Fin the Equalizer!!

Jack M

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So let me get this strait...in the US it is perfectly legal to chase someone down the street wielding an assault riffle?

Great story, I'm glad the thief was caught.

Depends on what state you live in.

2A has not been incorperated.....yet.;)

If this had happened in MA, Fin would most likely be the one getting arrested.

.....and, if it's semi-auto, and not select fire, it is not an assault riffle, regardless of what some politicos may call it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Yes, Fin was protecting his property.

But how much is a human life worth?

Seriously, how many people here would really have been willing to pull the trigger, and in all likelihood kill the thief?

Any responses might be best in a separate "Off Topic" thread.

SunSurfer

Seriously, how many people here would really have been willing to pull the trigger, and in all likelihood kill the thief?

SunSurfer

I'm a good enough shot to wing 'em...

or fire a warning shot.

I'd shoot to kill if my family was being attacked.

Don't be silly, you can't kill for stealing.

Don't be silly, you can't kill for stealing.

You can if ya live in Texas.............gota luv those redneck states.

Whats mine is mine NOT yours!!!! I bust my a$$ for all I have.

If the lazer sight don't make you leave, then the first one is rubber, if your still there after that it's on you what the next round is.

Good job Fin :biggthump give that dog a big-ol-bone :p

howdy

i would have pop um... people need to respect others and their stuff.

if you dont have respect for others all hell will break loose. how can you live like that knowing that someone you pissed off gonna find you and

kick your ass. respect others, i have no problem teaching others respect!

live aloha! karma dude!...

My understanding is that the AR-15 shoots high velocity rounds. I don't know what kind of ordinance was in Fin's weapon.

A few years ago I spent some time in East Timor with the Australian Defence Force on UN peacekeeping duty as an intensive care doc. The medical unit's commanding officer told me their rifle's high velocity bullets were lethal if they hit the target anywhere between the elbows and the knees because of the extensive tissue damage caused by the shockwave of the bullet as it passed through.

I'm not sure you can shoot an AR-15 to reliably just "wound" somebody.

In New Zealand, we have special armed police squads to deal with violent and armed offenders. The ultimate sanction society has is to take the life of the criminal. Although NZ courts do not impose the death penalty, our police occasionally shoot dead violent offenders who attempt to harm police or other members of society. They shoot to kill.

Our police will chase people speeding on the roads, but have a well publicised policy to give up the chase if speeds get too high or the chase is judged too dangerous. The result is that some chases are ended and the speeder escapes. The policy is there because a significant number of chases have ended in serious crashes and death to both the speeder and innocent road users.

Essentially, our police only carry weapons when they are prepared to use them to kill.

By picking up a rifle Fin acted in a way that can be interpreted as that he was prepared to kill to protect his property.

SunSurfer

When I lived in South Africa, all firearm owners were told to shoot to kill in the situation of selfdefence or intruders in the house. Dead robber - no court case. Also, police recomended holow point bullets (dum-dum). First bulet finishes the shooting - exit wound is the size of baseball, at least, plus, with higher power guns, you can not shoot an inocent person behind with the bullet that pierced the robber right trough. Dum-dum explodes, so there is no danger to the public behind. However, holow point can not penetrate thicker glass or windshield, so you have to load hollow/full jacket/hollw,etc... I always had bullet in the chamber and safety on. Gun under the pillow every night... Thanks God, I only had to fire in the air once to scare of the car tieves in the night. It came very close to shooting on another occassion, when they wanted to high-jack my car (my wife was in too) on the fuel station, in the night. Gas attendant ran away into his office (what allerted me), and I already cocked the pistol. Then the high-jackers decided they didn't like the car enough, or didn't like my dark and aware look, and walked away.

Even in the wild, wild South, chasing with an arm, after someone that's running away from you would be illegal. Shooting him would lend you into prison for quite a few years...

"My understanding is that the AR-15 shoots high velocity rounds."

Absolutley, that's the whole point...

"The medical unit's commanding officer told me their rifle's high velocity bullets were lethal if they hit the target anywhere between the elbows and the knees because of the extensive tissue damage caused by the shockwave of the bullet as it passed through."

Far too much B.S. here. 5.56 is a proven uderperformer in most theatres of action. The bullet used does have a tendancy to tumble, thus doing more damage internally than the caliber would otherwise do. I would prefer that platform with something along the lines of, say, the 7.62x39 or the 6.8 SPC, but I live in the country and would use it on varmits of the coyote size also. The new .30 Remington holds real promise for the AR platform.

"I'm not sure you can shoot an AR-15 to reliably just "wound" somebody."

If you are a good shot, yes you could. I've always been taught to shoot center mass, i.e. to reliably neutralize the intended target.

Just a few humble thoughts from someone who has spent some time with weapons...

By picking up a rifle Fin acted in a way that can be interpreted as that he was prepared to kill to protect his property.

SunSurfer

You write too little of value for someone who writes so much.

Look at it this way, Fin chased the guy down to protect his stuff. He brought the rifle to protect himself.

If you don't value your property. Fine. Let it get stolen, but don't get down on Fin.

SunSurfer

a minor theft like that is certainly not worth the taking of a life, but thievery is unacceptable.