Note to New Members ×

looking at vehicles - any opinions

davekempmeister

So I am looking at vehicles. I (and my wife) have had 4 Saturns in succession, which is her influence. I did like the service I saw her get with the first one and I liked the no haggle aspect. Anyway, I am not buying any more Saturns.

For ten years I've been driving a Saturn LW300 (6 cylinder) station wagon and love it. Opel chassis, I think. At 136K it still goes strong, knock on wood. Nonetheless, I'd rather know what I want than be reactionary if I suddenly need a new car.

I rented a Subaru Tribeca and I rented a Kia Sedona in the past year and liked both. If I were to just buy what I want with little thought to practicality, I'd get a VW GTI or whatever they call them now (I had the first generation).

Anyone able to tell me why I should/shouldn't with respect to any of the aforementioned. Thanks.

What makes you think the GTI isn't practical? You can get it in 4 doors, it's quite roomy for a small car, with the hatch and fold-down seats has lots of cargo space, gets decent mileage and goes like stink. Additionally, it's much more refined than other hot hatches.

I drive an R32, which is the version with the V6 and AWD, and I love it. It's the most practical hot rod I can think of.

I had an 07 gti mkv with the 2.0 turbo and when driven sedately it returned mpg numbers in the 40 is range. I had the two door but the back seat is one that I always got compliments on as the car has lots of passenger room. I had been fairly intent on a civic, but found it far more constrictive.

There is a new mkVI coming soon so you may be able to find a good deal on a mk5 if there are any around. There is also a diesel and a wagon on the way, you might want to check those out.

The Mazda 3 is a fine choice. It is faster than the GTI and probably a little cheaper for similar equipment, but as an overall daily driver it loses out in refinement. The only other issues are reliability, where VW gets a bad rap but the MkVs are much better. I'm not a big fan of the MkVIs but that's just personal taste. I think VW is still offering some killer deals on the MkVs though if you're buying new, 0% financing, that sort of thing.

The only thing I'd change in mine is the nav unit. If you get a 2009 or later the factory nav is way better.

Whats the purpose of said car?

Used or new?

Family or need for towing?

Daily driver or commute?

All issues to know about and keep in mind when picking out a car.

me, Im looking at 2 cars. A vintage 80's 2 seater that gets 30mpg for summer and an 05 Subaru Forester XTfor winter so I can be killin it with style in a STI package upgrade on the way to the slopes and not worry about getting stuck!

then again, I still need 20K to do that, so for now I will just be happy with riding a bus as its far more economical and leaves a lot less carbon footprint versus my "needs" and wants.

Slopestar, I like your idea alot. I'd thought the same thing myself on occasion and have always like the benz wagons - elegant and simple. Maybe the only used car I'd consider. Hmmmm........plus my wife would like that more than a GTI to be sure. Not that she'd drive it. Much.

Wagon has more room and equivalent gas mileage with more power than a new Honda suv. You can get a sedan for about 8 grand or less with under 100k. Just find a reputable independent service guy and have it inspected. Stay away from the stealerships . The sedans also come in 4 matic versions. Just add racks!!!:biggthump

check mbworld dot org under sedans e class 210

My 2 cents... BMW with 4 wheel drive -- the 3 series with the "x" option in a coupe to the stationwagon to the X3 SUV or the best-- a 4.4 V8 X5 ---

I am loving my 2003 330xi four door sedan. It had 39k miles on it when I bought it 18 months ago, for less than what you can spend on a new Civic. 225hp inline 6 (best engine ever) and it gets 30mpg on the highway. And it is unstoppable in the snow.

Need to haul boards and lots of luggage to the hill? Get a rack and a box. And/or get the wagon.

I avg 33mpg around town and 36mpg hwy.

I've got 2 kids have used it for plenty of long trips. We actually have enough storage in the back for our family. Every time I hit the start button and hear the exhaust I have to smile. Corners mean accelerate not slow down.:eplus2:

Slap a roof box on there and I'm good to go for riding season. Minis with snows on do amazingly well in the snow.

2gwt2t5.jpg

DSC_3196.JPG

If mpg is no object....Toyota FJ80 vintage 95-97 or Lexus LX450 vintage 95-97(same ride, better badging, sounddeadening materials), has front/rear locking differentials, seats 7, can throw a ton of gear on the roof w/ a Yak rack and basket and a box. The 212 V6 does well and it's bulletproof-I'm nearing 200k and this is my favorite vehicle owned after 6 VW's, 2 Jeeps, 2 Subies and a Honda. Just saying. Check out both models on Edmunds and read reviews for dependability.

I fear the day when I'll have to give up my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Laredo). It only gets 19 - 20mpg, but it does everything I ask of it with very little complaining.

I'm in the same boat with an old explorer.

The mini looks cool but after decades of driving in snow country, clearance is almost as valuable as good snow tires. I buy the most agressive studded snows I can find ever other year but when your plowin' 6-10 inches clearance rules.

Any more intell on your Mini?

Problems?

Issues?

Snow Tires?

I'm certainly an SUV guy, but still have a warm place for my old GTIs. 0% chance I'll own another Volkswagon (I've owned 5 - 4 GTIs and Vr6 Jetta), but still "miss" having a rear hatch. Of course, I have one now with my 4Runner, but looking for a 2nd car with better gas mileage/character.