Note to New Members ×

Coiler Monster

Silver Bullet

What do we know about the Coiler Monster? Is it a titanal all mountain board? Is it a NS tapered shape or variable radius? I'm looking for a rugged all mountain board to ride on and off piste when the groom is worn out. I'm not looking for the taper of a NSR or FLC. Does this fit the bill?

Thanks for any help,

Stephen J

What do we know about the Coiler Monster? Is it a titanal all mountain board? Is it a NS tapered shape or variable radius? I'm looking for a rugged all mountain board to ride on and off piste when the groom is worn out. I'm not looking for the taper of a NSR or FLC. Does this fit the bill?

Thanks for any help,

Stephen J

I think so, email boardmaster Bruce, he's really effin' good at making you the board you'll love.

Thanks for any help,

Stephen J

based on you post, I take it that you have not seen Bruce's description on his website. Here is the link.

I wouldn't call the Monster an "all mountain" board in the traditional sense. It does do well over most of the mountain, but has a low nose, so it does not do great in deep stuff. Like Bruce says, the Monster is a versatile freecarve board.

I have an early model Monster with the 14/15m SCR's. This board was released prior to the VSR model. The board technically has variable sidecut radius' since the SCR's have to be blended in some fashion, it's not when compared to Bruce's VSR model. It has some taper, but no a ton. If I was at home, I would measure for you.

Based on what you are asking, a "AM VSR" sounds like a more viable option. I am not sure what modifications Bruce makes to add the "AM" prefix, but the nose does look taller.

I'd call it a mellow freecarve board. I love mine. It's definitely full titanal construction. It handles choppy snow well, but it's not really made for powder. I second bobdea's suggestion: Talk to Bruce, tell him what you want to do and he'll either tell you it's impossible in one board or give you a suggestion.

Don't forget Sean at Donek too. Both make beautiful boards.

Bruce and I were riding Monsters in the powder at OES '09 and talking about how they might be tweaked for more off-piste duty.

I had one of the 14/15 decks as well, and the fact that it was soft on both ends and somewhat tapered actually made it behave quite well in powder. Better in powder than my AM176.

It did not, however, hold a candle to the AM176 in bumps, tracked-out junk, heavier fresh, etc. So no, it's not a true AM.

Having said that, if I were going to ask Bruce to make me a softie board, the shape would be based on a Monster rather than an AM... because I think the things about the AM that make it an AM could be transferred over to the Monster. Just my hare-brained thoughts, which Bruce may or may not agree with ;)

Hmmm... I kind of knew I was asking a dumb question when I wrote this post.

I'll call Bruce and see what he thinks.

What I'd really like is a metal board for bombing on the groom, EC when it hits 40 deg, slicing though the chop, dropping into a chute, face shots in the pow, and hitting the bumps.

I know that is a tall order, but I just described 1 run from the tram at Snowbird.

Do you ever feel like alpine riding is a lot like golf? Perhaps all I need is a board caddy to follow me around with my quiver. "Here you are sir, ride this one for the next 300 yards."

What I'd really like is a metal board for bombing on the groom, EC when it hits 40 deg, slicing though the chop, dropping into a chute, face shots in the pow, and hitting the bumps.

I know that is a tall order, but I just described 1 run from the tram at Snowbird."

I lived in SLC for 6 months before moving to CO and got to ride Snowbord a few times - simply AWESOME!!! I can relate to the run you described. At the time I was riding an Avalanch Sanders 164 (the white one w/ the cool racing stripe and snub-nose) w/ Burton rat traps, and that thing did everything you've described. I like the sounds of what Mike T descibed for a modified Monster (for hardies, not softies). I've riden a couple of Monsters at the last 2 SES's and I love them - one of my favorite boards. Very versatile, fun, fast stable, easy to ride/carve, but not a top-end performance carver nor an off-piste chowder machine. Also look at the metal Axxis f/ Donek - more AM than the Monster I think, but maybe less of a carver.