Note to New Members ×

Um... whats the big deal with northwaves??

DiveBomber

So i just got a pair of .950's in... and well...whats the big deal??

I dont see why they are sooo special?? Its the most ive ever paid for boots!

They arent that stiff. I think my heads are stiffer, and definately not as stiff as my modded kryptons.

I havent ridden them yet, but I just don't see anything magical, that makes people want them so much, and I cant even use intec with them!!!!:(

I remember when I asked the same question on the extremecarving forums and all I got were a bunch of no-answers or smug "the best boot ever if you must know hurumph hurumph", which leads me to believe that anybody who bought the boot is in some serious denial over what they spent 500euro on, ie: basically ugly ass 15 year old boots.

Maybe I was too brutal, I apologize for that, and Ive never ridden in a pair of Northwaves I should add, but Ive read a lot about them on EC and not everybody is raving about them. I just look at it as a cost-benefit ratio, you can pick up used perfect condition HSPs for $200. 500-700euro for Northwaves. Not worth it but then again Im poor :)

I sometimes wonder too... Never ridden them, though.

Just by looking at them, they seem to have couple of problems (I stand corrected):

- Same idiotic heel block location as UPZs;

- Too much ramping;

- Too high hinge point

On the bright side:

- The buckle arangement seems to be very nice;

- Tall cuffs

- Rigid sole

What's left to speculation, without being able to test them:

- Right amount of forward flex and travel?

- Right lateral flex?

- Quality (plastic, make)?

I agree with BlueB's assessment, also not having used them. Hinge seems very high. Although this does allow the ankle buckle to be in a good location. I don't like how the bottom of your heel sits on top of where the binding bail goes. Presumably this is to further reduce sole-length. In my experience this won't matter because it is the overall boot length that determines clearance. So, this non-fix simply leads to a ton of ramp angle.

4460049454_fe2b88ea3b.jpg

By comparison, Deeluxe's hinge seems a little lower, but the ankle strap is still in a great spot.

36.3.jpg

also, red is faster than orange. ;)

not to be a thread crasher, but i do have a boot inquiry. ive been in the raichle /deelexe AF700/indy since 2001. the only issues i had with them was after about a season and a half something would break. not like buckle break, more like rip the heel's of them, or split the boot in half on the lower section. after a while i got pretty used to it, and the swap outs were easy, in these 10 years, ive only had three liners and the same foot beds. my problem was in 08", when i split a set of the orange ones in half, i grabbed a pair of the white ones, while bomber was having a nice little spring special on them. i hated them, way to soft for me. so only after one season, i searched all over for an unused pair of either red or orange indy's. i found a place that still had some left, so after consulting with a great bootfitter, he told me i could actually go down a size, which would make the boot stiffer, and stronger. his idea worked and after a couple visits and a couple small grind's they seemed to be great. after about ten days in them i noticed that they were breaking down faster than usual, probably for sitting in a warehouse for 4+ years.

so i decided to make a huge switch, i picked up a pair of dalbello kryptons pro's off a ma and pa ski shop. i haven't ridden in them yet, but ive molded them and set them up to mimick the forward lean off my old boots. they are pretty cool with all the adjustments and i know im going to be making changes here and there for at least 3-5 days of riding time.

i was wondering if anyone on this forum has them and what did they do, as far as how they set them up ?

they have two different footboards, i went with the soft ones instead of the hard ones. i put an 8* wedge for forward flexing on my rear foot and left the front foot at 0*. i left the stiff tonges in, and i have no lockout on the forward flex control. i left the canting option alone until i get on the snow, then ill start farting around with that. my impression so far is good, i actually made them feel like a stiffer/more rugged pair of my deeluxes. so ill have a day or two on them before i get up to the bootfitter to really dial them in.

let me know if anyone has had good luck with them ?

post-1557-141842343035_thumb.jpg

not to be a thread crasher, but i do have a boot inquiry. ive been in the raichle /deelexe AF700/indy since 2001. the only issues i had with them was after about a season and a half something would break. not like buckle break, more like rip the heel's of them, or split the boot in half on the lower section. after a while i got pretty used to it, and the swap outs were easy, in these 10 years, ive only had three liners and the same foot beds. my problem was in 08", when i split a set of the orange ones in half, i grabbed a pair of the white ones, while bomber was having a nice little spring special on them. i hated them, way to soft for me. so only after one season, i searched all over for an unused pair of either red or orange indy's. i found a place that still had some left, so after consulting with a great bootfitter, he told me i could actually go down a size, which would make the boot stiffer, and stronger. his idea worked and after a couple visits and a couple small grind's they seemed to be great. after about ten days in them i noticed that they were breaking down faster than usual, probably for sitting in a warehouse for 4+ years.

