Note to New Members ×

Instructional Videos?

WASMAN

I am looking for some instructional videos for carving... at my ski resort the only board instructors want to either drag me down the terrain park or push me into the half pipe with my alpine board!!!!! i have just picked up the sport this year and am having a BLAST on my 178 Renntiger, but now that i have mastered the art of getting down the hill without breaking any bones, i feel i need some help getting rid of that plumbers butt and start getting 'closer to the snow'. i feel really good on the toe turn, but the heel is still a mystery.

i have not been able to find anywhere to find any videos on alpine instruction, any suggestions?? i have been following a bunch of threads in this forum but there is nothing like SEEING it in action and explained why).

You were asking about Swoard on another thread, so here's a good start: http://www.extremecarving.com/tech/tech.html.

The technique would be different than the one you get instructed around here, which is more geared toward racing, but works well.

Otherwise, Mansfield probably have someone on hardboot in their instructor pool. Another option is to hang out at one of the resort that have lots of hardbooters, and someone always happy to give tips (around you Mansfield, and the Oshawa Ski club comes to mind).

WASMAN, I asked the same question 5 years ago when I first started. Forget it, It doesn't exist for Alpine Boarding UNFORTUNATELY :(. Seems like a 'nitch' for someone to make a couple of bucks to me, but obviously there is no interest for some reason :confused:.

When I started on Soft Boots, I picked up an Instructional Video "Get Dialed In", man I wore that thing out & to this day lend it out to people interested in learning to board.

As Pat posted, there is a ton of information here and other sites, but there's nothing like a good video to some ( like I always say, " I'm from Missouri, Show Me" !) I need to see it, back it up, replay it a hundred times, have someone beat me or scream at me for it to 'sink in' sometimes :freak3:.

I've been out of it for 3 years and now feel like I'm starting from scratch again. I'd give my left nut for a good Instructional Video like "Get Dialed In" for Hardboots !

Best thing is to take a lesson or hook up with someone more experienced, IF you are lucky enough to have other carvers in your area. Everyone I've ever met is wiliing to help (but I feel guilty hacking into their Carving Time) and I find that I learn something , even if it is just by following behind someone and watching them.

Good Luck !

This has been on my "to do" list for years. I've got the whole movie "up here" (points to noggin). Unfortunately due to family and career constraints, if I'm going to do it, I'll have to get funding because I can't take vacation time to do it. Oh, and anyone got a good video camera? Bonus if you have a steady-cam and a snowmobile.

This year is out, obviously. Next year is ECES, so I could do it 2011 (and put off SES yet again). Talented carvers, you know who you are, make sure you have a week free in March then.

I only have a consumer HD camcorder but I made my own steadycam following these directions: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

I for one would buy a good alpine instructional video. And if I can help in producing I totally would :)

Loc, that's really interesting, conceptually. But wouldn't lugging that beotch around on a ski run get tiring?

Loc, that's really interesting, conceptually. But wouldn't lugging that beotch around on a ski run get tiring?

I've never tried it on the slopes, but for sure it would be cumbersome. I attached a 5lb counter-weight for walk-around filming and it can get tiring. It might work well on a snowmobile though.

A month ago I saw a shooting at Mt Olympia on the double-black run. The cinematographer was on skis, holding a sailboard wishbone instead of poles (pointed ends fore and aft of himself). The camera was mounted at the front end of the wishbone. I saw no counterweight at the back; he just grabbed the apparatus at the CG. It looked completely safe and stable as he panned sideways gently to track his subject who slalomed ahead of him.

Parts: Wishbone, duct tape.

I'm not qualified to comment on the riding, but technically it is an interesting idea. Have a look.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKEhnNc0WdY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKEhnNc0WdY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>