Note to New Members ×

09-10 Snow Forecast

Mellow Yellow

Not sure I put much confidence in these predictions either.

Last year we had a very late (late November, I recall) 1st snow in Denver and predictions were for a warm, dry winter for the Rockies. Last year turned out to be one of the better years in recent times.

Last weekend we had record cold in Denver and some snow. Loveland and A-Basin had their earliest openings in 40 years.

I'm skeptical of any long-term forecasts.

My guy has been telling me all summer that we've got three possible weather patterns for the North East this winter, and two of them will equal big snow.:1luvu:

Yesterday he informed me, while almost giggling with glee, that we are looking at a Miller B for the weekend, and this is a good sign for things to come.:biggthump

As I understand it, the Miller B is a type of Nor'Easter that typicaly hammers inland or costal New England once the weather turns cold enough for them to stay in snow form and not turn to rain. (We're close down here in Mass. Gonna see flakes but no accumulation) You guys down south want to look for the Miller A storms, a Nor'Easter that has more of a tendancy to whack the VA and NC areas.

I tend to believe that current trends will continue. That is, however it has been recently, it will continue to be that way.

In the Denver area, we have had a relatively cool, wet summer. Hopefully that will trend into the winter.

It sounds like the northeast has had a very cool, very wet summer. This could make for a great season there.

The Northwest is at the mercy of the pacific flows; El Nino isn't always a bust for us but this year is looking weak for snowpack.

Thank ULLR schwietzer has the new snow guns up & running, at least we'll have the white ribbon of deth which is good for midweek carving.

There's some great maps in this TGR thread, Storm Tracking Maps - Teton Gravity Research Forums

To whoever posted up the NOAA crap - I monitor river flows and weather on a local river that I float regularly - they are so often laughably off in their forecasts of both weather and flows that when one of my buddies calls me all concerned with a) low water b) flooding c) freezing temps mid-August - I automatically ask them if they got the info from NOAA.

Sounding surprised: "How did you know that?"

Cuz they are the most full of **** weather prognosticating ever.

Sorry 7stg - I looked to see your screen name. No offense to you - one would think that an important sounding outfit like NOAA would put out good info.

I refuse to take their crap even the tiniest bit seriously. Maybe these assclowns do good forecasts in some parts of the country. They are a big unfunny joke to me.

Is it that time of year already?

Who's setting up the chalkboard with the over/under for snowfall depths?

BC got off to a rough start last year, but ended up getting good snow near the end of Feb. Compared to the previous year though it was a dissapointment.

As always at this time of year, I've been inquiring with the weather cognoscenti and got the following responses:

1. t's an El Nino year therefore there will be no snow;

2. It's an El Nino year therefore there will be record levels of snowfall;

3. It's not el nino - its baby nino, el nino is coming next year.

All that I've been able to make of this is a mental image of Chris Farley yelling 'el neeeeeeeeeeennnyoooooooooooo' and blowing. Gotta love the weather prognosticators.

My bigger concern is - will anyone be able to rent a car in BC in the month of Feb, or will they all be at the olympics?

Can I afford to pull the usual wait til a week before going while studying weather patterns to see where the snow is then book? My wife's killing me to choose a week and commit already. Might have to buy weather futures and hedge this up right.

To whoever posted up the NOAA crap - I monitor river flows and weather on a local river that I float regularly - they are so often laughably off in their forecasts of both weather and flows that when one of my buddies calls me all concerned with a) low water b) flooding c) freezing temps mid-August - I automatically ask them if they got the info from NOAA.

Sounding surprised: "How did you know that?"

Cuz they are the most full of **** weather prognosticating ever.

Sorry 7stg - I looked to see your screen name. No offense to you - one would think that an important sounding outfit like NOAA would put out good info.

I refuse to take their crap even the tiniest bit seriously. Maybe these assclowns do good forecasts in some parts of the country. They are a big unfunny joke to me.

I hope you are right. I'm up here in WA, and well, NOAAs forecast does not look so good.

This afternoon weather finally cleared up after few days of rain...

And what we could see... drumrolllll... peaks of the back ranges of the local mountains have thin snow cover!

Forecast for next 14 days is for temps mostly below seasonal in the city, which is cold enough for the snow inn the mountains. Snow on forecast for 5th and 6th of November, in the city itself.

Bring it on!

• 2 months later...