Note to New Members ×

Best resort in North America?????

Willow 15

There are other suggestions, but 90% of us are going to Aspen. In addition the Session, Joerg also has his Euro crew here for a week or two prior, so A. that would be a good time to come and B. he's a good person to talk to about planning trips for Euro Skiers, because that's what he does :biggthump

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack you should work for Jackson Hole's tourist board as you've sold it to me.

:D

Of course if you can finagle the trip to coincide with SES, you should go there. But JH is amazing, I could live there. My biggest regret was not bringing my 185 NSR, there are some sick groomers. You will want an all-mtn ride too, as there is a pantload of off-piste action. One thing I didn't realize is that the town of Jackson is a 15-20 minute drive, and that's where a lot of nightlife is. The base of the mountain is called Teton Village, and there is some good nightlife at the Mangy Moose, and some good/fine restaurants (reservations recommended). But if you are going to be there for a week you are going to want transportation into Jackson, which may mean renting a vehicle. That's what we did, but there is also a bus system.

No mention of north Lake Tahoe yet? Alpine Meadows? Sugar Bowl? Squaw? Alpine Meadows and Sugar Bowl were my most memorable trips ever for conditions (although this was pre-hardboots for me)...not sure how they are for hardbooters...

Having had a pass @ squaw this last year, I'd give it a serious "meh" overall, and a yuck for carving. Their grooming is atrocious. Yes, that bad. Plus they are low (in comparison to Mt. Rose or Kirkwood), so a lot of the groom is boilerplate. If you are a skier and you like to ski bumps, not a bad place to go... guess what I did a lot of last season? I couldn't beat 'em so I joined 'em, slapping on skis and skiing some bumps.

Alpine has similar terrain and elevation to squaw... so not the best place for carving, though arguably a much better place if you like off-piste stuff that you are willing to work for. Again much more diverse if you are on skis than a snowboard, let alone a carving board. There are a few good carving runs, but not many.

Sugar Bowl... it's been a while, but its nature as a "day tripper" resort for Bay Area folks would remove it from World Class for me right from the get-go. They do get a lot of snow, but they don't have that much vertical and it's really not all that big of a mountain.

Which is not to say that any of the three foregoing resorts aren't phenomenal on the right day. I just wouldn't put them in the "world class" category.

BC... as someone said, BigWhite/ Silverstar (both of which I visited last year) are good, if the snow's good. Mostly mellow, nice people, Aussie run. There's a bus between the two (they're owned by the same family). Big White's bigger and has true ride in/out. SilverStar, you may have to walk across a parking lot. Very few Brits (a good thing).

What do you mean by, 'Aussie run'? Just curious, that's all. :)

Gotta second Jack's suggestion. Jackson Hole is awesome. We stayed in the town of Jackson at a huge complex called Snow King which has its own mountain. I don't know if it still applies but you could ski/ride Snow King in the evening for free if you stayed there.

I can only compare it to Park City, Breck, Vail, Keystone, Taos, Telluride, Steamboat, Winter Park, Lake Louise, Heavenly, Alpine Meadows, Kirkwood, and Squaw but I'd have to rate Jackson Hole at the top of the list. Even my wife who prefers urban areas said she could live in Jackson. We stopped in to see a realtor (this was in 2006) and the cheapest listing in town was $560,000.

Most well know large resort with snow will be pretty amazing.

Last year was weird for me. Went to Aspen and no snow(not during SES), small rock/pebbles every where. Had ok time; base is scratch to hell...

JH is great. But when you get do fresh snow; it can get crazy busy!!!

Seems like every one just drop what they are doing and show up on the mountain.

In my current ability; JH is not the best carver friendly mountain. Sure it's got some groomer but the off pist stuff is where JH shine.

In bound easy access to stuff like Hoback get track out super quick...

If you are willing to hike headwall/casper bowl hold out pretty well.

Grand Targee is about a hour away from Jackson and fresh track are an easy find even 2 days after a snow storm. They even have a section that's close off just for snow cat skiing.

I usually stay @ snow king as well. Killer hot breakfast buffet. No more free night skiing last year for me.

For a house I been semi seriously looking at Driggs.Victor of Idaho. It's much cheaper than Jackson. There is BUS go from the town to jackson hole or Grand Targee is only 10-20 minutes away.

HTH

--

David

If I had the resources it's where I'd live!

Oops. We were there in 2006, not 1996. Senility is setting in....

