Note to New Members ×

All Boards Sports?

So...does anyone else have any experience with this store? Visiting my cousin in Boulder and I dropped by....I was treated so rudely that I had to leave. Incredibly awkward and just plain weird. Not sure if there is a story about this place but I sadly won't be spending any money there :(

I hesitate to go into details in case this was just a bad day or something, but if others have the same experiences, then maybe we could share.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum (maybe OT?)...feel free to move it or tell me to repost

bola deserves the benefit of any doubt at all. he has only ever tried to help me, irrespective of the amount of $ involved, or total lack thereof (more often the latter in my case). i'm always on the side of stating whatever one wants to, however, with consideration to the fact that he is clearly a benefit to anyone that has anything to do with alpine snowboarding, perhaps a less public airing?

Bola is GOOD people. A little cynical at times but very knowlegeable and fully supports this sport. I don't know what the issue was but you're missing out...

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

Agree, give it another go if you have time. It would be worth your while.

Bola is no longer a member of BOL - he was permanently banned last winter in the flap over General Lee. I just searched and his profile seems to be gone, as well as all of his posts - all that can be found of those are the ones people quoted. Seems like he is very nice to some, and to others... not so much. He has posted things on this board that would make me think twice about walking into his store, though he was polite enough to me the one time I spoke with him on the phone.

Anyway, you won't be PMing him through this forum. Sorry you had a bad experience - whatever the reason, it just sucks.

Kind of surprising, sorry to hear that. I haven't been by there in a few years but when I started out they spent about 2 hours with me on picking out a hardboot. Bola and 2 other employees were there and they were super helpful and helped me get everything sorted out. When Bola has been out for the LCS and SES he has always been great to talk to get his advice on stuff.

I would definitely let Bola know what went down.

I may be a bit biased, but he has not hesitated to provided boots, bindings, boards, sponsership and time for our carve sessions since our very first one, asking nothing in return. He is a stand up guy, he has put a lot into this sport. I would strongly suggest giving him a call with your concerns.

mario

ps, have you ever had a bad day?

just sayin

wow, ok. Thank you guys for the replies. I honestly don't know who I dealt with, but I guess I can give the store another shot. From what I saw it was like a small heaven in there.....I guess maybe the person I dealt with was having a bad day or something. Next time I'm in Boulder I will be there for the snow ('m planning a trip for dec/jan). I will stop by and hopefully be permitted to look around this time :\

Thanks again, guys !

tvracebola.jpg

Just to clear the air, Bola would be the gentleman pictured on the right, I am in the middle, and TVR on the left.( Abasin <3 ) He is an older guy with some grey hair.

Absolutely the BEST guy to deal with. He has a wealth of knowledge and reps for the top brands in the industry. Not only that, he has it all in stock, ready for you to drool over. I have always had the best times dealing with him.

No doubt, he is good people.

Maybe you should try calling up the shop and talking with him?

Been a few years since I've lived there, but my recollection is that Boulder is a sea of transient, stuck-up, brats. Really hard for a business owner to find good help there, and when you do, they usually don't stick around for long.

Sounds like you had a classic Boulder customer service experience.:barf:

wow, ok. Thank you guys for the replies. I honestly don't know who I dealt with, but I guess I can give the store another shot. From what I saw it was like a small heaven in there.....I guess maybe the person I dealt with was having a bad day or something. Next time I'm in Boulder I will be there for the snow ('m planning a trip for dec/jan). I will stop by and hopefully be permitted to look around this time :\

Thanks again, guys !

Maybe they'll actually let you try on some boots this time too! ;) (Almost sounds like the store was about to close and they didn't know if you were serious or just wandered in off the street to browse.) Either way, good for you to give it another try. I've avoided certain businesses after similar treatment. But by most accounts, this one is worth it.

Thanks again, guys !

You were dealing with Bola, (the owner). He is totally behind the Alpine thing. BUT he is also in the business to sell product. He knows his products well and will spend all the time in the world educating someone towards an informed decision/purchase. Unfortunately some people find something used or on closeout somewhere else and use his time/store/products to make a decision, all the time knowing they have no intention to buy anything from him. For example: People come in expecting him to loan/rent a $2K+ Kessler or Virus. They have no intention of buying, they just want to see what it's like. Once a board is ridden it isn't worth near as much, and the damage risk factor is big. If someone is serious, and is going to buy a board/boots/gear, that's different, and he will work with you long and hard to get you set up proper, and stand behind the sale/product 100%.

