Note to New Members ×

Original 170 Madd?

big canuck

Include the 168 VSR in that review if you can guys!

I literally read nekdut's review word for word. Didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling so I opted for my Monster for this Coiler order. But the next one will be something shorter... :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong. The Angrry 160 is an excellent board, but my comparison was specifically to a classic Madd. Bruce mentioned he was trying to emulate that board and add some of the benefits of metal. Regarding that goal, I'm not sure the Angrry achieved that. However, on its own, its a very versatile (more so than the Madd) board, and feels like you're riding a 170+. Very stable, very forgiving, definitely variable side cut. I don't think anyone would be unhappy at all riding one of these.

I'll update my Pisssed/Furrious post after this weekend with some more impressions. :)

Include the 168 VSR in that review if you can guys!

I literally read nekdut's review word for word. Didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling so I opted for my Monster for this Coiler order. But the next one will be something shorter... :D

VSR 168 vs. Anggry: two completely different animals. BUT... the VSR 168 demo I tried this summer at Hood can make ridiculously tight turns. Now, the one I tried was built for a lighter rider than myself and surely my experience was exaggerated because of that. However, it was compelling enough so that I ordered a VSR168.

I think Bruce mentioned that overall it was supposed to be feel like a 12m sidecut. The nose is clearly a smaller number, and if you're aggressive at the beginning if the turn then WOW does it turn tight.

I'll write more when I get my VSR168... guessing a month or so.

VSR 168 vs. Anggry: two completely different animals. BUT... the VSR 168 demo I tried this summer at Hood can make ridiculously tight turns. Now, the one I tried was built for a lighter rider than myself and surely my experience was exaggerated because of that. However, it was compelling enough so that I ordered a VSR168.

I think Bruce mentioned that overall it was supposed to be feel like a 12m sidecut. The nose is clearly a smaller number, and if you're aggressive at the beginning if the turn then WOW does it turn tight.

I'll write more when I get my VSR168... guessing a month or so.

I think I need to get my hands on a VSR168 in comparison to this classic 170 that I picked up, or perhaps compared to the metal 170. That might be an interesting test.

Canada Olympic Park Dec 3 2009. We are finally getting some cold weather and the snow guns were "gunnin".

I rode an orig 158 Madd today that I had not ridden before. I knew the edges were sharp and I was excited to see how it would preform compared to the other one I have. It was sweet. Edge hold was almost too good. I had to really lean the sucka over and the edge hold would not give out. tons of pop and I was really having a ton of fun.

I had my new 160 Angrry with me (I think its actually 4 cm longer than the Madd. the Madd is likley closer to a 56) and was excited to do the "shootout" but was having such a good time on the Madd I didn't want to switch out.

I contacted Bruce about 8 months ago and asked him to build me an "Orig Madd killer", he said he was on it already.

I grabbed the Coiler and did a run. Like any, new to you, board it felt pretty foreign, I kind of expected the gods to split the clouds and deliver the "Uber board" right out of the gate. Run 2 and 3 the board spoke to me more and more. After 10 runs I was over the moon. The thing is sick. It was a bit choppy and the Metal Coiler was incredible. I don't really know how to explaain it I felt like I was using my rear foot to control the board more... Weird.

Very quiet and damp. The boards are diffrerent for sure, but both awsome. I think if it was bullet proof the Madd I was riding might have been better but The board Bruce delivered is finally what I have been looking for.

I then grabbed the Madd again (just to do the back to back to back) and I think I could make tighter turns with it but Nekdut's review was correct in the fact I think you could ride the Coiler all day where the Madd is a bit of a "launcher" (I say that in a good way though)

Thankyou Bruce, Thankyou Mike:1luvu:

You all need both of these boards.

It was a great 41st b-day. Kinda hammered' good night.

160 Angrry vs 168 VSR tomorrow !!!:biggthump

Kurt,

Awesome review. Thanks for posting this. I'll be doing the same plus the original Madd 170 test tomorrow as well.