Another plus is the relatively close proximity to Yellowstone. My child bride (she's only 56) and I spent a week there cross country skiing among the bison. She was saying "hurry up and take the picture".

124cz0y.jpg

LOL... maybe 2012. Hopefully I get better @ carving and be able to take full advatage of the session.

--

David

You don't have to be an expert carver to enjoy it. I attended my first Session in 2007, with a whopping 7 days on hard boots (and 2 previous seasons on softies), and I still had an awesome time and got a lot out of it because there are clinics and riders of all levels.

I enjoyed Aspen and the Session so much, it prompted me to want to move to Colorado. A wish that I successfully executed a short year and a half after my first visit in 2007 :biggthump

LOL... maybe 2012. Hopefully I get better @ carving and be able to take full advatage of the session.

--

David

You might progress faster if you move west and ride more! :ices_ange How are your plans for westward migration shaping up?

And back to the topic - yes, JH is epic. And it might be fun for some to hop a bus and do a day or two at Targhee - often amazing powder, though it was epic groomers all last season. No one in their right mind would come here for Snow King (except racers & SkESers of course!) But if you can convince them to go to Aspen, especially during SES..... do it!!!

Beaver creek, with their up to the minute reports and all day grooming is hard to beat. Way more steep, fall line runs. They ( aspen and those ) have nothing like the Talons or Grouse. When the Golden Eagle DH run is fresh groomed, no area in the lower 48 can beat that. They have nothin on the Beav. It is connected to Batchelor Gulch and that is ski in to the Ritz. That is connected to arrowhead and I think we all forget how long and well kept the runs are there. If you have not been to Arrowhead in a while, re visit and you will be pleasantly stoked.

The Beav is pretty darn bad ass. Besides, how could someone not like poundi'n the Beav ?

Michelle/angie/queequeg:

Thank you for spenting my money lol

Need to crunch some numbers. SES does sound mighty temping...

With st. moritz and PB&J it might be a possibility.

2Ravens:

After the report from SKES. I just have to check out Snow King next time I am @ JH.

Tons of junior racers was there; they make the steep look like nothing...

Journey to the west are still in progress but very slowly.

Current Road Block:

1. House is on the market. However doesn't look good with way the things are going. Nothing is selling and price are going down down...

2. The company that want to hire me in Montana got bought by my current company. What are the odds of that?

So there is a hire freezing are in effect.

In the best case scenario(at least I am hoping).

I could be keep my current job and transfer to Montana after the acquisition dust settle(keeping da finger cross).

Then just take a lost on the house but it should even out as the housing price should be lower where I am looking.

--

David

A massive big thanks to everyone, you have given me a lot of homework to do. The photo's have been great to. I have just got back from my last summer vacation in Portugal and now I am getting properly excited for the onset of winter. I have two trips to France planned and some days in Scotland weather permitting, (get that Donek dialed in Keiran cause the Gorm is getting a hard boot blitz)for 2010/11 but I am really looking forward to the season after. I will let you know which resort gets picked and then will be asking you for all relevant information, carving slopes, etc.

Michelle/angie/queequeg:

Thank you for spenting my money lol

Need to crunch some numbers. SES does sound mighty temping...

With st. moritz and PB&J it might be a possibility.

hey David

the SES can be done "affordably" for Aspen if you plan ahead. Check out the St Moritz Inn. It's set up as a hostel type place where you share a room, and the SES people pretty much take it over during the SES week so more than likely you will be in a room with other carvers. However, because of that it fills up fast.

Also, we will be opening a thread soon for sharing accomodations for the SES. This will allow people that don't want the hostel type situation to be able to get together and share condos, houses, etc. It's a great way to meet people, and to get into a more traditional housing situation for the event.

If you are seriously considering coming to the SES, definitely send me an email and i can help you further get yourself organized and in touch with the right folks. We'd love to see you there!

PS. Best of luck with the house and new job situation. Montana is a fabulous place to relocate to!

I think if there are skiers in the group I'd pick Snowbird, just because the snow and terrain are so sick, and the sweetest ski-hill in the word is just up the canyon - Alta - but it doesn't allow boards.

For all-boarding I'd have to say Jackson Hole, but you need to enjoy serious pitch.

You're more likely to find a posse of hardbooters at some of the east coast resorts - I'd put Stowe first, then Stratton and Loon. Sugarloaf if you're planning on just riding and sleeping.