Note to New Members ×

Equipment Cost

GeoffV

I was doing some work on my boots last night and was thinking about the costs of my setup.

Lets just say my reaction was this :eek:

• Boots = $600
  • Fintecs = $130
  • TD3 = $350
  • BTS = $100
  • Boosterstrap = $30
  • Custom Footbeds = $185
  • Dalbello Gold Liners = $275

Total $1,670 and this is just the damn boots:angryfire

Toss a board in and your looking at $2,500+ for a none racing setup.

Add a Kessler an Vist plate and you can add another grand to the list.

I am only thinking about the endless fun I have from my equipment :biggthump Never made this calculation before because I could have owned a second home already instead of all my sports equipment I have bought through the years (automobileracinggear, sailingboats, windsurfgear, golfgear, skigear, snowboardgear and so on).

Never try and put a price on your outdoor recreation time. Life is short and we all need an outlet to maintain our health and sanity.

In addition to snowboarding I snowshoe, backpack, whitewater kayak, sea kayak, trail run, mountain bike, and a few other more occasional things like rock climbing.

Sure a carving setup is not cheap, but what is the value of doing perfect screaming arcs down the mountain side? :biggthump

I was doing some work on my boots last night and was thinking about the costs of my setup.

• Boots = $600
  • Fintecs = $130
  • TD3 = $350
  • BTS = $100
  • Custom Footbeds = $185

Total $1,640 and this is just the damn boots:angryfire

Toss a board in and your looking at $2,500 for a none racing setup.

How much was the 675? :eplus2:

How much was the 675? :eplus2:

Ouch yeah, Tex I do not want to go down that path. My wife will kill me

Lets see

Bike

Leathers

Helmet

boots

gloves

track days

new tires

My house would be paid off by now but I'd be a fat whacked out fool if I didn't have my share of adrenaline rushes on a consistent bases.

Rock climbing was another sport I did pre kids that racked up some $$$ as well.

My boots cost me a fortune too this year!

But they fit perfectly and do the job excelent!

1)Almost new burton shadows(worn 2 times)= cost me 1euro (1,4$)from e-bay!

2)Liners from my Oxygen kryptons (which are higher and stiffer then the burtons and have laces on them and extra strap)= free

2)Orthopedic foot beds=40 euros but i didn't pay for them because i got them with subscription and are covered by my insurance!

I don't need Fin-Tecs because i use my new fritschi bindings witch i also bought from e-bay for the outrageous price of 9,99euros!

So i spent the outrageous amount of 1,4$ on boots this year and my friend that spent 500 on his deeluxes ain't going any faster than me or making better carves than me!

If you think this is expensive you don't want to get into rafting.

Raft ( new cost is $5K ) - I need a replacement floor at $1,200 right now.

Oars - $175 each. Need four.

Life jackets $80 to $150 four plus a spare.

Frame $600 on up

Dry boxes $250 to $600 - I have four.

Dry bags for clothes 4 at $75 each.

Cooler $150

Firepan $250

Groover (portable bathroom setup) $200

Waterproof camera case $200

Trailer to haul all the **** $1k.

Memories of time well spent with my kids = Priceless.

post-805-14184230258_thumb.jpg

post-805-141842302583_thumb.jpg

post-805-141842302585_thumb.jpg

Boots new without liners. $35.00

Thermaflex liners new. 10.00

Intec bindings and heels new. 90.00

Board I use 90% of time new. 150.00 (most expensive I've had $235)

Total. $285.00

Season pass this year. $540.00

Gas to and from hill $10/2

Prius. 5.00

Food at hill. 0.00

It can certainly be done on the cheap and I wouldn't trade anything I have for any other piece of gear. You have to be able to spend some time looking, create your own deals and be lucky.

Carvedog, nice setup there.

Shoot, I'm in the market for a USED lund fishing boat and that'll be ~6000. And, while catching a limit of walleye on a picture perfect summer day out in the middle of lake erie is fun, it still doesnt compare to laying it out on a snowy, icy day on a blue run and still putting down some perfect carves...

:1luvu:

Carvedog, nice setup there.

