SBX Clothing and other nonsense.

Xpedite

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, the Olympic dress from the Americans is made by Burton (and it is Goretex ...). I don´t think you can buy it, but Burton had Goretex jeans in their line one and/or two years ago ...

What board is Nate Holland on? It looks rather "classical" shapewise ... not like the other newschool boards. So many Oxess this time ...

The US Teams 'denim' pants and flannel jackets were designed by Jake Burton. He chose something he felt was very 'American'. In a recent interview I just read with him he said that he had no plans to make the 'Team issue' clothing available for retail sale. That is not to say that the denim look won't show up in next years product line, but according to Jake himself you will not be able to buy Team USA's clothing in any retail form.

And what a great final in Bx! I was on the edge of my seat that race...and the semi-finals as well. Too bad for Nate though. My heart goes out to him.

Obviously, baggy or tight pants will not win someone a SBX.

What?! Are you... being facetious? Or did you just miss the entire point of that article?

Tight pants will win someone a SBX, all other things being equal. A speed suit will make you faster on the course, period.

The point is that Holland wants boarders to wear baggy pants in spite of this.

greg

Arctyrex??? I think anyone wearing that looks like some gay stuck up hippie yuppie (combo)skier form boulder (no offense)

I didnt think they US uni was great, but if i had to choose between that and the yuppiform....

what? because it's actually decent outerwear?

that's the biggest issue with most snowboards specific brands right now they spend more time looking for weave that look like wool or denim than they do for performance. so, most of the offerings of major snowboard specific brands are over priced garbage.

I hate it but that's the way it is, all the brands that you're safe pulling just about anything they make off the rack to put through real all weather use probably all make your yuppie qualification.

What?! Are you... being facetious? Or did you just miss the entire point of that article?

Tight pants will win someone a SBX, all other things being equal. A speed suit will make you faster on the course, period.

The point is that Holland wants boarders to wear baggy pants in spite of this.

greg

right, because he's got the park rat superiority complex the exact opposite of what most people here have.

IMO, anyone that wants to be anti-progression in their said sport is probably a dick unless it's a sport that's based on specific rules like football or badminton or some other lame point game.

kinda sounded to me like he was trying to set up a excuse for doing badly but if he did well he could say he's core. bitch move if you ask me.

You have the same thing in downhill bike racing. Fortunately, speed suits are illegal per rules, and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar for boardercross. It's not just a fashion thing. Speedsuits are an extra expense, are a strictly racing item, and aren't exactly comfortable; this is before you add in the fact they just don't look good. The problem is that once someone starts wearing them, the added edge will force other competators to start wearing them as well. If you can keep that from happening, like we have in downhill, then you can be more comfortable, warmer, and have a little extra in your pocket, and the racing will still be on a level field.

Frankly, I think "progressing" the sport by going to speedsuits sucks. Progress the sports by developing boards, bindings, boots, and technique.

Arctyrex??? I think anyone wearing that looks like some gay stuck up hippie yuppie (combo)skier form boulder (no offense)

I didnt think they US uni was great, but if i had to choose between that and the yuppiform....

you need to get out of Boulder more. Arcteryx makes good ****. I bet you don't wear North Face or Patagonia for the same reason. Too waterproof, functional and.....well you get the idea.

I loved the article. Nate is a bit like that. Obviously, baggy or tight pants will not win someone a SBX. Thank you, Rob.

baggy or tight alone won't get you to the Olympics but I guarantee you it will make a difference if both riders are riding at the same level. I have poked myself into a speed suit and the difference is astounding in the acceleration, especially in the flatter and fastest parts of a race course. While the Canucks aren't in skin tight, there is bound to be some difference.

So wait... Riders can put $1500 - $1800 into a board, apply $300 in wax for a single race (which is applied by a wax tech, NOT the rider), get custom boots/bindings, etc. etc. but they are gonna complain about someone making a fundamental and obvious improvement to their outerwear :eek:

I'm sorry, but that is just being arrogant and/or retarded... Eliminating aero drag is a fundamental point of ALL RACING... Cycling, skiing, sliding sports, skating, etc... In a sport where advancing can be decided by an inch or two, why not give every advantage you can get? If you want freestyle, go over and start doing spins and butters in the park... Over there, your outerwear has little effect on your performance... Here, you are obviously trying to gain every tenth of a second you can... With the amount of R&D that goes into their gear, I think that this is totally hypocritical...

