Note to New Members ×

Am I the only one who doesn't enjoy crowds?

SWriverstone

As happens a few times every season, I found myself today amidst some pretty huge masses of humanity at the local resort (ditto yesterday). We got there early and the first few runs were great...but things went downhill fast.

I've seen (and know) other carvers who don't seem to be bothered by carving around/through/inbetween large numbers of skiers and snowboarders flying straight down the mountain like cubes in a Tetris game.

I hate it!

It throws off my focus, makes me nervous, and generally wipes out the enjoyment factor.

I'm very situationally aware at all times...but that doesn't help. In fact, when the slopes get mobbed, I find looking uphill actually makes things worse, because every time I look I see more of those Tetris cubes coming straight down at me.

Just as when I'm motorcycling and see vehicles getting ready to turn into the road, I always try to make eye (or goggle) contact with straightliners to establish that unspoken "I see you, do you see me?" communication. Today I was pretty disturbed that many skiers never acknowledged me, with one almost hitting me as I stood over near the edge of the slope waiting for him to go by.

It may well be different out west, but at east coast resorts (at least ours) no matter how good someone looks hula-dancing down the mountain, I think a lot of 'em are in their own little bubble and are not situationally aware at all...which scares me.

I've heard some people suggest that mobs on slopes are just a fact of life in snowsports and that we should all get used to it...but I call BS on that. Even at my local resort, I can easily find times (weekday mornings, for example) when the place is almost empty. So dealing with mobs on slopes is definitely not a requirement.

I'm curious to hear how many people routinely carve through the matrix of Tetris cubes on crowded slopes and actually aren't bothered by it? (And if so, how? Do you just ignore the risk? Or gamble that everyone else will see and avoid you?)

Scott

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SW

I'm right there with you. Situational Awareness is with me most of my waking hours, but that has come from my occupation, raising 3 hellions and carving. At least for where I ride here in PA at Blue Mtn. Your head better be on a swivel and even then someone will hit you. Those folks that run in and amongst other folks might not have ever been steam rolled from behind by a straightliner or folks that simply cannot interpret what a carver can do on a board.

I have seen skiers and boarders lulled into nearly hitting the guy I ride with JBS. Its odd, they steer towards him the closer they get and then make an abrupt turn away. He and I both have been plowed from behind, but Blue is known for its striaghtliners and the ski team, who basically take over the steep stuff until practice starts.

I always wait for gaps, look back up hill about every 6th turn and if tetris is coming, I pull out and wait. I prefer weekdays and dread weekends after 9 am. Part of the reason I wear full face helmet and body armor. I reduce my risk as much as feasible, too much riding on it, family to feed, work to do, more carving to be done.

If it gets too crowded, i just pack it in and go home. The odds are on those crowded days, your percent of weekend warriors raised the odds heavily against you. Weekend warriors tend to be more oblivious than anyone, plus they do not observe good hill etiquette; stopping in the middle of a tight run, dropping in without looking uphill, turning erratically, stopping on the other side of a roller,the list goes one.

I get shivers sometimes in theose crowded situations and my radar tells me to go home.

If it gets too crowded, i just pack it in and go home...

Weekend warriors tend to be more oblivious than anyone, plus they do not observe good hill etiquette; stopping in the middle of a tight run, dropping in without looking uphill, turning erratically, stopping on the other side of a roller,the list goes one.

I get shivers sometimes in theose crowded situations and my radar tells me to go home.

Could not have said it any better

Sadly there are some days where I only ride for 2 hours or so (round trip commute is 3 hours or more). I'd rather head home than risk it.

Scott, after being away for 3 years, Definitely NOT me!

When the line starts to form at the lift, or I see buses pull in, it's time for me to leave! Between working all night, being out of shape (well, I do have shape, but it's :o round) and not having the confidence in my riding yet, I'm outta there. That's why I bought a Season Pass, so I can leave at any time and NOT feel as though I have to stay and get my $$ worth. If I'm going to get hurt, hopefully it will be in descent conditions, and my own fault.

One thing I will say that I have noticed at Blue though. 3 years ago the only people trying to Carve were a few Hardbooters, maybe 1 or 2 Softbooters (Instructors) and the Ski 'Race Team'. Now I'd bet that at least 50% of the people on the hill are making ;) OR trying to make some turns! It's cool to see this transition, and it may not be as noticeable to others that have not been away, but I see it and like it (always appreciated carving on ski's / Elan SCX's). I think when people start to learn to roll their edges (skiers) turn/carve, they learn to appreciate more what we are doing, thus making them more aware & safer for all :biggthump. Their seems to be less 'straightliners' than I remember (but they are :eek: still there). Of coarse I'm there first thing in the mornings & ride weekdays ONLY with pretty much the regulars. I don't know If I could conjure up the cohonies to ride in the evenings or weekends with all the :boxing_sm crazies?

