sunday i'm heading to afton. they have a deal if you bring four items for the food shelf its $8. i was out there today. it was pretty decent in the morning but started getting crowded around 11 am. i have no tolerance for lift lines.

re: ice buildup... there's alot of slush and ice in the lift line. for some reason it just adheres to my heel. i also get ice on my toe-block too. the ice forms over the screw holes and interferes with the fit. i have to break up that ice buildup too.

I will be at Buck in the morning. I went out this morning for about a hour and a half. Not sure what this weather is going to do tonight.

Morning

warm temp. no groom. started to rain a little. tried my coiler. conditions were uncarveable. snow was snow cone but hardened pile from yesterday. bouncing everywhere. i was nervous getting back down the hill.

changed to skis. not much better. took one run and left.

if there was grooming i might be tempted to go again.

if not, see everyone next year.

It was too warm overnight to groom, last night was the first night they HAVEN'T groomed so far. Depending on what Saturday's weather brings, things should look good for Monday morning. We're closed Sunday, but the forecast for Sunday night is about 20 degrees, and just around freezing for Monday, so everything will get groomed Sunday night.

It was too warm overnight to groom, last night was the first night they HAVEN'T groomed so far. Depending on what Saturday's weather brings, things should look good for Monday morning. We're closed Sunday, but the forecast for Sunday night is about 20 degrees, and just around freezing for Monday, so everything will get groomed Sunday night.

thanks gerg. i actually went back out. saw the sun. it just felt wrong to be inside on a beautiful day. had to do something.

snow was slushy. only place where i saw brown snow was at the bottom in front of the main office. rode skis for an hour. it was alright.

tried snowboarding. it was okay but the ice underneath was rough. did a couple extreme toe-sides. got soaked.

lots of rentals.

helmet-tip to Big Wave Dave for inspiring me to do something else with GoPro...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o0u8G6pC3So" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

disappointed that the pictures appeared in fish-eye. the other strange thing is either youtube sped up the video or my pc can't play mp4 fast enough.

went in the afternoon when it was sunny and warm.

when i got to the top of the chair the lifty gave me encouraging words, "good luck man, i wouldn't want to be riding that".

the top was just gloppy. if my boot sank any deeper i'd have wet feet. on the run, the snow was rougher then yesterday. i was riding high -- the board was bouncing. hard to hold any edge.

the runs are starting to turn color. the bottom hasn't turned into a lake yet. there's a small pond in front of the rental office that kids were skimming.

switched to skis. skiing was okay. stayed on skis for close to an hour.

as of today, 52 lift tickets at buck.

Sounds like the season will be over by the time I get back this week, bummer. Thanks for a good season for the few times I rode with you guys.

On a side note, I think I remember talking with someone on the lift this season or last who was/is involved in skydiving. I'm looking to take the AFF class April sometime, so if you're on here send me a PM...I'm looking for advice on local drop zones/general advice.

Matt