SBX Clothing and other nonsense.

Xpedite

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think at the kryptons are the old Burton molds. I thought that the Austrian company UPS now renamed to UPZ had bought the boot molds from Burton years ago. Or maybe that was the case for the Heads boots, I don't recall.

krypton boards were o2, krypton boots are dalbello.

MGX were UPS, later burtons look like oxygens

don't talk to me about being open. you are the one who said you are not changing. I rode softies 2 weeks ago, when was the last time you rode hardboots?

You can look back in this forum to see when the last time I rode hard boots was because I sold my hard boot gear on this website, but I rode that gear for 3 years before I switched back to soft boots. And not just a couple days in those 3 years, but the majority of the time I was riding was in hard boot gear. Not that it really matters because I don't need your 'cred' or approval' to justify ability or riding choice to you or anyone but it sure seems to be a requirement here. Again I ask...why the need for an elitist attitude? What about that attitude makes you feel like a better person?

I wonder if part of the reason so many people here have so much expensive gear is because they are riding boards not designed to be ridden the way they are being ridden. Race boards are not designed to be laid out low to the snow. Sure they may be able to do it but a race board is designed to be ridden flat and to track strait when ever possible (and yes, there are many other factors that go in to a race board, I know, but the point is they are not designed to do euro carves). A flat board is what gives a racer his speed, not being on edge and not laying deep carves (which only takes away speed). Watch a racer make a turn in a speed event, they will try to stay as upright as possible and get back to as flat a board as possible. Ride a board designed to be ridden for fun and making big sweeping carves and you may find you don't need a $10,000 quiver of boards.

The reality is that this is probably the best site I have ever seen for snowboarding of any kind. The amount and quality of information here is incredible. I am 37 now. I started boarding at 14. People that are my age and boarding are beginning to shy away from park and pipe riding and turning more and more to carving. Their bodies can not take it anymore and responsibility changes a person. As these pioneers of snowboarding age they are going to be looking for gear that accommodates their new style of riding. I don't think it is any coincidence that you are seeing companies like Donek and F2 making a line of boards specific to soft boot carves. They clearly are seeing a market demand or else they would not bother putting in the time and effort to create this product line and I will predict that in the next decade you will see the Burtons and K2s of the world going back to making soft boot carvers for the aging population of boarders that still want to ride. Most snowboarders hate the idea of hard boots and most are not going to switch over to hard boots as they age. That is just reality. The point of this is that you are going to find more and more soft booters finding this site as time goes on due to the points listed above. They are not going away and most are not changing from their soft boot ways. A great site has been built here but with anything sometimes what we envision and what it turns in to are two different things. Two things can destroy a great community web site: 1 - all or nothing views which divide and alienate the community and 2 - a single pissed off individual with a little computer knowledge that SPAMS the hell out of the web site. It would be sad if one of those outcomes befell Bomber because a few individuals were more concerned about elitism and hatred instead welcoming those that discovered the joys of carving and want to grow and know more.

oh, I didn't even realize Oxygen ever had a line of hardboots. They very well may have been Burtons. I've heard that the molds for just one shell size of boots cost around $20,000, so it's no wonder they don't change much over time, and get sold when a company is done with them.

I think Oxygen already quit making boots before Burton quitted.

why the need for an elitist attitude?

You've got to be kidding me. In your very first post in this thread you wrote "I used to have a hard boot set up and I sold it. Why? It killed me to stray so far from what snowboarding is."

So you come to a hardboot forum, make the outrageously elitist claim that hardbooting "strays from what snowboarding is", and then go on to call the hardbooters elitists? Pot-kettle-black much?

Hardbooters as a group are far more accepting of softbooters than you seem to be of hardbooters. Hell, there have been several threads on this forum the past few days in praise of the SBXers! And no claims that softbooters aren't "real" snowboarders.

Your flaw was that you took the negative reactions to your first post as some sort of categorical slam against softbooters. It was no such thing, and you'll find very little if any of that attitude here. It was a slam against you being a jackass. Nothing more.

And your little lecture a few posts ago about the proper use of race boards - sorry, but you simply don't know what you're talking about. PGS racers get way up on edge, and if you had bothered to watch a PGS race in the past few years you'd know that.

As a fan (not as a recreational rider who doesn't care what people think of my own clothes)I thought the USA suits looked just awful on the girls.Not just because of the sloppy,fake grunge ghetto look,(so overdone by the Gap in the 90's)but because the suits made it hard to see or appreciate the athleticism of the maneuvers.The incredibly bad looking 'I wanna be just like the boys' uniforms covered up anything that might have looked like power or finesse or grace of movement.Add that to the very small amplitude compared to the men, and their runs were lost in wearable tents that looked like big bro's hand me down Carharts.Just awful.

I love watching the boardercross/ski cross events. Sure, they'd be faster if they wore spandex but they are racing each other not the clock.