Shoot, I'm in the market for a USED lund fishing boat and that'll be ~6000. And, while catching a limit of walleye on a picture perfect summer day out in the middle of lake erie is fun, it still doesnt compare to laying it out on a snowy, icy day on a blue run and still putting down some perfect carves...

:1luvu:

Thanks Hotbeans. I guess I didn't even get a pic that shows the whole thing in there. It's a 16 foot Maravia Williwaw 2.

I sure am glad my girls love to raft. The little one the other day was saying how much she wanted to go boating. When I told her the river is frozen right now. Long pause, longer sigh. Slow, deflated " Yeaaahhh." She's got the bug.

The adrenaline doesn't compare with pulling Gs, but I just got invited on a May 26 Selway. Big water even on an off year. It's a different kind of adrenaline in that I never feel totally in control in a big rapid. I do to a point but there is always something that kicks you around a bit.

On my board I have these crystal clear moments of carving bliss, where I feel like Gods' own carving instrument and can do wrong.

It's all good. Sorry for the OT threadjack.

• Boots = $600
  • Fintecs = $130
  • TD3 = $350
  • BTS = $100
  • Boosterstrap = $30
  • Custom Footbeds = $185

Total $1,670 and this is just the damn boots:angryfire

Toss a board in and your looking at $2,500+ for a none racing setup.

That's actually $1190 for just the boots, as I consider the Fintecs and TD3s to be the binding system. You've also quoted full retail for the most expensive set up you can concoct.

Consider that a pair of high-end ski boots will set you back $800 before custom footbeds or liners or other add-on baubles.

I would have to agree that alpine snowboarding is not a cheap enterprise. I am thinking of bailing out of it because of the cost of the gear. It is not easy to find used boots either as they are in high demand and there is a short supply of them. My boots are starting to get to the worn out stage and I don't think I want to spend the money on a new pair. Maybe I will buy another pair when these are worn out? I guess if I have to worry about the price of the boots I should not buy them. Not a problem.I am just spending more time thinking about how I spend money as I need to make changes so that I might get myself into a better postion someday.

At least you guys do you equipment justice.

Not like me spent big $ on board+binding+boots

but a $0.02 rider lol.

Sometime I questiton myself why I suffer the hardboot + the drain in my wallet just to have my buddy tell me that I ride it like regular snowboard lol.

but on those rare day where I was able to carved some turn it make a big grin on my face.

--

David

At least you guys do you equipment justice.

Not like me spent big $ on board+binding+boots

but a $0.02 rider lol.

Sometime I questiton myself why I suffer the hardboot + the drain in my wallet just to have my buddy tell me that I ride it like regular snowboard lol.

but on those rare day where I was able to carved some turn it make a big grin on my face.

--

David

Hey pow - next year make your trip to Jackson coincide with SkES - the great clinics and all the awesome riders will get you dialed in, in no time flat! ;)

Nah - you did the right thing going to the Village. If you have the coin and the time to come to Jackson, you gotta ride the big one! Hope you and your expensive gear had fun here - thats what it's about! :biggthump

Hey pow - next year make your trip to Jackson coincide with SkES - the great clinics and all the awesome riders will get you dialed in, in no time flat! ;)

Nah - you did the right thing going to the Village. If you have the coin and the time to come to Jackson, you gotta ride the big one! Hope you and your expensive gear had fun here - thats what it's about! :biggthump

2_Ravens:

SK should make you an ambassador!!!

2011 SkES or bust!!! I went to WY 3 time in the past 4 years. Every time I stay at the king and only ski it twice in the night time.

Due to the great report from SkES I will have to change that lol. It just look like so much fun. Any tip/pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Carving gear never made it to Jackson. Just started hardbooting last year. JH scare me too much to bring unfaimilar gear. me==chicken.

Best Regards

--

David

Never try and put a price on your outdoor recreation time. Life is short and we all need an outlet to maintain our health and sanity.

+1. Then again, I skydive, and spent $6000 on gear plus more on training. In terms of 'joy received for dollars spent', carving seems to me an outstanding value. I guess it helps that I really like carving :D