Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

Thanks Sean.

Having checked out your photos, it seems the real question now is - who was NOT on plates...

To my layman's eye, it looks like the Tinkler plate has a "base" (i.e., under the plate) similar to Hangl.

I think if you go back several weeks, you'll find another photo of that or a similar plate. It does use hangl hardware.

I really don't meanto offend, but what's the point?

it's like putting z-rated tires on an AMC Pacer - might look nice, but is there any benefit to cutting edge tech paired with 10+ year old board & bindings?

Tex, you missed this

No there are 3 sets of holes. We only pressed in the ones we needed and left the others empty. The plate worked great on a Burner also. Slow speed handling is much better on the Burner than on the new decks. Sean spent some time on a softy set with a plate and Catek Freerides and was ripping it up. Plate on Old Glass Deck=:1luvu:

Think Snow!

dont worry im not offended

its like putting Hotchkis/Currie suspension on your old skool Camaro/Mustang..... is it wrong? hummm......nopers!

my Burners are my riding type.

Ive have td2 and catek os1 but my ratraps are the best bindings I like. Low and semi stiff.(not stiff as cateks/td and not soft as burtons race plates)

snowboarding has alot of configuration then skiing. Stance width, angles, canting and now the plates. To each is there own.

Also having odd/rare looking setup makes you center of attraction, many times in lift lines i have people asking what im riding.

Just came back from the first test day on my home made plate. Wonderfull! Smooth! Powerfull! Fast!

Yes, I did feel that I possibly could widen the stance just a bit. Yes, the board did feel a bit "softer" then without plate. Yes, centered style worked the best, even a bit of back seat, maybe.

It is a bit of bear to handle at low speeds, but I guess, it wasn't invented for that. Also a bit more work to get the board on edge, but once there, woo-hooo!

Maybe one word of warning would be in place: plate is not a cure for your mistakes. Actually, it can make the things worse when you really screw up. I went full speed over a knoll, in a close to fully laid toe side, didn't amortize properly and lost the edge. As my CM was already lower then the propper technique calls for, there was no way to recover - I slid and bounced down the steep pitch, with the board violently engaging and disengaging. The weight of the system and edge setting power made this bouncing/skipping very hard, to the point that I compressed my neck a bit and shins got a bit of beating too.

Later I switched to a smaller Kessler, without plate. Oh, boy, did it feel bouncy after the plated big gun! Last run of the day I did on the plate again, just to confirm my earlier findings. Did I say smooth already?

Next test, I'll have to do with 2x 185s Kesslers, one plated, one TD3s only.

post-1678-141842326611_thumb.jpg

Old and "new"-

I've been reading through this and just have a few random comments with no agenda :rolleyes:

I had an old 24/7 with the full plate. That thing was a hefty beast, and that plate felt great. It was a very smooth and stable ride. The weight itself took very little getting used to as once that thing was on the snow the torsional stiffness really helped pull it over edge to edge.

The Kessler I picked up is so much lighter then my old glass Coiler (my gold standard) I imagine even with a plate it will fall into my "neutral" weight category.

I rode with a Conshox for a bit- I found it pretty well useless on GS boards. It was pretty darn short an didn't seem to do much for me for damping the ride or acting as a flex modifier. I can see how a short isolation plate would help, but for a direct mount plate I think there needs to be more extension. I cut up a wood core deck some time ago in a similar shape but much bigger to use on 162+ decks. I may mount that to a rock board to see if it does anything other then add stiffness. Other folks seemed to like the conshox, but I didn't really notice any change to the behavior or feel to the 3-4 decks I mounted it on (all 185 gs type sticks).

Just food for the discussion.

Eric. Allot is going to be going on when you get back on the Kessler. Shape, camber changes, not to mention a very fine mix of materials by the premier board builder. I would ride it without, then with your new plate. I think you will find it turns easy and rides very damp and stable.

