Note to New Members ×

Headphones for riding

BryanZ

Just letting you guys know what I use for the slopes.

motorola-s9-02.jpg

They are stereo bluetooth headphones, Iphones and ipods are not stereo bluetooth so they won't work with those peticular mp3 players.

These are what I use, the motorola s9, they work only with cell phones that are stereo bluetooth. They are completely wireless and you can control the tracks/play/pause/volume from the headset. If somebody calls you it will stop the music and you can answer the phone right from the headset

These just save so much hassle for me with no wires and they sound pretty good for being wireless. I can have them on for an entire day under my gear and they are very comfortable. At a full charge, they will pretty much get me from lift open until lift close, and pretty much die on the last run at full volume.

motorola-s9-01.jpg

this is how you wear them, so they don't really get in the way of your gear

No I don't work for motorola lol, I just love them so much I'd figure I'd share them with you guys.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, headphones have no place at a ski area. Without a sense of hearing you are a hazard on the trail. At least the dolts that ride with earbubs you can see the wires to their ears and know to stay clear of them. But wireless bluetooth ons that can hide under a helmet and hood are just a bad thing.

I'm sorry, headphones have no place at a ski area. Without a sense of hearing you are a hazard on the trail. At least the dolts that ride with earbubs you can see the wires to their ears and know to stay clear of them. But wireless bluetooth ons that can hide under a helmet and hood are just a bad thing.

thanks trail police, I guess I'm a menace to the slopes.

You can usually hear what you need to. The headphones do not over power someone yelling or skidding out of control.

Those are really neat, but as mentioned before, I wouldn't listen to music on the slopes for exactly that reason. There have been numerous instances when I was able to hear someone bombing down the hill a couple seconds before I saw them...saved my butt more than once!

Although if it was a prettly slow day with empty runs, I can see where listening to music might be nice. Then again, I love the sound of the edge slicing through the slope. :1luvu:

To each his own! Just be safe :)

IMO it's perfectly safe listening at a moderate volume, they are not over the ear headphones that block out the world.

IMO I think it's perfectly fine for an advanced rider to be able to listen to music on the run. I think it's pretty instinctive for most of us to know where everybody is at all times.

IMO it's perfectly safe listening at a moderate volume, they are not over the ear headphones that block out the world.

IMO I think it's perfectly fine for an advanced rider to be able to listen to music on the run. I think it's pretty instinctive for most of us to know where everybody is at all times.

Sorry, but no. Most ski resorts have conditions in their agreements (you know the ones you agree to when you buy a life ticket there) that people using their property can not have any impairment to their senses (it's worded differently everywhere but it's essentially the same thing). Many patrolers I know, if they see someone with headphones on they will go to them and ask them to remove and tell them about that area's policy. Second time they see the same person they usually yank the pass.

20 some years ago I remember when the Sony Sports walkmans came out (the yellow ones that were water resistant) and you started seeing them on the slopes. My home area at the time had a massive crackdown on them. It was a bad idea then and still bad now.

I've been slammed before by someone wearing earphones...but, amazing as it may sound, I dont' think they're a hazard as long as you remain situationally aware with your eyes.

When the slopes are even moderately crowded (often here in the east) I ride with my head on a swivel. I'm constantly looking uphill and all around me. When things get sketchy (people bombing down all around) I pull over and wait for a big gap.

Further, as Bryan said, volume isn't a deafening/silent thing...you can have the music down low enough that you still hear the scraping of an out-of-control skidder approaching.

I sometimes also just listen to tunes on the lift ride...then turn 'em off while riding down. Nothing wrong with that!

Scott

I use a Giro G10 w/Motorola Bluetooth tuneups (S805). Along with my Blackberry 8800 you can do the same stuff.....pause,play,stop,change track and volume for MP3 and answer the phone, you can also dial out with voice commands, all with gloves on and on the outside of the helmet. Two days easy on a charge. Great for those "on call" days. Unless I'm night skiing after 9 during the week and its dead empty I only use them on the lift.

The key is having a cell phone/MP3 player that supports Bluetooth AVRCP (audio video remote control profile) and A2DP (advanced audio distribution profile).

The hassle of adjusting volume/track each lift ride etc was a real PITA as I wear Burton impact gloves that are brutal to get off and on to the point off just not bothering with tunes for the lift. The phone is required...

These are truly one of the best tech gadgets that I own (got them for $100 CDN off kijiji NIB)

The only downside I have found is getting teased for looking like Princess Leia!!

post-5581-141842275141_thumb.jpg

And so starts the annual "Headphones are fun" thread...

it's about a 50/50 split here - some like a soundtrack, some like the sound of their edges... to each his own. I have ridden with and without and as long as you are not blasting and you are constantly looking around, I don't see the danger.

I use a Giro helmet with speakers in the earpads. I just didn't like having stuff in my ears.

With moderate volume I don't think there's a safety issue at all. I have no problem having conversations with other people on the lift and stuff like that.

