nekdut

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Doooood, I took a wicked digga in your friggin' fjord"

she was laughing so it was all good.

Obviously East Coast

Also , one from a while back. Kid1 to Kid2 - What is that thing?

Kid2 - It's called a grooving board.

:)

Also , one from a while back. Kid1 to Kid2 - What is that thing?

Kid2 - It's called a grooving board.

:)

This reminded me of my 5 yr old daughter last weekend after following me down the bunny hill a couple of times ( me on a board and her on skis ). I was trying to get her to carve a bit so I was asking her to roll her skis up by pushing her knees to the side. She did. And was making perfect little railroad tracks and really carving following me. I told her so pointing up hill and showing her the tracks " Look you are carving just like dad."

We get to the bottom and she excitedly skis up to my wife, " Look mama I was curving like Daddy."

Works for me. :biggthump

Best one i've heard yet

"So can you do rails and boxes on that?" (from a instructor)

"No"

"Oh" [disappointment]

You'd be surprised. I've ridden boxes 50/50 loads of times. We have a small box in our ski school corral and some of the instructors play on it when we're waiting for morning line-up. The other day I was out on my 4WD with hard boots and TD2s mounted roughly 45/50 degree angles. I decided it was time for me to learn to boardslide heelside. First try I landed on my ass as I exited the box. Second try I landed on my ass hard on the box (ouch). They couldn't believe I tried a third time. Nailed it that try and earned some good respect. Since then one of the softbooter instructors has taken the 4WD out for a morning of play and loved the "longboard" feel. Another wants to take it out as soon as we have another groomer day (lots of pow this week). I also rode it switch for a few hundred yards down a fairly steep intermediate run on a cut-up powder day. That was not easy. Switch is definitely easier when you can see where you are going.

Next I need to learn rails, but they scare the crap out of me. On skis or board.

Here's a pic of me riding a box on a 210cm Super G board.

post-2424-141842306245_thumb.jpg

I've owned and been riding my own alpine setup for two weeks now and every day out brings a smile to my face. Not only carving some crazy high g's but also the great lift line experiences.

One woman: "That's a parallel board"

Her friend: "Hey is that a parallel board"

Me confused for a second: "Umm, no... Oh... this is a GS board, PGS is when they race side by side." (The Olympic PGS was coming right up.)

"Do your bindings rotate?" "No that would be a very bad idea"

Fist bump from random jibber. "Dude I need to give this alpine rider props. Sick turns."

Lifties at one lift: One runs over in the lift line and undoes my rear binding for me. Then both are asking how they can get into carving as I load the chair.

Those are just the tip of the iceberg. But it reminds me a lot of when I started riding twenty years ago, only not as many nasty comments from skiers!

i took my niece out for her first try on a board at a tiny cheap local mountain.

rental guys.."Oh dude thats what im talking about! Thats an alpine board. How much did you pay for that?" while getting her a rental board.

high school ski team kids in a big messed bunch waiting for end of year awards outside of the lodge." Look an alpine boarder! Rip it up on that board man!"

This reminded me of my 5 yr old daughter last weekend after following me down the bunny hill a couple of times ( me on a board and her on skis ). I was trying to get her to carve a bit so I was asking her to roll her skis up by pushing her knees to the side. She did. And was making perfect little railroad tracks and really carving following me. I told her so pointing up hill and showing her the tracks " Look you are carving just like dad."

We get to the bottom and she excitedly skis up to my wife, " Look mama I was curving like Daddy."

I need to get my kids carving better on skis, but I never skied so I'm clueless.

I'll try that "pushing the knees to the side" line and see if it works.

skip the skis and put them on a board! :biggthump

Starting the kids at two yrs old, we always started on skis. I board, my wife teles and I have never pushed either one to do anything but whatever they want.

My oldest is now ripping green runs very smoothly on the board ( she started at five ) and pretty much that is all she wants to do now. She does ski occasionally.

The little carver five year old also announced the other day that she is going to be a boarder too. "But I'm not going to the top of the mountain, just down here for now." Too funny.

Hope it helps Dano. Sure is fun to see them do well and have a good time regardless of equipment.

Michelle - without gloating to my wife, I am very pleased my oldest is boarding and my wife can't even believe she is doing so well. [/end of proud papa]

Today I got on the little bus that takes people to different areas of Powder Mountain.