As for elitism, I switched to hardboots for control. When I rode, I rode on freeride boards. So I never was a "carver", per se, and I never felt castigated either, although I've never ridden with anyone here.

As for gathering $10,000 quivers, I don't think it has anything to do with misusing race boards and being unsatisfied with the result. I think it has everything to do with every enthusiasts fascination with "new and shiny". If you choke at a $10K quiver, you'd really be floored with what an amateur astronomer will drop on a new telescope. I've wanted a hydrogen alpha scope for a while-can't seem to pony up $2K for a scope with a 6 cm aperture. We won't even talk about a 14 inch SCT....

Never much cared for Burton outerwear, whether it looked like jeans or not. To me, there's a 500% markup for a name

Just my $0.02....

You can look back in this forum to see when the last time I rode hard boots was because I sold my hard boot gear on this website,

yeah, I'll get right on that.

Again I ask...why the need for an elitist attitude? What about that attitude makes you feel like a better person?

How many times do I have to spell this out? You're the one who started in this thread with the anti-alpine snobbery. I and others just spoke up in defense. There's no elitism, we welcome softbooters here, but we are tired of the ones who seem to only be here to assert an agenda and insist that softboots are just as good for carving when it is simply a fact that they are not. It's not elitist to state a fact like a Ferrari is a better sports car than a WRX.

I wonder if part of the reason so many people here have so much expensive gear is because they are riding boards not designed to be ridden the way they are being ridden. Race boards are not designed to be laid out low to the snow. Sure they may be able to do it but a race board is designed to be ridden flat

anderson_2D00_jaseyjay_5F00_392_5B00_1_5D00_.jpg

I love softballs.

Two things can destroy a great community web site: 1 - all or nothing views which divide and alienate the community and 2 - a single pissed off individual with a little computer knowledge that SPAMS the hell out of the web site. It would be sad if one of those outcomes befell Bomber because a few individuals were more concerned about elitism and hatred instead welcoming those that discovered the joys of carving and want to grow and know more.

You have just documented yourself as threatening us with a Denial of Service attack. You are now banned.

Anyway...

You'll likely see some mods to the FIS rulebook about what is and isn't allowed, clothing-wise, in an SBX race. Leave a grey area and someone will colour it in.

I hope they do leave it as "regular" clothing. In MTB downhill, only the World Championships allowed riders to wear skinsuits. The rest of the WC tour was in more "moto" gear (albeit fairly form fitting). Since then, we had the first World Champs where skinsuits were banned and it was the same, usual suspects on the podium. Certainly, there is not a large increase in speed that makes courses more technical, MTB or SB... We're talking about 10ths of seconds over minutes and not something where you'd exclaim "Holy ****! I've never gone this fast before!"

In MTB, like SB, this was done from a marketing outlook, not out of an "expense for racers" concern. I don't think anyone would argue that both sports look a little more "normal" and "cool" when done in gear closer to streetwear. Love the picture of Jasey... His pants are looser that Adam's were in the SBX final.

A funny story about this: Cedric Gracia once podiumed a WC in Scotland in his jeans and a hoodie because the airline lost his luggage. (MTB)

Orrechio: Looking for trouble. I love it! If everyone on here had the same opinion, it would be boring. Look at the threads where someone is preaching to the converted... 0 responses. ****fight? Multiple pages. As long as no one is threatened (personally or computorially [ationally?]) than no biggie, IMO.

...with another person's view on the clothes of SBX ;-)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ski/detail?entry_id=57592

I am a crusty old fart too.By the jist of the comments responding to the editorial,I am in the extreme minority with my opinion of the fake grunge look,but I still think it was just plain ugly,especially on the 'tomboys'.

However,that means the mission of the clothing was accomplished.If a guy of my age, with my taste liked it,it would have been a failure.

Saw no fewer than 4 people wearing jeans and plaid shirts on hill this weekend. Judging by the CF shin guards on some of the ski racers, they were neither yetis, nor did they have cash flow issues... bunch of steeeezy park riders too. A number of people remarked about how many people were out in jeans and assumed they were all rental-mentals.

like it or not, the clone effect is in full effect.

i will stick to my old, curmudgeoney, arcteryx for the time being.... i only get out the kenora tux for weddings.

and the 16 y.o. girls going beatlemania mental recalling shawn whites run, or smile, or medal acceptance, or shot on the big screen at the top of the pipe also provided endless chair humour.

krypton boards were o2, krypton boots are dalbello.

MGX were UPS, later burtons look like oxygens

no, not at all. there was a oxygen krypton boot. it's not a burton boot. this is the spectrum model. the krypton was a little different but still was nothing like any burton I've seen.

3n83p53lc5O15Tf5Rda2bb0a49b59da5c1359.jpg

3n43pc3lb5T45P95R9a2b0ee0a1d76e73156b.jpg