My hill is entirely too small for the crowds it sees. Last Friday there were over 10 tour buses there at any one time. Too many people.

It just shows to me the quality of service my hill wants to provide to its customers. Pack them in like cattle, and get their money any way you can.

I go there because I get a free season pass. If I had to pay to ride, I'd get very few, if any days in. It's just not worth the standing in line, waiting for the lift to get to the top, listen to all the idiot kids with so much bravado, the crappy music, etc etc etc.

Yeah, I'm a snob about it. But that's fine with me. It's my hobby, and my time to relax and have fun. Some day soon I'll live out west, and I can have my pick of hills to have my me time.

So yeah, I like individuals, but damn I hate people.

I'm with you Scott--- I have a major worry about hitting a Child & hurting them

If that happened I would need to quit boarding all-together!

When its crowded (Most the time) I do a lot of side-line stopping waiting on it to clear

Then I haul A$$ for 200 yrs & stop again

Also when I come to a cross trail-- I dead stop again!

Although this is a pain in the butt-----for me its a necessity

When I lived back east, I timed things with NFL playoffs or Superbowl Sunday. Always about 1/2 the crowds on those weekend days. Otherwise, you have to plan to go on the weekdays or else there are always hords of people on the slopes. You could always move to the middle of nowhere like I did and have 5 min lift lines on the weekends at a world class resort. Not kidding, we up and left the big city and took lower paying jobs so we could ride at better, less crowded resorts. I've never been happier! :ices_ange

Our local hills are full of beginning skiers and snowboarders- on weekends it starts to get stupid between 1030 and 1700.

It's just the lay of the land with 2 million people in greater Vancouver and 4 ski hills within the city limits- at least it insures that snowsliding sports have a great local future in terms of participants.

On the weekends I get up early and try to get to the hill before it opens, to catch the first chairlift. I can usually get between 10-15 runs in before it starts to get busy at 1100. I leave before lunch and if the snow is choice, come back after supper and ride between 7:00 and closing at 10:00.

I find that riding hardboots at night helps you get better at finding the sweet spot of your board, since the variable visibility and limited lighting makes you more aware of your balance.

The philosopher in me says to live and let live; everyone has a beginner learning curve, and these kids and adults are what keep the sport progressing. However, I have little patience for skiers and riders who go too fast and don't have the control to match their speed.

People who are just learning to snowplow or sideslip their boards don't pose too much of a threat to me- I can usually see them from far away and have enough maneuverability to keep out of their way.

When it just gets too crowded, like others have said; I just duck into the trees and black diamond runs on my alpine board and things get wide open again.

I go up Ajax at 10 to 9 and there are bunches of people drooling to get on the

hill... usually I get to 11 before I flee back to butter as Sun. mornings people

are slower for some reason...on the 4th run I see two skiers going forty with

straight legs poles out at their sides looking backward one using his cell phone

Back at Tiehack 10:15 or so riding up and Tiehack looks like a geometric

mathmatical equation, Arc makers annonomous meeting I guess? No

It is the early Risers for the SES...Carvers everywhere!!!

BACK TO THE TRESS AT WEST FOR AWHILE.:eplus2::1luvu::cool::D

+1 for not liking the crowds. but my biggiest complaint is the 8-10 yr olds and there parents practicing "the falling leaf " on blacks and on hills where you cant see over the crest i ve come sooo close a few times to railroading a child. im not the best out there but thery want to practice that stay to the side.. my 2 cents

I don't mind kids and beginners falling leaf down blacks. When I was first starting my parents took me down a couple blacks, needless to say I had fun getting a little taste of the steep stuff that young. I don't have a problem with waiting for them to get down to the bottom or finding another run and coming back later. There's plenty of mountain for everyone. Well at least on the west coast. I'm sure the east is a lot more crowded and a different mindset.

I see it all the time, snowplowing and turning completely across flat catwalks, 2 turns and stop in the middle of steep pitches and under rollers as well as riders/skiers consantly on pitches totally over their heads. Yesterday an instructor popped out of the woods onto a steep blue with a class of little grommets in tow, without looking uphill to see D.T. barreling down the run. Dustin was able to bail without incident. People are just oblivious to whats going on around them, and seem to feel that they are the ony ones in the world. You should be made to recite skier/rider responsibilty before you are allowed on the mountain.

mario

Just about this time every year I get fed up with the midseason madness on the east coast. This years case begins with a rude parking attendant at 7am, getting hit by a uniformed ski school member on my second run(he never stopped) and then finally, watching as people push through a 10 minute lift line to join their "friends" without apology. I didn't last untill 10am.

