Note to New Members ×

Freestyle Carving Trick - The Casper

johnasmo

Shot this at Grand Targhee last weekend, April 10, 2010. Jeff is doing hands on the ground, trench digging carves, backwards. See for yourself; then be sure to check out his "bobblehead cam" video here. It's a classic.

What do we call this, freestyle carving? A series of linked switch carves is one thing, i.e. riding switch, but I think a series of linked same-side carves qualifies as a trick, and henceforth it should be called a "Casper" since he does it with great style. There can be heelside Caspers and toeside Caspers based on what edge is being repeated, or you could call them frontside Caspers and backside Caspers based on the rotation for the first switch carve. There could even be half Caspers and full Caspers based on whether you only link two same-side turns and then ride switch at least one turn before linking another two same-side turns. Watch the video; this is more than just "switch carving". The term switch Casper could be used to describe whether you start the first carve in the series while forward or switch.

In softies, this would just be about the transitions, and you'd call it a series of fronside/backside/switch 180's. But I think there's something special about doing it on an alpine board with good carved turns on either side that elevates these 180's to being "Caspers". I.e. 180's are just rotations, Caspers are 180 rotations while carving.

You can do video commentary with the above names:

"Frontside half Casper to switch heelside full Casper to backside half Casper"

Translation:

Entering on a toeside forward carve, rotating frontside to follow it with a toeside switch carve, linking that to a heelside switch carve (hence the first switch carve only constituted a half Casper), then rotating back to a forward heelside carve followed by rotating immediately back to a switch heelside carve for three heelsides (constituting a full Casper). The rider is now finishing a heelside switch carve, and then links to a toeside switch carve rather then continuing the previous Casper, and then finishes with a backside half Casper to end on a forward toeside carve.

I think there are examples of this combination in the video.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraJ20u5kB8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YraJ20u5kB8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wonderful...shows what practice can do...Smmmoooootttthhhhhh :biggthump

I must say that riding Duck is where Fakie/Switch came from but to me this is way

harder as you are really going Backwards...not forward in both directions...

I also am aware that many HB racers can ride backwards with Style as well...

I do this myself at slow speeds to dial in my edges better...no nothing like this :eek:

Casper Carving is a good name... and I have never seen anyone do it as good as this...Bravo :)

A casper is a skate trick. No way to do it on a snowboard though...

Bummer. :(

Guess we could call it Vesting, but I think Caspering sounded better.

Since it doesn't cross over to snowboarding, except maybe in some future of extreme noboarding, we could still use the name in the alpine boarding context. If I ever see anyone else riding like that, I'm gonna immediately think, "Hey, that guy is Caspering!". So that's what I'll be calling it.

Is that all? It looks as easy to do as pie.....

Seriously, that's some Crazy mad skill right there- I can carve fakie tentatively on green runs with LOTS of room, but not as aggresively or with as seamless a transition as that.

It inspires me to get back on the hill and PRACTICE.

Having spent Saturday riding with Casper, I must say it is as amazing as it looks, certainly more amazing in person. Casper has great style and flow to his riding, truly original. A little over 2 seasons ago Casper was just starting to work on this style of riding. It is very impressive to see his progression and creativity. I wonder what the next season will bring?

Please do not turn this thread into a flame show about what to call it. We can have our own names for stuff. It really looks like Casper Carving to me.

This video showcases what may bring more young riders into the sport and keep it alive and thriving.

Great work on the video Johnasmo, another fine creation!!

Casper it was great riding with you again, you have inspired me yet again to mix it up!

dredman

Does he ride normally with such small stance or due it is easier to do fakie turns ? Great lookin anyway :D

I have always used a very narrow stance with the one exception of riding my Swoard. It's very comfortable and probably does make it easier to ride backwards. I of course sacrifice stability, which you can see in the video where you can see me falling forward into the nose when i hit a bump but on the whole it works for me.

Is he just trying to make those of us who are less than expert carvers feel bad? He makes this look so easy.
thanks, i worked on this for two years before i got comfortable at it.

this sort of thing happens when you spend 99 percent of time carving by yourself, you get bored and try something different. at teton village where i carve most of time, i am the only HBer. there are two others but i almost never see them. it's a rush to ride backwards. cheers.

Please do not turn this thread into a flame show about what to call it. We can have our own names for stuff. It really looks like Casper Carving to me.

Since he made the style, it should be named after him, or let him decide the name, or something along those lines.

Now we have

Bomber style

EC

and CC. :biggthump

I find Casper's precision, athleticism and imagination for motion nothing less than awe inspiring. It is so cool to watch him cut loose on a nice wide groomer, but I've also seen him throw in a few switch carves on a scary narrow cat track that I was happy to just get down the regular way in one piece... No one else rides like Casper - just surreal!

And I love Casper's POV bobble head videos, but I'm glad we've got this superb johnasmo follow cam footage too! Thanks guys!

Looks like fun. I do 180s and mellow switch carves a lot, but I never even thought of taking it to this level until the first time I saw one of Casper's videos - very inclined switch carves, very frequent 180s, and all very fluid. And it's gotten more fluid, and it looks really fun... I have to try this.

Casper, have you noticed there's some asymmetry to the way you ride? A few times in the video I saw this sequence, for example at 0:30 and 0:40 and 0:54 in the video:

Forward toe-side carve into a left-to-right traverse

Toe-side 180 hop or slide

Switch heel-side carve

Heel-side 180 slide

Forward heel-side carve into a right-to-left traverse

Heel-side 180 during the traverse

Switch heel-side carve, both hands on the snow

But I never saw the mirror image:

Forward heel-side carve into a right-to-left traverse

Heel-side 180 hop or slide

Switch toe-side carve

Toe-side 180 slide

Forward toe-side carve into a left-to-right traverse

Toe-side 180 during the traverse

Switch toe-side carve, both hands on the snow

I'll be the first to acknowledge that your switch carving is way better than mine, so don't take this the wrong way... but if you're looking for a new challenge, that "mirror image" sequence might be it. :)

Very impressive - it's the smoothness which is important, and that's nearly perfect. I don't really care about snowboard ballet tricks which I think probably feel better than they look, but this looks good.

I'll need to spend a lot more time on piste to even start learning Caper carves.

Nicely done

Looks like a lot of fun.

Just out of curiosity what board are you riding? Looks like an old Rossignol.

early 1990s rossi 159R. i was definitely at a disadvantage riding with everyone else on coilers. i will have a coiler next year. i found myself without a modern board this year for reasons i won't go into but TwoRavens sold me this board and it works pretty good in good conditions.

Casper, have you noticed there's some asymmetry to the way you ride? A few times in the video I saw this sequence, for example at 0:30 and 0:40 and 0:54 in the video:

i do see it when i watch the video but i think i do it subconscienly. next time i am out i will pay more attention.

Your looking way more "fluid" than the vids from a couple years ago Jeff:biggthump nice work.

However smooth, my switch carves have a ways to go to get "EC" hand dragging like yours.

The inspiration comes a little too late for this season as Schwietzer just closed, but next year I'll dust off the 157 Asym Alp and do some pole-less practice.

Definitely looks cooler than my usual "bump board ballet", which does "feel better than it looks".

PS. Do you ever dig the tail in??

I pretty much quit riding square tails switch after a nasty tail dig body slam a few years ago on the factory prime.