I'm a freak among freaks and Bola has spent many hours on my stupid questions, and strange ideas. In return, I have bought boards, bindings,misc stuff, and I also make it a point to buy something, a block of wax, gloves,lock, something, every time I go in, because Bola has spent lots of time on my needs and I try to support him in any way I can. It's hard to make it in such a niche sport such as Alpine boarding.

Don

P.S. I don't even ride Alpine

Myself...I'm a bit of a bottom feeder when it comes expendatures on all the sports equipment I outfit myself and family with,benefitting from the 'trickle down'effect of equipment from those that get it while it's new and hot,here and on ebay.But that doesn't stop me from patronizing the local skishop and bikeshop when I go in to chat and browse.I usually get gloves for the kids or wax I might not even need, or sale goggles or something,but I almost always get something.Come to think of it I bought the boys 104 Atomic there.

Anyway,it's mostly just a gesture,but it goes a long way toward letting them know I appreciate them being there.Competing with the internet is a tough racket.

You were dealing with Bola, (the owner). He is totally behind the Alpine thing. BUT he is also in the business to sell product. He knows his products well and will spend all the time in the world educating someone towards an informed decision/purchase. Unfortunately some people find something used or on closeout somewhere else and use his time/store/products to make a decision, all the time knowing they have no intention to buy anything from him. For example: People come in expecting him to loan/rent a $2K+ Kessler or Virus. They have no intention of buying, they just want to see what it's like. Once a board is ridden it isn't worth near as much, and the damage risk factor is big. If someone is serious, and is going to buy a board/boots/gear, that's different, and he will work with you long and hard to get you set up proper, and stand behind the sale/product 100%.

I'm a freak among freaks and Bola has spent many hours on my stupid questions, and strange ideas. In return, I have bought boards, bindings,misc stuff, and I also make it a point to buy something, a block of wax, gloves,lock, something, every time I go in, because Bola has spent lots of time on my needs and I try to support him in any way I can. It's hard to make it in such a niche sport such as Alpine boarding.

Don

P.S. I don't even ride Alpine

What the Dude says is 100% correct. Bola has been burned more than a few times with spending a bunch of time informing and fitting product on someone only to have them walk out of the store and purchase somewhere else.

Stand up fella in this industry, if you ask me, and extremely knowledgable.

Ink

I bought bindings sight unseen from Bola after talking to him on the phone, then visited his store last summer and spent a few hours there trying on boots, ultimately purchased some ATB's. The liners were too small so he's setting me up with a larger size liner at no cost. Granted, I paid full boat for the boots, but his time and experience were part of the price.

He ain't got it easy trying to sell high end products to kids raised on the internet, makes me wonder how much longer he can keep doing it. Great shop though, a true candy store for boarders.

I will admit that his style is unique, possibly a cultural thing, so I can imagine how an "american" kid used to being treated in a fast food sort of "help me now" service could be put off, simply put, Bola ain't in a hurry :)

For me, knowledge like Bola's is hard found, so if I gotta wait and do it his way, then that's the way to do it. Course I live in the South and speak the "slow down" language, which certainly helps :rolleyes:

A little worldy advice for the OP: Wisdom as a commodity is priceless, esp when you don't have it and you want it. Take the time to learn from your elders, think of it as training for your future :D

Bola spent forever with me when I needed my first pair of Hard Boots Fitted. He made sure they were what my feet needed and sent me around to make sure I got what I needed to get the perfect fit. He even met me on the slopes and gave me his time helping me learn. I have nothing but great things to say about him. So much so that the OLD unused snowboard from LONG AGO that I found at a Garage Sale will go via UPS to him as a GIFT for all the time and advice etc he has given me over the past few years. My only problem with Bola is that his shop is in Boulder CO, and I live in Hood River, OR.

I wouldn't hesitate to send somebody to or back to his shop. My advice is go back and sort it out ...or call him on the phone before hand and make sure he will be in the store when you get there.