Note to New Members ×

Resorts to ban alpine

Rob Stevens

Sad thing is that this is a reality here in MN.

+1

for those who think it might be an april fools joke, its already happening.

in minnesota, there has been problems with one "resort" that has been considering a ban on alpine equipment for the past two seasons. when i first heard about it, i was abso-effing-lutely pissed. :angryfire

this last season they let us back in but there's been more complaints and more talk about banning the equipment. right now i don't know where they stand.

the complaints come from a small group of skiers (3-4) that have it in for hardbooters. they email the "resort" to complain and even make up sh!t that never happened.

we tried to be courteous, rotate runs, good behavior, etc. but there was no appeasing them.

one of the ski patrollers measured the trenches with a tape measure... claims that people have been (or someone was) injured from getting stuck in a trench. i don't think this ever happened while i was there but if it did, none of us were told about it. nevertheless, we're in the cross-hairs.

the "resort" is one of the better runs for hardbooting. love to keep going there but i'm not buying a season pass next season. the love is gone.

if i win the lotto, i'm buying that place out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the ski patrollers measured the trenches with a tape measure... claims that people have been (or someone was) injured from getting stuck in a trench.

That is just totally ridonculous! I've heard the odd complaint about trenches here and there ... but to my mind, if you can't make it over a three to eight inch rut without falling on your ass, you can't ski/ride. I think most people understand that.

If I was in your shoes bobble, I'd get the baddest pair of 12m skis and learn how to rut the sh!t out of that goddamn hill. Just make run after run under the main chair.

Wouldn't be an issue if the ruts were caused by a skier. Thats how it works there. They complain about the ruts and dangerous damage to the hill, but they'll pull a slalom course and leave ruts big enough to swallow small children.

If it continues to be an issue, I think we need to have an unannounced session here.

guerilla rut raid expression session:biggthump

I love it

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

that would be funny....last year the patrollers on my little hill liked the ruts xxguitarist and I laid down every Thursday night....sadly this year I couldn't repeat that but we never had any issues

If I was in your shoes bobble, I'd get the baddest pair of 12m skis and learn how to rut the sh!t out of that goddamn hill. Just make run after run under the main chair.

How to: http://www.hendryxskis.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27

And suitable weapon's: http://www.hendryxskis.se/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=34

I like this line: "It all started with my realization that snowboarders were carving way more than skiers do....I tried to go as deep as snowboarders did but I just didn´t make it." :biggthump

I am definately up for a mass ski carving sessions at ****ch! I still have a gift card from this year in one of my jackets. I would have to work on my form tho. What would be better is a group of soft-boot carvers laying trenches. THAT would tend to shut them up. What they going to do - ban soft boots and boards and loose half of their revenue?

Rick

I am definately up for a mass ski carving sessions at ****ch! I still have a gift card from this year in one of my jackets. I would have to work on my form tho. What would be better is a group of soft-boot carvers laying trenches. THAT would tend to shut them up. What they going to do - ban soft boots and boards and loose half of their revenue?

Rick

Actually, that's probably the best response you could offer. Have everyone show up in softies and start ripping turns that leave trenches anyway.

2830_People_sized_moguls.JPG

Im sorry, but this is far more annoying than a few trenches..... Nothing ruins my day like a skied off trail that is all lumped up... who makes it ? SKIERS DO.

:smashfrea

They just keep blasting the spots and make moguls rather than smoothing it back out by blasting thru it.

I've been "yelled at" by a skier once for "making ruts", I told him to kindly STFU as its a black diamond, and he shouldnt be on it if he can't handle turrain changes. He complained, and the skipatrol told him I was right. "BE AWARE OF EVER CHANGING TRAIL CONDITIONS".

2830_People_sized_moguls.JPG

Im sorry, but this is far more annoying than a few trenches..... Nothing ruins my day like a skied off trail that is all lumped up... who makes it ? SKIERS DO.

:smashfrea

They just keep blasting the spots and make moguls rather than smoothing it back out by blasting thru it.

I've been "yelled at" by a skier once for "making ruts", I told him to kindly STFU as its a black diamond, and he shouldnt be on it if he can't handle turrain changes. He complained, and the skipatrol told him I was right. "BE AWARE OF EVER CHANGING TRAIL CONDITIONS".

That is a cakewalk compared to some of the runs at my Mountain

Learn to ride them in HB, you will like them eventually, almost crave and seek them out.

Actually, that run looks about perfect for snowboarding - nice spaced out soft bumps, yum. Let me at 'em!

on a carver in hardboots?

its allllll yours. :barf:

I'll avoid tib-fib break alley if its OK with you guys ;)

I took a friend down WHEELCHAIR @ Bromley lastyear (It's a bump run). He was talking smack how he was such a great skier and yada yada yada.... so I was on my 157 BX board and hardboots and went to that trail and said "Put your money where your mouth is, I'll see U at the bottom".

I didnt even have to "rush" down. It was definately difficult conditions and wicked troughs and peaks for moguls, but I was able to navigate just fine, and sat down a few times to wait for him.

Ten minutes later....... apparently a much more humble skier came over and really didnt have much to say cept " Lets not do that trail again".

:biggthump

Boarders 1 ; Skiers 0

Kessler has been working with Palmer to produce these...

http://www.palmerskis.com/palmer08//en/boards/view/57

But I would like to see a wider waist, unless you are going to huge risers.

I think 80mm is a cut off for waist width though. I certainly don't have the leverage for 100mm. At 80mm I start to notice the effort to hold the skis on edge at moderate inclination. For comparison, even a few degrees of binding angle make a difference on a skwall.

Now, two Coiler NSRs with 78mm waist might be my perfect pair of skis.

BobD