That rear foot thing you mentioned seems familiar. I believe that was the feeling I was getting when i kinda felt the sidecuts fighting each other or something, but that was in pretty soft slush. When I rode the Angrry week before last, I didn't sense that as much and had a blast.

Nice Kurt. I'm curious how the 2007 Madd 158 you bought from me compares to the original and the Angrry 160.

Kurt bought the 58 from you? He's been buying up all the Madds lately:eek:

Now you need

58 orig

58 f3

58 TI

Coiler Angrry

It really comes down to a personal perference. I have a 58 f3 and will never sell it. I love poping around on that thing and for that reason will keep a glass board in my quiver. I don't think you can have the great qualities of a metal board with the same amount of pop as a good glass board.

K, you sound just as Madd as I am. :)

More Angrry vs classic 58 thoughts: The 58 "feels" short, it turns fast, super twitchy, very aggressive, digs in immediately, but it has crazy edge hold, like a significantly longer board. Longer drawn out turns and high speeds are very stable and feel like they shouldn't work as well as they should on something this little. So crazy but so fun at the same time. My legs were quivering at the end of each run.

The Angrry feels longer right away, like you are on a 170+ and it is so much easier and less work to ride than the 158. I can go all day on the Angrry, not on the 158. I had less of the over turning/rear foot feeling today than I had at the end of last season. This board you ride centered, unlike the forward loaded Madd. Carves release more smoothly and easily too; I got locked into carves as my legs started to give out on the Madd, not so on the Angrry. The Angrry is a very friendly and approachable short turny board. My early season legs are definitely not up to riding the classic 158 all day just yet.

The Angrry feels longer right away, like you are on a 170+ and it is so much easier and less work to ride than the 158. I can go all day on the Angrry, not on the 158. I had less of the over turning/rear foot feeling today than I had at the end of last season. This board you ride centered, unlike the forward loaded Madd. Carves release more smoothly and easily too; I got locked into carves as my legs started to give out on the Madd, not so on the Angrry. The Angrry is a very friendly and approachable short turny board. My early season legs are definitely not up to riding the classic 158 all day just yet.

Sounds good, the question is will it launch you if you want it to?

Funny how Madd's "forward loaded" camber is the exact opposite of current designs.

I only rode it a few runs, retrospectivley I should maybe have kept it... Oh well, I have the 168 VSR.

Boardski, the Madd BX board I have is a prototype and has like an 18cm waist I'll psot some pics at some point.

Jack, the Angrry is not the "launcher". It is a trade off, as Nekdut said it does ride much longer than the length would suggest and it does have decent pop but its just so much quieter and a lot less "intense" to ride overall.

It did put the biggest grin on my face though.

If I was put in the spot where I was able to keep just one I would keep the Madd. Immediatley after, I would go rob a liquor store to get funds to buy anther Angrry. If Bruce went to the proffesional golf circut and was driving Cadilacs full time into fire hydrants i'd really have to look at it more closley...

I have been through a few Coilers (longer FC, EX, AMT, and every other manufacturer for that matter) and they have all been supreme boards but I guess I have been experimenting (un be knownst to me) all these years.

I finally gathered enough first hand info and was able to convey that to Bruce to create the board that, absolutley, speaks to me. length, width, constrution, shape etc. The Angrry is OVER THE TOP. Anyone thinking about one, should get one.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou Bruce. :biggthump

So I'm not entirely sure what to make of the classic 170 just yet. It definitely has a softer nose, and you don't have to ride super forward like on the 158. It feels softer overall as well. It does seem to hold a mean edge on ice (which we had a fair bit of today), moreso than the 05 re-issues, but I don't have one to compare directly unfortunately. It definitely is a more approachable ride than the 158. It actually feels a lot like the metal 170, but I didn't do a back-to-back today. I'll give that a try tomorrow. I need some more time to figure out this thing. :)