Weight is a huge factor. Me? I welcome it. In itself it helps dampen via mass. There is a substantial difference between the plates we have been riding for many years now and those with space between the board and plates (with pivots)

My guess is you will have a few runs of WTF and then it will all fall into place and be amazing. Also consider your snow surface conditions.

Take it easy and don't get cocky the first day back ok? Enjoy. Hope to get to ride with you again soon.

For those who are newer to BOMBER or forget (as am do). Allow me to catch you up with our riding friend "Mr E". Eric is a long time alpine rider, much the experimenter and shape thinker. He is a professional bike frame builder with his own business in Eugene Oregon. Moved around allot the past ten years. He was the founder and promoter of the first Mt Hood "Big Carve" session. It was there , that Mike T took over the session promotion and organization and it became "Oregon Expression Session" and moved to Mt Bachelor, Oregon.

I am particularly thrilled to see Eric getting the new plate which will carry the name he coined. It is hopefully the ignition point that sets him on fire again.

We all benefit when guys like Eric are involved.

(PS, the coiler Headhunter 200c was Eric's design) He is one clever dude :eplus2::biggthump

To kind, Bryan. I fell of the technology wagon right when it started to trickle down to the masses price wise! I was teaching snowboarding but there seemed no point to riding a world cup level board when teaching HS kids how to link turns. Injury kept me off the hill for about 3 years, and I am stoked to get back on it with some of the gear I've been dreaming over. I'm excited to see what this stuff can do for bum knees and weak legs:biggthump

PS- Cocky? Me? Never...

Today, the plate ended up on my old beefy (semi retired) Generics 170. For a good measure I also brought a WCRM 173 with TD3s only, to have 2 boards of similar spec.

Due to a specific insert pattern on Generics, the only way I could mount the plate was with the axles just inside of the centerlines of the bindings. On the morning's hero snow, I didn't notice anything negative witht his setup. Later when the things bumped up a bit, I think I could feel a bit of "teter-toter" effect that someone mentioned earlier...

Plates definitelly gives a new aspect and quality to the old glass boards, too. While my legs were fresh, it was almost more fun then the titanal board. The hooky and poppy tail worked very well in the combo with the smoothness of the plate, for freecarving!

Later I switched few times back and forth, from plated to platless board, on various pitches, to try to make some conclusions. It is not a completelly fair test, as one is a new schoolish, super light board, and other a heavy tank. Yet, the specs are reasonably simillar. Results are a bit indecisive... While the old plated board was a smoother and more powerfull ride, while messing the stance less, the light plateless board was more playfull and, I dare to say, easier to ride, in the terms of edge changes.

On Tuesday, I'll probably have a chance to do two identical Kesslers 185, with and without plate. Stay tuned.

Do you have more info on Sigi's plates, how it works, price ....?

I can make photos,

initial price is 1000 euro, but many discounts possible. here big smile to fin.

there are 3 different plates for different weight.

I have seen plate mounted to 4-hole pattern additionally there were bumper made of gum on front. Sigi explained that it was for pure snow condition. Plates also move both vertical and a little horizontal position. I will make some photos and send it to you...

kubagos,

gdzie Ty tak wogole jezdzisz? Z ciekawosci sie pytam.

Widze, ze nasz V RT. Tak sie zastanawiam, czy ktos w koncu w Tatry

alpine przyniesie.

Pozdrawiam.

Może, strasznie niszowo jest, pozatym pełno na stokach ludzi. Głównie z f2dawidekteam oraz z kadrą głownie kitsteinhorn + lokalnie białka tatrz.

miło spotkac rodaka.

Cheers.

I tried the plate on the Virus Vampire today. Put aside few "plate-outs" (to narrow board), I still managed to confirm some findings of previous posters.

Vamp is softer then big Kessler, or the old glass board I used for testing so far, so I noticed, for the first time, the nose overload that plate can cause. Practically every time I went to the forward loaded stance, the nose bent too much. I didn't bother to move the plate slightly back, to avoid the loss of snow time...