Note to New Members ×

Ten best cars for a blizzard

Allee

Well timed, as most of Canada seems to be under snow this week.

http://autos.sympatico.ca/photos-videos/2134/top-10-best-cars-for-a-blizzard/1

(My baby Suzuki makes the list! Squee!! )

Please feel free to add your own ...

One can only hope that the average Gallardo driver would fare better than this guy :

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/only-in-toronto-he-had-to-take-his-ferrari-out-in-the-first-snow/

I have a buddy who has the Wrangler Unlimited, #5 on that list. It's OK for a blizzard as long as you don't have any rear-seat passengers - no heat to the back, and the whole thing is kind of drafty. Unlikely to get stuck, but you'll be uncomfortable.

I have to say I'm feeling pretty unstoppable in my VW R32 right now. The combination of AWD, ESP and a good set of winter boots is making me kind of cocky on the snow and ice.

I actually love my Ford Explorer '93 vintage with manual locking hubs.

I have pulled more cars out of the ditch than I can recall. Chained up on the front the day we had a 33 inch snowfall, I pulled out about 10 cars that night alone.

Getting wood this fall I drove up the pass, two miles down the dirt ( snow covered ) pushing snow all the way to find my stash intact.

Long enough to sleep in. Big enough for two and the dog. And I have pulled 4K lbs with it.

That's my baby. Can you tell I love my car.

We have a Forester that has never let us down, it has 8 1/8 inches of clearance you know ( my gf will tell you that and it's blue if you ask her anything about the car).

Two weekends ago I pulled a trailer through the blizzard in Calgary with my FJ Cruiser, didn't even have to lock the diffs or the transfer case (it has a weird FTAWD thing) I have to say it is a very capable ride.

All I have to says is that it's all in the TIRES.

My car made it to the top of that list, but it's never going to see the snow, not with Dunlop Sport SP600 summer radials (stock/standard on the car) that are meant for temperatures above 40F (that also goes for the stupid Lamborghini that made it on the list - Porsche 997 Turbo should be there instead, it has AWD and comes with Continental extreme contacts stock, Germany is a cold place with snow, unlike Italy).

AWD is only good for accelerating/moving forward. it does nothing for you when you're braking or turning - you need a good set of all-weathers (light snow), winter performance or all terrains on a truck (medium snow), or full on snow tires with studs (heavy snow) if you want to get anywhere.

+1 on tires making a big difference but I gotta disagree with a couple of Bullwing's details.

-I found studs good on icy roads but not as much in deep snow. In deep snow, I've never felt like studs offered an advantage over a similar but studess tire. And studless snow tires are more friendly when it's not snowy/icy out.

-With regards to AWD and braking and turning, I would say that AWD definitely changes what happens when you are recovering from a skid. My Outback seems to recover from a skid almost on its own, and in a different and easier way that FWD cars I've owned such as my old Saturn and Maxima. Although those FWD cars were easier to manage in a skid than my old Durango with the 4WD engaged... but then again that was 10/90 F/R and always behaved like RWD at any speed above 15mph.

I love my WRX. I can't imagine what it would be like with true snow tires!

Does it not snow in ABQ? When I had my WRX I it was soooooo fun in the snow with snows on. Especially the day after a storm when the roads were snowpacked... it would go sideways forever. Really fun car to steer with the gas pedal.

I had an 07 GTI MKV with Revo 1s on it and it was awesome. The only problem I ever had with it was it had next to no clearance and I got high-centered once. Had to do a bunch of digging with odd things to get it back on the pavement, then I went a bought a shovel. I got tired of driving it in those kinds of conditions, that's why I changed to the FJ Cruiser. I got the Trail Teams edition that came with BF Goodrich KOs. They are very impressive for everything I have done with them so far. They make lots of noise when you do four wheel drifts on pavement though.

Well timed, as most of Canada seems to be under snow this week.

http://autos.sympatico.ca/photos-videos/2134/top-10-best-cars-for-a-blizzard/1

(My baby Suzuki makes the list! Squee!! )

Please feel free to add your own ...

One can only hope that the average Gallardo driver would fare better than this guy :

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/only-in-toronto-he-had-to-take-his-ferrari-out-in-the-first-snow/

I drove a friends Suzuki SX4 last season and it was solid. Reminded me of a Mini Cooper. But I like the room of my Silverado Z71.

• 3 weeks later...

Any front wheel drive or all wheel drive car that has normal ground clearance and good snow tires, but you also have to drive intelligently. As Bullwings said, all wheel drive is good when starting to move (or maybe when turning, I never drove one) but for braking, all cars have all wheel brakes!

I'm with carvedog, our '95 explorer does great, even on the nastiest days with decent clearance and a cushy hiway ride. Always premium studded snows with open tread. Auto hubs may not be as reliable as manual but not pulling over to engage is a happy thing.

anti-lock brakes w/studs has saved our butts many times on Ice glazed hills and stop signs

When the goin gets reaaly deep enough to warrant chains the old '86 toyota PU has massive clearance with huge fender wells for easy chain-up. late '80s toy ota 1/2 tons have the stiffest, toughest chassis of any mini truck ever made. IMHO

>>>>> Jeep CJ , end of story.

I have lived at 7,500 ft for 4 winters strait and watched all kinds of 4x's and SUV's get stuck, from monster 44" gumbo monster mudder rigs to old school & new school Hummers to , Mecedes, to little very good rigs like my 05 Honda CRV (( my Honda is DAM good in snow & ice, "BUT" ain't nothin gona beat a 35 rolling inches of CJ with chains.

My lil old experience / opinion

• 3 weeks later...