Note to New Members ×

Chronicles of the Happy Fun Plate at the Bomber Factory

fin

I've never set foot on that sort of plate system, but I can say it's some good looking machining work!

I've spent plenty of time with manual lathes & mills in the past few months working to .001'' accuracy to appreciate your work. Our CNC is a bit outdated & takes longer to set up than to just make *most* parts by hand.

Looking forward to the updates.

Looking for a mech engineer? :biggthump

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much to everyone for contributing to this thread - I love hearing so many perspectives on these tech issues. I have a few questions:

Is the HFP only likely to be used in 'extreme' situations? By that I mean racing or on boards that are particularly torsionally soft. I've only put one day on the Stubby that Bruce built me last year, but I found it to be very torsionally stiff with no noticeable 'pedalling'. My initial impression is that I would not want a board that is more torsionally stiff...

Would video analysis be a tool to actually record what pedalling is happening during riding? If you mounted two indicator sticks (like metal L-shapes) that would protrude from under one side of the bindings you could film them from the tail to record any difference in angular position.

Someone posted a video last season of the TD3's being flexed at rest clipped in and while riding, and it was astonishing to see the difference. There were several degrees of flex possible just leaning against the boot when stopped, but during carving the elastomers appeared to only be absorbing vibrations. I was very happy with my Burton Race Plates for 8 years, but now that I've spend some time on the TD3's I can't say enough good things about them. (Not to mention that they offer cant/lift which the RP's didn't)

Cheers!

Someone posted a video last season of the TD3's being flexed at rest clipped in and while riding, and it was astonishing to see the difference. There were several degrees of flex possible just leaning against the boot when stopped, but during carving the elastomers appeared to only be absorbing vibrations.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on collecting responses from racers and such. Also, I have some new ideas to try. So to be honest do not expect a "final answers" on the HFP at this point. It is a work in progress and I suspect it will take this entire season to finalize the design.

• 3 months later...

Fin,

This thread is really great. I just came across it. I read the whole thing in one sitting.

I love designing! It seems that I have ideas for almost anything I see. For me it is better than video games! What this tread does not capture though is the hours and hours spent in front of a computer putting what is in your head into a form that others can see. And the sleepless nights where ideas tumble around until you can get them out.

I know that you stopped pursuing the coil springs because of the uncontrolled harmonic. But what do you think of this design? I put a slug of rubber in the center. But you could add a second coil spring that has a different harmonic frequency. Make the helix in the opposite direction so that the two springs don't tangle and go solid. Most engines' valve springs are double so that they avoid this same issue. Then I added a threaded plug with a 10mm hex so you could adjust the tension. I designed a door lock that uses a coil spring and screw to adjust the pre-load for knobs or levers.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=GRMNAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=eric+morris&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=4#v=onepage&q=eric%20morris&f=false

Figure 2, Part #'s 90, 92, 94 and 106. It works really well.

The attached image is a quick and dirty drawing just for proof of concept. Maybe you can use it or adapt it somewhere. Its been some months since the last update. Any news? Was it on the snow at SES?

Eric

post-8010-14184230386_thumb.jpg

emorris,

Very cool and clean idea for an improved "Spring Pod". I like the preload adjustment. I was doing this just with shims inside the spring stack as well. I also had two springs of different rates we where trying.

Only issue I see is that a slug of rubber inside the stack will really only give you some minimal dampening properties as it only works in the compression stroke (or maybe I read your picture wrong?). I think there needs to be something a bit more active than this to make it work.

Did not have the HFP at SES. Bottom line is this for all those following this thread, you probably will not see this HFP v1 in a form of production. It will probably just be filed away under a very cool thing to see developed and it has served it's purpose of letting me move on to the next and better version. We'll call it HFP v2. Also, it was very cool to let everyone here see how a new product is designed and made. So as I hope people can see here that you have to be able to not only try something out of the norm but be ready to walk away from it so you can move onto the better version. It hurts sometimes, but in the end you get the better mouse trap.

As most of us can see the trend is towards what I call the "Mono-subplate" and after riding one I can see why. It really does work. My HFP v1 had similar characteristic it that is keep the feet torsional in plane. But this current Mono-subplate are taking this to the next level. However, I see a need for a cleaner and simpler design as all we now have is very specialty version that cannot be bought or tested by the general public.

Plan to change that soon.......stay tuned for HFP v2.