I wonder what would happen if someone showed up with a 2 piece slalom ski suit? Per the rule that was posted somewhere here on Bomber, this would be legal since it's 2 piece... Yea, it would piss someone off, but too bad... There is one goal here and that is to make it to the bottom of the mountain...

So wait...

If it's generally agreed upon not to do it, then there's no issue with it. Even if it's not an official rule, if you think about it, it's no more arbitrary than saying "you have to use a snowboard instead of skis" since skis are generally faster down a course? Additionally, what's to be gained by going to skin suites? If everyone does it, then the times drop equally across the board, and you're right back to where you started, except now you're wearing a skin tight racing suite.

As I said before, aero clothing is illegal in downhill racing, and everyone is quite happy with it.

I wonder what would happen if someone showed up with a 2 piece slalom ski suit? Per the rule that was posted somewhere here on Bomber, this would be legal since it's 2 piece... Yea, it would piss someone off, but too bad... There is one goal here and that is to make it to the bottom of the mountain...
If it's generally agreed upon not to do it, then there's no issue with it. Even if it's not an official rule, if you think about it, it's no more arbitrary than saying "you have to use a snowboard instead of skis" since skis are generally faster down a course? Additionally, what's to be gained by going to skin suites? If everyone does it, then the times drop equally across the board, and you're right back to where you started, except now you're wearing a skin tight racing suite. .

It is an official rule - and a two-piece skin tight suit would not be allowed.

2705.6 Competition Clothing.

SBX competition suits must be two piece – pants and separate top. Form

fitting speed or downhill suites are not permitted. Non protruding body protection

and padding is recommended. Protective equipment i.e. back protection

must be worn on the body. No straps, fastening devices or other

methods can be used to tighten the suit material closer to the body

So Holland's protest may have been valid...but I agree with BobDea that it was kinda bitchy

If it's generally agreed upon not to do it, then there's no issue with it. Even if it's not an official rule, if you think about it, it's no more arbitrary than saying "you have to use a snowboard instead of skis" since skis are generally faster down a course? Additionally, what's to be gained by going to skin suites? If everyone does it, then the times drop equally across the board, and you're right back to where you started, except now you're wearing a skin tight racing suite.

Good point, but do they have a rule for how baggy your clothing has to be? Because I'd be wearing the tightest threads I could. Speed suits would eliminate any clothing bagginess argument/judgment.

I thought about what I wrote and I was being a little sarcastic.

Obviously, baggy or tight pants will not win someone a SBX

Those last two Olympic finals that Wescott were in were so close at the end, reduced air drag on the pants could actually make a difference. Speed suits may be a little overkill for SBX. Theres got to be some middle ground there and not make the pants and top too baggy.

Speed suits are an extra expense, are a strictly racing item, and aren't exactly comfortable; this is before you add in the fact they just don't look good.

Speed suits are not terribly expensive, and provide a pretty good bang for the buck. I'm sure that for some would-be future champions, eating regularly might be considered an extra expense.

Speed suits are widely used in daily training by skiers for Slalom and GS, as well as downhill and superG.

Speed suits are available from a number of manufacturers, so you can certainly find one tailored to your physique.

While watching the women's 15k freestyle xc race the other day, just prior to the BX, I found myself thinking;

"These women are fast, athletic, skilled, and the movement over snow is really intricate and a joy to behold. The only thing missing is a flannel Pajama top, or maybe some distressed denim..."

Oh,wait a second, speed suits are associated with various forms of, GASP, skiing. The Establishment.

Can't have that...

If I am not mistaken, in the early days of BX, speed suits were ok. (This was before the moto-cross look went big). Similarly, speed suits were common on the early DH bike circuit as well.

No doubt changes were made in the name of public image. Speed suits have a way of making non-athletes look non-athletic, and that is hardly inclusive.

If everyone does it, then the times drop equally across the board, and you're right back to where you started

Not so fast, if you will pardon the obvious pun.

While a speed suit reduces drag, this reduction in drag can have the unintended consequence of magnifying mistakes. So, in a way, speed suits can make a given course even more challenging.

Frankly, I think "progressing" the sport by going to speedsuits sucks. Progress the sports by developing boards, bindings, boots, and technique.

Is it progress when BX and such are dominated by a one or two manufacturers? Isn't that just a bit NASCAResque?

It seems that competitive skiing has progressed far more than competitive snowboarding in the past 20 years. Stuffy image notwithstanding.