SBX Clothing and other nonsense.

Xpedite

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But Trailertrash that right there is the problem. I wrote my words. I know 'the tone' of my words and I can tell you that the tone you and possibly others took was not 'the tone' intended. All I did was give a little of my snowboarding background to support why I feel like I do and people flipped out and turned my post in to something more than it was...like I knew was going to happen.

So go ahead and flame on me because I have an opinion that differs from the 'norm' on here. I ride soft boots. I carve. I turn heads where ever I ride. I am damn good. I'm not changing and neither should snowboarding.

Mnfusion

This comment is what set a lot of us off. Once you proclaim that you are the sh$#ts well your gonna get :flamethro

I don't know of any other BOL member that has EVERY stated "I am damn good" on this forum.

Come on man, who says stuff like? Take a more humble approach next time and you wouldn't get :flamethro

and people flipped out and turned my post in to something more than it was...like I knew was going to happen.

If you knew that before you posted, you should have gone back and rewritten your post to get your real point across effectively. But I have a feeling we did get your real point.

I for one support stigmatizing those that chose to look like a skier in Bx. Speed suits have their place in snowboarding and that is in alpine events. Bx is not an alpine event. To me, Bx is everything snowboarding is about.

I used to have a hard boot set up and I sold it. Why? It killed me to stray so far from what snowboarding is.

These are derogatory, inflammatory statements. Don't try to smooth them over now. You got the reaction you asked for.

I do not go to ski carving/racing sites and whine to the skiers there that they should try or have an open mind about carving/racing on a snowboard, or that snowboards are just as good. You know why I don't do that? Two things: skis are superior for racing, and I have better manners than that. I wouldn't blame skiers either if they thought skis were superior for carving. They could make a case for that because they can go faster, have twice as many edges to use, and can use their legs independently. I'm just not going to go to a ski site and have that argument, it's pointless and stupid. We welcome a lot of softboot discussion here, especially when it is on-topic of how to carve better in them. We do not welcome and are sick of the kooks who insist on asserting that softboots are just as good for carving, and who have no intentions of ever trying/retrying hardboots. Newsflash: this site is dedicated to hardboot snowboarding. If you came here because it is one of very few sites on the internet to have an adult conversation about snowboarding in general, you're in the wrong place.

I said style, not fashion. Those are two very different things.

The component of style that most hardbooters appreciate is the style of your turns. Aka carving technique. We appreciate a rider's precision at speed, level of aggression, fluidity in their carves. Style of the sort that prompts us to offer up compliments like "nice turns!" as opposed to "nice pants!". By this definition, personally I can appreciate the style of maybe 9 out of 10 hardbooters, and 1 out of 10 softbooters.

The "what you are wearing" component of style is fashion. They are not two very different things, they are the exact same thing. And if you support the "baggy clothes" rule in BX, then you care about fashion. Sorry if you consider that a bad word and don't like it applied to you, but it is what it is.

Do these close out pants make my butt look big?

I'm worried about what others may think:rolleyes:

Ah those "slope feelers" ("dry knees" and "dry butt"). Since you posted that all I can see is curb feelers (think Cadillac) mounted on a snowboard.

Ok, SO it's only funny to me and I'm damn good!:rolleyes:

BOL-

How about this... we, the BOL board, support ($$) a world cup level SBX athlete who is willing to wear tight functional apparel and hardboots. We'll beat 'em at their own game. After he wins a few maybe we could see a tipping point.

I'm in.

Getting "low" is not a measurement of skill.

very true

"The best riders and "carvers" can tackle AND CARVE the most varied terrain, adverse conditions and unfriendly pitches. The best riders in these scenarios typically ride softboots. period."

I can ride adverse conditions on any pitch that holds snow, but the more severe the terrain the more I'm glad to be in plastic shells. On steep icy bumps or a scraped out chutes the mere thought of lace ups & straps scares me & makes my ankles hurt just thinking about it.

You can call my flexy stepin boots a "crutch" or "training wheels", but they enhance not limit my ability to ride the steepest iciest terrain that'll hold an edge without foot pain. period.

PS they rock in easy powder too

Ah those "slope feelers" ("dry knees" and "dry butt"). Since you posted that all I can see is curb feelers (think Cadillac) mounted on a snowboard.

Ok, SO it's only funny to me and I'm damn good!:rolleyes:

BOL-

How about this... we, the BOL board, support ($$) a world cup level SBX athlete who is willing to wear tight functional apparel and hardboots. We'll beat 'em at their own game. After he wins a few maybe we could see a tipping point.

I'm in.

you want my paypal email?:biggthump

From a cursory reading of your responses to my responses to your comments, (which I quoted in full for clarity) a few things come to mind:

1. Some people take the 'buffet' approach to reading.

2. You missed my point.

Which is: You made a few statements on competitive clothing which seemed fairly silly and slightly ill-informed. I was amused, and felt compelled to type.

