Note to New Members ×

Jasey Jay Anderson Snowboards

Ernie00

Is it a special insert patterm or UPM?

Sounds like a terrible idea to have your insert pattern just for your own plate system. How many racers would really buy these boards PLUS the plates and not be able to mix and match?

I don't think I would buy a JJA snowboard, a board that has yet to claim any podiums or titles, if I couldn't use a Bomber Boiler Plate. At the same time, why buy a plate that won't fit on my fleet of Kesslers or ANY OTHER SNOWBOARD?

:smashfrea

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets wait and see but im pretty sure no one has played around with plates more than the Canadian Team JJ included, i'd bet the farm it's UPM on both but on the wider board it just looks different. The fact that he's producing boards with just UPM confirms what i have concluded,a complete and comprehensive matching of board and plate is the future. From my perspective the BBP has great hardware and as a racing plate (very stiff) gives the performance you would expect. I am however convinced future plates will have to be as varied in stiffness as boards to satisfy individual demand. Softer plates and stiffer bindings is the option i encourage people to try.

Is it a special insert patterm or UPM?

Sounds like a terrible idea to have your insert pattern just for your own plate system. How many racers would really buy these boards PLUS the plates and not be able to mix and match?

I don't think I would buy a JJA snowboard, a board that has yet to claim any podiums or titles, if I couldn't use a Bomber Boiler Plate. At the same time, why buy a plate that won't fit on my fleet of Kesslers or ANY OTHER SNOWBOARD?

:smashfrea

Ace. This is a fair statement for many. Keep in mind that some of those on the cutting edge of developing these systems may not be focused on the rec rider. For those looking for the ultimate system it is probably not a priority to make money through sales nor exchangeability on multiple boards.

It is important to remember the focus, what is the builders goal?

I know it is hard to rationalize some times that everyone is not here to make a killing. It is not always about the money, it is not always about you or "us". Sometimes it is about building the finest product that suites you and those around you. Fortunately there are those that can and do build products for "us", the rec riders , racers etc. Donek and Bomber systems are perfect examples. I do also accept that does NOT mean they are or are not the "best" system. We are fortunate that these companies, individuals are willing to put so much effort into them. It is a good thing! :biggthump

• 3 weeks later...

SunSurfer

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28149154?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" webkitallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Sunsurfer<br /> <br /> <br /> </iframe>

SunSurfer

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28149154?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" webkitallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"><br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Sunsurfer<br /> <br /> <br /> </iframe>

I like the rivet repair job shown at 00:10

some guy named RICHARD went to the "toy store" today and sent me this pic:

photo.jpg

he'll have to provide the details...

notice that being the narcissistic person that he is, he had to include himself in the photo. :barf:

Friccken flat brimmer... he sent me a pic of some other stuff he is going to be testing, should be an interesting season

mario

Anyone able to comment on the apparently assymetric placement for the plate attachment bolts to the mechanism between board and plate?

SunSurfer

Good eye SunSurfer. Yes, this board is set up regular to get the pressure points where your boots are at. These are prototypes and the gs is STIFF, both plate and board. The plate "belly" rests on the board till the board is decambered. It is a lowprofile system so not a lot of stack height. The BX board is super stiff as well.

I like the fact that the plate appears to have a huge range of options for placement on the board . :biggthump

Yeah, lots of options to get your stance right where you want it.

Ink

From these photo closeups, courtesy All Board Sports website and the FIS Smugmug site Landgraaf race page, it appears Jasey-Jay's plate has 4 separate axle units that he is setting up assymetrically under the plate.

At first consideration of this concept, I can't see a mechanical advantage to inducing twist into a decambered snowboard under a turning load.

SunSurfer

post-7136-14184234789_thumb.jpg

post-7136-141842347891_thumb.jpg

post-7136-141842347895_thumb.jpg

From my experience with hardware placement the offset axles are important to address the instability issue one feels almost like a delayed reaction to your initial movement, particularly felt at slow speeds (the peddling motion) less an issue when hardware is directly under the toe and heel of the boot. I don't believe it is as much inducing the twist that is desired (again the issue of do i or don't i peddle) as it is the ability to feel the direct feedback from the board . since the hardware is directly under the load . Not so much an issue wth recreational riders but in a 20 second race a real concern since you want immediate and constant feedback from you board. JJ got this one spot on :biggthump

I like the rivet repair job shown at 00:10

is it repair or a pretty much required mod if you want those boots to be dependable?

I've not had a ton of trouble with those boots but there's a lot of people that insist on doing that out of the box for dependability.

is it repair or a pretty much required mod if you want those boots to be dependable?

I've not had a ton of trouble with those boots but there's a lot of people that insist on doing that out of the box for dependability.

It's not a repair! Jasey always do that on is Deeluxe cause this piece is not very solid. Both boots are modified like that!

From my experience with hardware placement the offset axles are important to address the instability issue one feels almost like a delayed reaction to your initial movement, particularly felt at slow speeds (the peddling motion) less an issue when hardware is directly under the toe and heel of the boot. I don't believe it is as much inducing the twist that is desired (again the issue of do i or don't i peddle) as it is the ability to feel the direct feedback from the board . since the hardware is directly under the load . Not so much an issue wth recreational riders but in a 20 second race a real concern since you want immediate and constant feedback from you board. JJ got this one spot on :biggthump

Is this set-up a measure to further reduce plate flex....?

I belive this set-up will mitigate the undesirable disconnected feeling or lag in responce one feels from the board that could be due to either a plate that is too soft or hardware that cannot be placed where it is needed on the board to produce the greatest benefit. Like your binding foot print creating a flat area on your board right where you really don't want a flat spot. The plate hardware placement can influence the board as well, choosing exactly where on the board it should be is now restricted for most by the binding insert placement.(As a side note to anyone ordering a new board UPM, UPM, UPM) The added range of a UPM mount allows a greater variety of options which i think will prove to be important as development of plates continues. JJ has raised the bar for sure with this hardware. It will be interesting to see what degree of acceptance it has with those of us interested in plates. To answer the question "Is this a measure to further reduce plate flex" Not sure if it's the goal but it will have that result. I do know that the perfect plate is somewhere between too soft and too stiff, as to exactly where it and the hardware should sit on your board is up to personal choice. This type of hardware on a plate that would allow some torsional movement might not be undesirable to some. It would be interesting to see how much further away from underfoot JJ's hardware could be extended before it's performance was undesirable. It always seems to come back to the issues of plate flex, hardware placement and a compromise on how different it feels from your normal comfort zone. When riding with a plate i know my board will hold it's edge better than without but convincing yourself that you are comfortable while gaining trust in the plates performance takes time. That feeling of being locked into a turn and having to make a huge effort to release yourself from it or not feeling committed in a turn when you know you need to be are the two times when riding a plate for the first time is challenging. In my opinion that defines the difference in a plate that is either too soft or too stiff. One allows you to do one but not the other the best plate is the one that gives you the most confinence to do both. The best example of the differences you feel with or without a plate was on the split plate that articulated in the middle. The ability to peddle is the one motion the provides stability at slow speed that you can't get locked into a very stiff plate. It's a lot of hardware to fiddle with but it proved to me that peddling occurs even when i didn't think it did. I haven't tried TD3's on that plate and perhaps the elastomers in them would provide enough movement. The articulation leads me to belive that some plate flex is desirable.:sleep: