Note to New Members ×

Best resort in North America?????

Willow 15

Hi everyone, I am after some advice from the forum with most knowledge. The place where I work has an annual ski/snowboard trip and in 2012 we are planning to come stateside. What I would like to know is which is the best resort that is a true ski to your door facilities?

I have boarded Whistler, Banff and Kicking Horse, all were amazing. Most of the people who go on the trip are used to European ski in/out resorts, so this is the kind of thing I am looking for. Next on the list would be a place that caters for all abilities. Time wise, normally back end of January.

I am not the organiser but do have a big say in the destination so your good suggestions will be invaluable.

If I can I will be making subtle suggestions to go to Aspen early in Feb, cause apparantly there is some kind of cool event that happens around that time!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to stick to Canada, either Big White or Sun Peaks would fit the bill. Neither of them has the sort of terrain you can find at Whistler/Blackcomb but they are plenty big and definitely have something for everybody. Not sure how big your group is but both places have choice of either ski-in/ski-out condos or hotels.

Thanks Neil, Definitely include the States. We are probably coming for 10 days with about 50/60 people. I personally would like to go to America as I have never boarded there yet.

One thing I do worry about, especially in Canada is January weather. There will be kids comming to.

That's one thing where Big White and Sun Peaks are good - they are both interior of BC and relatively low elevation so the weather is pretty mild.

Another option is the Big Mountain in Montana. If you go there at the end of January you may well end up running into Shred and his crew. That may be good or bad...

Aspen. It is unchallenged worldwide as being the best of the best. Just ask Joerg and Remo from Pureboarding where they love to go, and who has the best groom. If I could be a full timer in Aspen I would, but for now, 1 fun filled week with all my friends will have to do. Come to Aspen, you will NOT be dissapointed.

Think Snow!

Last time I stayed at Sun Peaks (2009) it was about 250 US per night for 2 people (125 per person) with 2 lift tickets, about 75 feet to the chairlift. This was a double room with a small kitchen. If you book when their season starts you will get a sweet deal. Three mountains with quality grooming and kid's activities. Plus in Canada you can take the kids into the bar.

jackson hole if you like bad ass pow sessions.

the park city areas little bit of everything and tend to have awesome snow.

there's others too, depends on what you want.

if you have people that will be in first time lessons steamboat is really really good. actually a ton of easy trees there so if you want to learn to ride in the woods it's a great place as well.

if you want crowded and cramped there's vail....

I always think that unless you are regular visitor to the US, a ski/board vacation here should be as much a cultural experience as a change of ski scenery. While ski in/out is always nice, it doesn't expose you to the culture. So why not do something totally different like stay around Salt Lake City area, rent a couple of mini vans, hit several different resorts, buy cheap lift tickets from Costco, variety of entertainment in SLC, Park City, etc. This also allows the powder hounds, and the carvers to go to their separate ways on occasion.

786042842_jocib-XL.jpg

middle of this gully is perfectly groomed nightly, as are many other great slopes:

786052523_427gK-XL.jpg

In the town of Jackson, 20 minutes away:

786064887_ZMY87-XL.jpg

the famous Mangy Moose, at the base of the slopes:

786068203_JbQ9N-XL.jpg

that's just the restaurant side, the bar side is great, and has been rated the best apres-ski bar by many mags.

Tram gets you instant access to over 4000' :eek: of usable vert:

786230187_LCP3v-XL.jpg

786222754_nPaW7-XL.jpg

Stay here, ski-in/out:

786229282_xHPBf-XL.jpg

And to cap it off, the Jackson Hole airport is within sight of the resort.

Wow maybe I should take a trip to JH this year. Does the weather come with it???

It also depends on budget. If you are looking for cheaper lift tickets, relatively cheap housing and eats, Summit County is great. You can buy discounted lift tickets almost anywhere, and there's tons of local places to eat, drink, and lay your head. However, during the busy season (christmas and weekends) be ready to share with 30,000 of your closest front range friends. :) But it's still a great place to ride, learn, and grab tons of powder most days.

I'd put Mammoth on the list. Not sure about ski in ski out (I'm too cheap), but 5-8 min. walk is definitely affordable. Zoo on the weekends (as will be most any north american resort), but midweek you are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. Getting there efficiently would be the challenge. Probably flying into LA and driving or then flying to Reno and driving would be about the same. Guess it just depends how far you would be willing to drive.

The drive up to Mammoth from LA is unspectacular to me but I've lived most of my life in the desert. For those who are unfamiliar, the desert can be pretty spectacular in its own way. Plus, there's nothing like landing in 75 degree LA weather and being in full on winter at 8500' 7 hours later.

Sun Valley and Jackson Hole would definitely be on the list too.

I know it's kind of a silly question to ask on this forum, but what kind of riding are you looking for?
It will be for all abilities of skier and boarder. Of course I will leaving fine lines with my hard boots.

Jack you should work for Jackson Hole's tourist board as you've sold it to me.

John E As Ursle said - if you come to Aspen Feb 5th - 11th,
As I have mentioned I am not organising the trip, only helping to choose destination. I am trying very hard to manipulate the choice of Aspen at the beginning on Feb 2012.

Please keep the ideas coming as they are very helpful. Thanks

I'd put Mammoth on the list. Not sure about ski in ski out (I'm too cheap), but 5-8 min. walk is definitely affordable. Zoo on the weekends (as will be most any north american resort),

mammoth is good but has plenty of down sides that many places don't. weekends are one. lots of places in the rockies are not much busier on weekends because they are primarily destination resorts. like all ski areas though on vacation weeks they are a mess.

mammoth does have a ton of good riding but it's really high traffic too so any good pow gets tracked out quick and it also has a a lot of people that should be no where near snow for a few reasons. it's also sort of a locals hill in the sense that to really experience it you have to know your way around and when to hit what.

it's like the killington of the west but has some unreal terrain if you can find it and don't mind fighting for your line.

I used to ride plates first thing then switch to softies and head for the woods as soon as the masses made it out of the parking lots.

My 2p, as I'm from this side of the pond.

• First off, I'm not sure how long you're out there for, but I'm assuming you need a destination resort. Translation: it has to have potential to keep some people busy for some time, a week or two.
  • You probably don't have transport, so you need either one big place, or several small places you can get between by public transport.

Places like Wyoming and Montana would be nice but they're pretty small and isolated, so would probably not be brilliant. A bigger "circus" would be better.

Colorado is ok. It's mostly mellow and that is possibly what you want. There are lots of places on that highway, although you may need a vehicle to take advantage of them. Lots of tourists and rules.

Utah... lots of small and excellent resorts, with the odd destination exception like Park City. You may be able to get transport from there to other local resorts. Ultimate powder.

BC... as someone said, BigWhite/ Silverstar (both of which I visited last year) are good, if the snow's good. Mostly mellow, nice people, Aussie run. There's a bus between the two (they're owned by the same family). Big White's bigger and has true ride in/out. SilverStar, you may have to walk across a parking lot. Very few Brits (a good thing).

I know some people at Sun Peaks. Nice place, nice people, has a good range of runs although it's not huge. You can drive to Wiegele's and fly stand-by (3 hours away). I think they closed the ballet in Kamloops (40 minutes or so). Very few Brits. Monashee Powder.

speaking of destinations, are you going to take any time up here this coming season?
I'll be there, so make it a better winter than last year.

mammoth does have a ton of good riding but it's really high traffic too so any good pow gets tracked out quick

Sounds like Whistler, Chamonix and Verbier all amazing places to board but fresh tracks dissapear there at an alarming rate, unless you know where to look or a local helps you.