I don't know where you get the idea that I am pro-spandex or anti-progress.

I am in favor of the right tools for the job, 'style' be damned.

I am not advocating the use of speed suits for BX, but it would certainly make sense to have some sort of standard beyond a seemingly arbitrary 'pinch test'. (Does the FIS provide an official 'pincher' for each event? One with Homologated fingers?)

'Style' makes for an equally poor metric.

Suits for speed events must be certified to standards of air permeability, as well as for sliding friction on snow.

BX outfits should pass similar standards, for both fairness and safety.

I can't tell you about skiing, but snowboard technology has been advancing at a steady pace for the past several years. It sure seems like we're doing pretty well.

If you had a greater appreciation of high-end skiing, you would realize that, among other things, metal has been an integral part of ski construction for quite a long time.

The same is true of riser/isolation plates.

There have been several clear paradigm shifts/innovations in movement/technique in the last 20 years.

Same thing with competition clothing and armor.

Most of these latter advances have been symbiotic, with athletes driving technology, then technology driving the athletes, in a continuous loop.

Snowboarding may seem to be doing relatively well, at least until you widen your focus a bit.

True innovation in snowboarding, be it BX or PGS,etc., would be an effective suspension system. Now that would be real progress.

Regardless, "No Worries".

I think you guys should were those:

screenshot20100218at424.png

i just got a pair like that for myself, because of course as a women i would not wear baggy pants.

i have 2 black ones left, one with white stripes on the side. any takers? i am not kidding...

much cooler then baggy :lol:

If by carving you mean: riding all kinds of conditions, including groomed, ungroomed, bumps, crust, chopped powder, frozen chopped powder, granular, or pure powder... then softboots take the cake.

Like... I don't know RACING?!

I've worn soft boots since 86. I just started hard boots this season. Just recently I've had days where I've worn both... I'm sorry hard boots rock.

Are you running CATEK soft boot bindings? If not your bindings lack adjust-ability. How adjustable are those Softboots?

'nuff said.

I think you guys should were those:

screenshot20100218at424.png

i just got a pair like that for myself, because of course as a women i would not wear baggy pants.

i have 2 black ones left, one with white stripes on the side. any takers? i am not kidding...

much cooler then baggy :lol:

What size... how much? :ices_ange

It really bums me out that most of the posts here turn into pissing contests about whose style of riding is better than the other when it comes to carving and riding a snowboard. It also strikes me as very odd how competitive alot of people are on this post. Why are people so worried about proving that they are better or can one-up someone they have never met or ridden with? Why would you care or take offense if someone says that they are a damn good snowboarder? There are good soft boot riders that can carve, and there are quite a few that turn heads on the chairlift. That doesn't mean that they do it better than guys with plates and hardboots. A very smart man once told me "show me someone arguing with an idiot, and I'll show you two idiots". The soft vs. hard bashing is the same as carvers vs. racers. Why can't we all just get along?

P.S. The clothing rule for BoarderCross was originally instituted for safety. The idea was that G.S. suits provided little protection in rider-on-rider collisions, and slightly baggy clothing offered more. It is a similar reason as to why race suits for FIS and Olympic ski racing have to have a minimum porosity (ability for air to flow through). They found that the suits that allowed no air to pass through caused skiers to accelerate in crashes when the suits were in contact with the snow. Now, even the braces they wear under their suits have to be porous and pass inspections in order to be used in races. The suits actually get a small tag attached to prove that it passed tech spec.

No Jack, you don't get the point and I doubt you are open enough to get the point.

As someone said earlier...I am tired of trying to push around a rope with you.

don't talk to me about being open. you are the one who said you are not changing. I rode softies 2 weeks ago, when was the last time you rode hardboots?

<snip>

P.S. The clothing rule for BoarderCross was originally instituted for safety. The idea was that G.S. suits provided little protection in rider-on-rider collisions, and slightly baggy clothing offered more. It is a similar reason as to why race suits for FIS and Olympic ski racing have to have a minimum porosity (ability for air to flow through). <snip>.

If you believe that I have a bridge in .... to sell you.

This must be why the FIS lets those skiers do downhill in race suits... for the safety. :rolleyes:

Cite one source that backs that claim up. Just one.

From ISIA Competition Rules: http://www.isiaski.org/download/rules/WM_Reglement_Maribor_en.pdf

4.4. Equipment

Wearing a helmet and back protection is required. Wearing racing

attire or parts thereof is not permitted.

I have been looking for SBX FIA rules but cannot find the ones specific to SBX yet.

