Note to New Members ×

Resorts to ban alpine

Rob Stevens

Local resorts around Banff have made a coordinated effoert to ban the use of alpine snowboard equipment on their mountains for next season.

Reasons cited include the dangerous speeds attainable and the inability of most riders to change their line once committed to a carve. Both of these reasons together have created a situaton for them which they see as untenable.

Sources have been quoted as saying that "It is unfortunate that the resorts have had to go to such lengths to protect their clients, but in the final analysis, it was determined that the safety of our guests far outwieghed the revenue from lift tickets purchased by enthusiasts of a dying branch of the otherwise safe sport of snowboarding." Further, "Alpine riders are encouraged to continue using the facilities of the Banff area resorts on thier standard equipment and should still enjoy a similar level of performance, regardless of equipment".

All I can say is that I'm glad I did not reinvest in new hard gear this year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a complaint about skiers. Most of them are unable to go down the slopes at a decent speed, vast majority apply a technique that scrapes off the snow and hence destroy slopes, none of them are able to control those sticks they use, so I got stabbed many times in the liftline, they have a tendency to break ligaments often, so it costs a lot for the whole society, and finally some of them even stink... not to mention that there are too many of them. Anyone want to join my petition against skiers?

:barf:

Local resorts around Banff have made a coordinated effoert to ban the use of alpine snowboard equipment on their mountains for next season.

Reasons cited include the dangerous speeds attainable and the inability of most riders to change their line once committed to a carve. Both of these reasons together have created a situaton for them which they see as untenable.

Sources have been quoted as saying that "It is unfortunate that the resorts have had to go to such lengths to protect their clients, but in the final analysis, it was determined that the safety of our guests far outwieghed the revenue from lift tickets purchased by enthusiasts of a dying branch of the otherwise safe sport of snowboarding." Further, "Alpine riders are encouraged to continue using the facilities of the Banff area resorts on thier standard equipment and should still enjoy a similar level of performance, regardless of equipment".

All I can say is that I'm glad I did not reinvest in new hard gear this year.

April Fools??????:boxing_sm

Screw Stowe-I am assuming you're kidding about Sugarloaf. I'm sure there are plenty of areas that wouldn't mind the influx of lodging, ticket and beverage revenues in a depressed economy. If not, what are they going to do when 100-200 alpine riders "spontaneously" converge on their area at once? "Wow..what a surprise to see you here...and you're here all weekend?!....that is a coincidence"

on that note Jack and I started planning the ECES for next season and have started talks with both Stowe and Sugarloaf.

Let's just say things aren't going well:argue:

Stowe has informed me that they are ALSO considering banning alpine snowboarding. They received numours complaints post our event from some wealthy visitors. Stowe's targeted group are the wealthy and have made a decision not to allow us back in 2010:mad:

Jack what's the scoop on Sugarloaf, I've heard they are following suit as well.:eek:

:eek:

Right when Burton is thinking about getting back into the alpine market, they start banning us at resorts.

You know, if you think about it, banning alpine gear at a few resorts would be just the thing to get Burton and all the "anti-establishment" jib boarders to get interested in alpine again. :)

Bordy is trying to work with the resort to have some sort of metal exemption clause, so everyone on a newer metal board will still be able to enjoy their favroite resort, but those who ride old school locked in chatter boxes will either have to upgrde or go to softies.

As a very recent converted skier... riding a seriously ancient Rossi... the reception that Schweitzer has given has been awesome. On the other hand... I am a bunny hill hero since anything resembling a pitch greater than 30 degrees would result in the loss of my life and perhaps others as well.

My resort wouldn't sell me a season pass for next season unless I agreed to do the following:

1. Lose weight.
  2. Not use my hardboots on my snowboard.
  3. Not double carve my SL skis before 7PM.

Appearantly all the old folk who ski there in the morning were complaining about my morning ski sessions and the evening race clinics were getting killed in the frozen trenches I left during my afternoon riding sessions.

Yeah, I OWN that hill during the week!

:)

I am a bunny hill hero since anything resembling a pitch greater than 30 degrees would result in the loss of my life and perhaps others as well.

30 degrees would be considered black diamond... Even if you think 30/100 grade, that's still 17 degrees, way over bunny hill. Typical bunny hill would be under 10deg, maybe even 5.