Note to New Members ×

Step in problem - Idiot manouveur

scrutton

Had this happen to me first thing trying to get into my bindings on Saturday morning. It was cold, I was sleepy, and I was having issues with ice under the boot.

post-7931-141842363255_thumb.jpg

I then had to push the board along using this foot until I could find somewhere I could get inside and take the boot off. Luckily I picked the ski-locker room, which by some miracle had a door that led to the ski-rental office. There, a kind employee was able to lever the boot out of the binding using a screwdriver.

Yeah the ski-area employee who was watching me having problems getting in, kept bugging me to scrape the ice off of them, just after I'd permanently stuck myself in them. He wasn't helping at all :-).

John E, I think given a similar amount of force I employed, I could probably get the Bomber receivers to do this also. Hopefully I'll never find out.

Those aren't standard heel pieces are they?

That is correct, these are heel receiver's that I sourced from DiveBomber.

I also found them displayed at this website.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/intec-heel-kit-catek-burton-alpine-133689605

Not sure who makes them, but they work really well and are steel so won't wear out.

Once I got inside a building, I took the boot off. The ski-shop was uber-busy, so easier to carry the board/boot that way than push it around on the floor.

It was almost comical trying to open the door, and push the board into the small locker room with it still attached to my foot.

The scenarios of how to remove it were running through my mind. If a lever operation hadn't worked, I was prepared to take it home, and use a cutting wheel on one of the legs of the receivers. I'd have had to rent a soft-boot setup for the weekend I guess.

Don't try to dislodge ice by kicking the heel receiver. Get one of the square DaKine stomp pads with the big conical spikes and methodically grind (press and pivot) your heel on it. Easier on everything.

Don't try to dislodge ice by kicking the heel receiver. Get one of the square DaKine stomp pads with the big conical spikes and methodically grind (press and pivot) your heel on it. Easier on everything.

Thanks OhD. Really good advice. I did have one on this board, and figured out this step by the end of the day. I placed an order for a bunch of these and am putting them on all boards.

REI has the stomp pad in question if anyone else is looking...

http://www.rei.com/product/717389/dakine-spike-stomp-pad

If you buy 7, you get free shipping ;-)

Thanks for the tip Mike. Bought another dozen!!!

Side note: Not sure if they are building them differently these days or the Fintec is harder on them but I have shaved the nubs right off some. I don't remember that being an issue in the past?

Sure hate paying the state 8.7% to ship them too me, but driving to downtown Portland to get them would cost about the same. Thanks again, hope they have enough to fill my order.

Side note: Not sure if they are building them differently these days or the Fintec is harder on them but I have shaved the nubs right off some. I don't remember that being an issue in the past?

Might be the Fintec. Neither Bonnie and I have had issues with out softies our our standard Deeluxe (non-step-in) heels. My 8 are in transit now:biggthump

Might be the Fintec. Neither Bonnie and I have had issues with out softies our our standard Deeluxe (non-step-in) heels. My 8 are in transit now:biggthump

Yes. The softer (still not very soft) plastic of the Intec Step-n VS the BOL Fintec pads is the difference. That insert on the Fintec is SHARP and is much like a bastard file being drug across it.

I was wondering the same. I need to go back and looks at some of the old ones I have to see if they are solid.

Couple years back it appeared that DaKine was going to drop the "Spike" model stomp pad. I was in the process of making a similar stomp pad with the help of my composite expert. Fortunately they did continue production, did BOL members have an effect?? We sure bought a ton of them. I know that I personally have purchased five or six dozen of them.