But, last weekend I was able to make out the song the guy next to me had playing on HIS headphones. :rolleyes:

too much traffic to listen to music around here. But once upon a time @ Lake Louise:

[...] so there was only one thing that I could do, was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long [...] A.J.

Ha, ha! Jesus built my hot rod too.

I've tried skiing with headphones many times. I seem to have a hell of a time keeping them in my ears under my Giro Talon helmet. I pretty much gave up on it, but I always kept the volume pretty low.

On skis, I felt pretty comfortable with them because: 1. The volume was low enough that I could hear my skis (and carry on a normal conversation on the lift). 2. I ski a really small hill and it is very easy to keep track of my surroundings. 3. Most of my riding is done weekday mornings, so crowds are low. 4. I ski faster than 99% of the people on my hill so most of my attention is mostly on what's in front of me. 5. I'm pretty versatile on skis and can react quickly if needed.

I wouldn't use them on a snowboard because: 1. I suck! If someone gets in my way, all I can do is hit them. Just ask my wife. I plowed her over one time. lol (Okay, I'm not THAT bad, but I really did plow my wife over once.)

Another funny thing I have noticed in my area. Most of the kids ride boards but none of them can carve a turn to save their life. So they pretty much bomb the hill like goons on a skateboard while the skiers are swooping across the hill on their shaped skis. It's like a complete 180 form the way it was 15 years ago except the skiers are the ones still complaining about "those damn snowboarders!" :)

I ride with music as well but don't have a bluetooth set-up. I like the wireless idea though, it would make things nice and "clean". I'm with tex1230 here, to each his own. If you guys want to start a thread about the dangers of using headphones or bitching about headphone users, start your own thread but leave Bryanz alone, the guy was just trying to put some useful info out in the community. Relax....

I'm sorry, headphones have no place at a ski area. Without a sense of hearing you are a hazard on the trail. At least the dolts that ride with earbubs you can see the wires to their ears and know to stay clear of them.

Says you. There are many ways to feel the slope than by hearing it.

Sorry, but no. Most ski resorts have conditions in their agreements (you know the ones you agree to when you buy a life ticket there) that people using their property can not have any impairment to their senses (it's worded differently everywhere but it's essentially the same thing). Many patrolers I know, if they see someone with headphones on they will go to them and ask them to remove and tell them about that area's policy. Second time they see the same person they usually yank the pass.

My home area at the time had a massive crackdown on them. It was a bad idea then and still bad now.

I don't know where "most ski resorts" are that you are talking about, but out here there are tons of people who rock their music on slope. Please show me. I guess I could be from Missouri.

Where are tunes banned on slope??

I wasn't trying to start an arguement, many people on the forum use them. If you do, make sure you check these out. If you don't, don't check them out :shrug:

I'll start one. People should not jump on other peoples threads to try to exert their will onto everyone.

As far as bad ideas - living may be another. It ends up at one inevitable conclusion. So until that happens I am going to listen to music while snowboarding, and sometimes I am going to turn it up as loud as it goes. I hope you can hear it two runs away. And its usually gonna be something hard, rocking and fast.

Catch me if you can.

Apparently I am not alone. An old fashioned thread revival:

http://bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20711&highlight=music

Notice how those who disagree with riding on slope still posted up suggestions - respectfully.

I use this...

Jabra BT3030

57a0_1.JPG

You can find lots of these on eBay for $45 to $70. I got mine for $30 'cause it didn't come with headphones. That's fine though 'cause it allows you to use any standard plug phones and I wanted to use the ones I already had anyway. The battery outlasts my phone's battery by far. A good option for me since I can't afford that sweet Giro setup above.

Interesting. I like sound isolating in-the-ear phones as I can use them on the 'plane as well and they work with my ipod. The main issue is switching the thing on and off, not for calls but to talk to people when ya stop. Sticking the ipod in your mitt works, but it's not that straightforward to find the right button.

On the troll..

I've never seen any resort restriction on riders relating to hearing. Provide samples of these rules please. I've ridden with tunes consistently since those first yellow walkmen and never had any trouble with any resort staff, many of whom I know well.

Many people do not look around, perhaps because they think that they can hear and therefore place people in time and space. This is apparently a mistake on their part and isn't an idea we should encourage.

You can suggest that I'm "a hazard on the trail", but you've no evidence for that. On this one I can safely say you're talking bollocks; I've never hit anyone or been hit by anyone.

You see the same fatuous logic you're trolling out on the streets... some pedestrians rely on their ears to detect traffic. That's a real problem for all of us cyclists.

I have been riding with tunes for 10 years now, I even take back ups just in case. I dont opt for the Blue tooth, too many things to keep charged, I use the Standard Tune ups that come in the Giro wired.

I have the solution for the Ipod on and off thing, its Very simple and I will post pics later. Need to leave now to go ride with Shred!!! @ the Beast:biggthump