so i decided to make a huge switch, i picked up a pair of dalbello kryptons pro's off a ma and pa ski shop. i haven't ridden in them yet, but ive molded them and set them up to mimick the forward lean off my old boots. they are pretty cool with all the adjustments and i know im going to be making changes here and there for at least 3-5 days of riding time.

i was wondering if anyone on this forum has them and what did they do, as far as how they set them up ?

they have two different footboards, i went with the soft ones instead of the hard ones. i put an 8* wedge for forward flexing on my rear foot and left the front foot at 0*. i left the stiff tonges in, and i have no lockout on the forward flex control. i left the canting option alone until i get on the snow, then ill start farting around with that. my impression so far is good, i actually made them feel like a stiffer/more rugged pair of my deeluxes. so ill have a day or two on them before i get up to the bootfitter to really dial them in.

let me know if anyone has had good luck with them ?

MJD makes an apperance outside ME/NH/VT.

Super interested to hear what others think about the Kryptons as well, looking at them for next year.

I'm also interested to hear what you say about the Kryptons, JD, as they look like a perfect solution for mixing it up with skiing with the kids. My only concern is that they look quite narrow...? My dad skis in them and loves them. (and he's good)

they have two different footboards, i went with the soft ones instead of the hard ones

Try one in each boot. The hard one will likely enhance snow feel/balance.

Jack,

The Kryptons are probably no slimmer than your old Nordica GP or XZero9.

Way back when, Hostetter rode a pair of Flexon comps to good effect.

I'm also interested to hear what you say about the Kryptons, JD, as they look like a perfect solution for mixing it up with skiing with the kids. My only concern is that they look quite narrow...? My dad skis in them and loves them. (and he's good)

I am using Full Tilts for both disciplines and love them. Every snowboard boot I have tried has given me awful shin bang but the FT's work a treat. The added bonus is leaving them on when I ski with the kids. My only problem was width but once they got blown they were perfect. Next season I am going to get some Palau liners to try. If I can find a cheap pair of Kryptons I will snap them up and try them out.

Here's a picture of them skiing.

post-6153-141842343049_thumb.jpg

I have them now for 10yrs, nothing special, time to change to better boots with the end of the season, thinking $150 shipped, Mondo 26.

PS: April Fool is over now. I did buy them for cheap new back then. Still love them and sorry for those who inquired. Including my own brother lol.

I can see why a person could react this way, especially if you overpaid. Yes, the Point 900 and 950 boots are dated and could have several improvements, still an excellent boot considering they were designed years ago.

For me the simple but clever spring system and a boot that is designed specifically to compliment the ankles range of motion, while perfectly supporting the stress that a spring system places on a boot, IMHO were ahead of it's time and a big part of why the boot is so well liked by so many. The cuff movement is excellent and the springs can be tuned for huge easy movement or very stiff movement depending on your preference making the Northwave liked by both racers, freecarvers, ECers, etc.

The current BTS appears to be inspired by both a need to improve on Raichle's RAB spring system and was inspired by the many homemade spring systems that popped up on the EC site when the Northwave spring mods were discussed several years ago. Installing a spring system onto the 'other' brands of hardboots seems to be an after thought in the boot design process, for the Northwave it seems to have been a key focus.

It will take a bit of time to get to know these boots, several rides to adjust the cuff cant, the lean on the springs and the springs you decide to use. Getting to know these boots may be the beginning of a long and lasting friendship, give them a fair shake before you sell them.

Cheers

Rob

I have them now for 10yrs, nothing special, time to change to better boots with the end of the season, thinking $150 shipped, Mondo 26.

PS: April Fool is over now. I did buy them for cheap new back then. Still love them and sorry for those who inquired. Including my own brother lol.

Got me!! :freak3:

After 10 years on my loved Raichle Snowboard boots, I've

decided to change them after some breakage.

I've bought raichle 125, 324 , Garmont Megaride G-Fit,

Head Cirrus,Head Stratos Pro LTS and finally NW .900

I love them, short sole, forward flex controlled by the

the springs and not from the plastic( no temperature

issue), and easy flex modding by changing springs or just screwing and unscrewing.

Laterally stiffness.

You lock the boots at morning and forget them until getting back to

my car. Set and forget

and finally NW .900

issue), and easy flex modding by changing springs or just screwing and unscrewing.

Laterally stiffness.

my car. Set and forget

Then you're lucky. When I rode those boots, the original blue tongues became as hard as concrete. Especially in the morning when the temps were lower than in the afternoon. I changed them by the softer Raichle tongues. The fit of the boots was very good with the standard liners after I had made the plastic basesole thinner due to my high arch (feet). In the end I sold those boots to a french guy, I went back to my Deeluxe Intec.

Jack,

The Kryptons are probably no slimmer than your old Nordica GP or XZero9

Those Nordicas felt significantly narrower than the Langes to me.

Laterally stiffness.

my car. Set and forget

You just described my T700s with BTS.