That above rule obviously does not 'explain' anything, nor is it an FIA rule that I know of but I do find it interesting that it specifically states that 'racing attire is not permitted'.

Researching a little further:

SBX is considered a freestyle event and is governed by such rules.

From FIS: "SBX competition suits must be two piece – pants and separate top. Form

fitting speed or downhill suites are not permitted. Non protruding body protection

and padding is recommended. Protective equipment i.e. back protection

must be worn on the body. No straps, fastening devices or other

methods can be used to tighten the suit material closer to the body."

From FIS Freestyle rule book for Ski Cross (which I assume are the same general rules for SBX) p. 89: http://www.fis-ski.com/data/document/icr-08-freestyle-print-version-with-changes-2009.pdf

"4511.4 Ski Suits

Ski suits must be two pieces; pants and a separate top. Suits worn in the

Alpine events of Downhill (DH), Super-G (SG), Giant Slalom (GS), Slalom

(SL), and Speed Skiing are not allowed.

Suit base material shall be textile fabrics excluding rubber, plastic, neoprene,

leather or vinyl like materials or fabrics. Patches of different material

are allowed provided that textile fabrics shall remain, in any event,

predominant.

Non-protruding body protection and padding is recommended.

Protection equipment including back protector or any other padding or

body amour must be worn on the body and separate from the ski suit

(outer wear). Protection and padding must not be built into the ski suit or

attached to the ski suit by a zipper, Velcro or any other means. Fastening

devices such as elastic straps, zippers, nylon straps, buttons, snaps, velcro,

one or 2 sided tape, or any other methods shall not be used to tighten

the suit material closer to the body or prevent the natural fall of the clothing.

The gap in the material must be a minimum of 80mm, measured everywhere

around the circumference of the, of each leg from the mid thigh to

the top of the ski boot and 60 mm everywhere around the elbow and the

bicep."

While I get the argument that about speed suits vs traditional snowboarding attire...what has made me laugh the most is that on this site a person who enjoys carving in soft boots vs hard boots is 'discredited' as being less of a carver than someone in hard boots. There is just an irony there for me.

As someone who has been riding for 25 years and has fought to even get snowboarding allowed on the hills in the early days, I enjoy that snowboarding has stayed close to its roots of soft boots and baggy clothing. Ever since its early days, snowboarding has always been about style, whether its in your riding or what you are wearing. I for one support stigmatizing those that chose to look like a skier in Bx. Speed suits have their place in snowboarding and that is in alpine events. Bx is not an alpine event. To me, Bx is everything snowboarding is about. Hell, me and my friends used to Bx on the hills before Bx ever had a name.

I used to have a hard boot set up and I sold it. Why? It killed me to stray so far from what snowboarding is. I am sorry if some here don't get that, but I have more fun laying carves in my softies than I ever did on a hard boot set up.

So go ahead and flame on me because I have an opinion that differs from the 'norm' on here. I ride soft boots. I carve. I turn heads where ever I ride. I am damn good. I'm not changing and neither should snowboarding.

As someone who has been riding for 25 years and I hated soft boots from the start. I was not a skier and could care less about whether the boots were leather or plastic. Anyone who can really carve gets kudos from me. On the hill or on this forum thingy we do.

I discredit no one except for thoughtless trolls. ( Not implying you are that. There are others though.)

Ever since the early days I could give two ****s about style, either in what I am was wearing or riding. One of my very favorite boards is one the ugliest things I have ever put on my feet, but it rides sooooooo nice. I am thankful that function has always ruled in clothing and boards.

I for one support stigmatizing those who think baggy pants are stylish.

Go ahead and flame me because I wear the most functional clothing for me for the job at hand, totally disregarding what anyone thinks I should wear. I turn heads whenever I ride. Most people can't believe someone so big can ride like that. I am reasonably good. I am thankful to God that I have changed with the equipment and that the equipment continues to change and evolve. Peace out. :freak3:

Do these close out pants make my butt look big?

4367885789_e9499cdbcc_o.jpg

I'm worried about what others may think:rolleyes:

Hey man you're doing it all wrong. You going backwards, with ski poles and you don't look baggy, or dirty or weird enough!! What up?

As someone who has been riding for 25 years and has fought to even get snowboarding allowed on the hills in the early days, I enjoy that snowboarding has stayed close to its roots of soft boots and baggy clothing. Ever since its early days, snowboarding has always been about style, whether its in your riding or what you are wearing.

Ha ha ha ha. Too funny. Baggy pants may be why you like snowboarding, but I like snowboarding because of the "snowboarding" part. And the "snowboarding with friends" part, too.

I for one support stigmatizing those that chose to look like a skier in Bx.

Cliquey high school girls and Jordache jeans. Whatever. There are more important things to worry about, like having fun.