My saving grace...I was riding with good friends.

And next week I'm going to Aspen.

SES or bust.

when the slopes are crowded. I think my motorcycling background helps me cope better than others when it gets bunched up with to many "meat gates". I tend to fall back on my "pick a spot and shoot the gap" mentality. Conditions and confidence level are also big factors in how long I'm willing to stay on any given day, especially when it's crowded. But I got down-right uncomfortable at Bachelor when I was there. Bigger mountain than my local hill, but that also equated to more people. Less knowledge of the terrain probably contributed alot to my cautiousness as well, plus my riding wasn't at it's best. Everybody has a right to ride, but I find more often than not proper knowledge of right-of-way and etiquette are the causes of most of the mishaps I've seen or been involved in.

I go up Ajax at 10 to 9 and there are bunches of people drooling to get on the

hill... usually I get to 11 before I flee back to butter as Sun. mornings people

are slower for some reason...on the 4th run I see two skiers going forty with

straight legs poles out at their sides looking backward one using his cell phone

Back at Tiehack 10:15 or so riding up and Tiehack looks like a geometric

mathmatical equation, Arc makers annonomous meeting I guess? No

It is the early Risers for the SES...Carvers everywhere!!!

BACK TO THE TRESS AT WEST FOR AWHILE.:eplus2::1luvu::cool::D

Oh come on, Ajax never gets crowded. (c; Plus, you get your martini skiers: they go out for one run, drink the rest of the day, and stumble down the hill at 3, trying not to pull a Michael Kennedy.

In my experience here in Aspen, if you dominate the trail, claim it as your own, then people really don't overtake you. Of course, I also try and go really fast, so that helps.

Monday to Friday are about the only carving days for me...and I still have close calls. Even got hit at full speed by a lone skier staring down at her ski boots while I was on the side of the run waiting for other carvers in '07 on a Wednesday.

I went out yesterday with my GF a friend of ours. It was our friend's first visit to the hill we frequent here in Ont. Both our friend and I originate from out west where everyone tends to be courtious and observant. We watched a girl on softboots get nailed from behind by a skier that seemed to be paying no attention to what was going on in front of her. The boarder was knocked out cold (no helmet, maybe this will convince her) and the skier kept going. I went and got Ski patrol and chased the skier down and told her to wait for patrol. She knew she hit the boarder but didn't seem at all concerned that the girl was out cold.

while patrol was attending to the boarder, they had another patroller standing point to slow and divert traffic and I was amazed that there was only one more collision as it was right before the lift line and so many people were at mach 2 coming down the hill.

I hate the crowds here in Ont as it seems to be a "me first" attutude and there is no concern for anyone else on the hill. Unless you go to Osler with thirty some other carvers. Too bad I don't have an extra 60k lying around or I would go share the hill with old rich people.

Monday to Friday are about the only carving days for me...and I still have close calls. Even got hit at full speed by a lone skier staring down at her ski boots while I was on the side of the run waiting for other carvers in '07 on a Wednesday.

I always make sure to be looking uphill while I am waiting. I've been hit enough times by out of control skiers/boarders to think I have a target painted on my back.

I hate crowds too, but living in NYC and having to work during the week, I have to deal with them. Stratton and Mt.Snow get insanely crowded. For some reason I can always find a few less populated runs at Okemo. Some days just suck. I really look forward to the days where it is freezing ass cold or icy as hell, just because I know there will be fewer people on the mountain.

ride the blacks.

stay till late.

while your wait for every one to leave, work on your FS misty flip :)

works for me... that last one you might wanna do in softies though...

really though, ride fast, and stay ahead of the pack. think of it like dipping through rush hour trafic at 90mph....

apply this to snowboarding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uQdneM_hE

ride the blacks.

stay till late.

while your wait for every one to leave, work on your FS misty flip :)

works for me... that last one you might wanna do in softies though...

really though, ride fast, and stay ahead of the pack. think of it like dipping through rush hour trafic at 90mph....

apply this to snowboarding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uQdneM_hE

If you ride like this in crowded conditions for very long, you or someone else will get hurt badly.

The little groms do some very unexpected things. Imagine one of those little cars coming to a dead stop from 70 just as the guy cuts three lanes at 100mph. Maybe it was a joke, but seriously you need to evaluate how you are riding in crowds, when it goes badly it won't be good.