Not addressing me at all:

Guy #1 says to #2, "have you seen those hard shell snowboard boots?"

Guy #2 "yeah, that's that high end stuff"

Guy #1 "there is this guy at Hunter Mountain that has a website and stuff. He calls himself the Carve Father and rides with a jacket that says Carve Father on it."

Guy #2 "what for?"

Guy #1 "no idea"

This one is a few years old, but I kid you not:

Riding up the lift at Powder Mountain in Utah again, a couple turns to me and says "Our son rides hardboots too. You might know of him, his name is Jack Michaud."

skip the skis and put them on a board! :biggthump

I should have!

My daughter (9) is already demanding we let her try boarding next year. My son (7) is already bored with skiing and also wants to board like mommy and daddy....

I'M SO PROUD! But also annoyed...we do yearly rentals for the kids and kids snowboarding rentals are nonexistent in the local shops.

Starting the kids at two yrs old, we always started on skis. I board, my wife teles and I have never pushed either one to do anything but whatever they want.

My oldest is now ripping green runs very smoothly on the board ( she started at five ) and pretty much that is all she wants to do now. She does ski occasionally.

The little carver five year old also announced the other day that she is going to be a boarder too. "But I'm not going to the top of the mountain, just down here for now." Too funny.

Hope it helps Dano. Sure is fun to see them do well and have a good time regardless of equipment.

Michelle - without gloating to my wife, I am very pleased my oldest is boarding and my wife can't even believe she is doing so well. [/end of proud papa]

Thanks Dog!

Carvedog, that's a great story! And your kids are so cute.... :1luvu::1luvu:

This one is a few years old, but I kid you not:

Riding up the lift at Powder Mountain in Utah again, a couple turns to me and says "Our son rides hardboots too. You might know of him, his name is Jack Michaud."

That is totally classic! How did you respond?

1) Heard in the lift line, "that's an old board because the back is sawed off"

2) Asked of me at the ski/board corral at Mt. High,

"What kind of board is that?"

"A carving board"

"Is it easy?"

"No!"

'It looked fun watching you come down"

3) Overhead as I was at my car the parking lot at Mt. High, a girl saying to a group of 3 guys,

"Hey look! It's a racing board with a soft boot setup!"

Me from the tail gate, "Thanks for knowing what it is!!"

1)

3) Overhead as I was at my car the parking lot at Mt. High, a girl saying to a group of 3 guys,

"Hey look! It's a racing board with a soft boot setup!"

Me from the tail gate, "Thanks for knowing what it is!!"

I am impressed when someone knows what's up too. Mt High is NoCal??

Welcome to bomber too. Great first post.

on the tram at alyeska yesterday

"whats the most difficult thing a snowboarder ever has to do in his life?"

"tell his parents he's gay"

there's some serious hate between the ski/board camps up here.... not nearly as bad as i experienced in val gardena. zee germans here still yell "nien nien nien" when i carve the whole hill as opposed to the little tight radius fall line turns they believe are an unwritten rule of pow.

If it's a pow day and you are carving back and forth across the whole piste, you are being a dick.

Neil that's a bit of a harsh toke. :eek:

Someone yelling Nien, Nien at me when I ain't breaking the law would make me want to carve the whole thing too.

:eplus2:

If I am on top and it's a pow day - all bets are off. I figure it's my job to farm as much powder as possible before it turns to something else.

Deliberately messing up someones run may not be great, but I have destroyed, and I do mean destroyed, runs carving before. 8 inches of fresh, just rolled - so smooth, so fast. Me and another guy - on softies too - ripped it up. Figure 8ed the whole thing wall to wall leaving about a 5 inch trench.

Knew I was ruining it but didn't really care at that pint. It was just too much fun. Besides in another hour the whole would be moguls anyway.

If it's a pow day and you are carving back and forth across the whole piste, you are being a dick.

not the whole hill, just not staying in a nice little 6' corridor. its cats. there's a whole freakin' mountain. if thats being a dick, then dick I am.

i've started yelling Nein Nein Nein when i drop in.

I didn't get anything from the lift line this week, but I kept getting cheers from the chair lift. :1luvu:

Wednesday night was probably some of the best snow I've been on all season. We got allot snow on the weekend (well allot compared to the rest of the season which has been total ****). It was too soft after the 4pm groom. I was leaving huge deep trenches and working way too hard. But about 2 hours later when it firmed up I was on fire.