Note to New Members ×

If you could go anywhere to carve, where?

SWriverstone

Hi all...for anyone who may remember me...I'm back after a long hiatus from carving, due in no small part to still being trapped in the Mid-Atlantic ("Land of 45-degree Rainy Days in Winter").

As it happens, we had a great cold spell about two weeks ago, and our (dinky) local resorts were able to get an early start on snowmaking. Holly and I hit Whitetail on opening day and had a BLAST just being back on our carving boards (though our legs suffered a bit).

Now, as I type...temps are back above freezing and we're in the midst of severe FLOODING. :angryfire:( But they're saying it'll get cold again tomorrow so...we'll see...

ANYWAY...to the point of my post—Holly and I are taking a week-long trip out west to carve...and we have no idea where we should go? :confused: So...we're looking for suggestions!

Our only real criteria are:

a) no crowds (I'll go postal if there are lift lines)

b) lots of W-I-D-E, not-too-steep slopes for carving!

We've been thinking of Aspen/Snowmass (another carver was raving about Snowmass)...Powder Mountain in Utah...and maybe the Tahoe area...but we really don't know squat about any of 'em...so feel free to fire away with recommendations!

If any New Englanders think we're making a mistake by going out west, go right ahead and make your case! :D We're willing to listen!

Thanks,

Scott

EDIT: By the way, we'd LOVE to make it to SES...but don't think we can get away in February...but there's an outside chance...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since "no crowds" are a deal breaker for you- there are really only three resorts that I can personally recommend:

Big Mountain in Whitefish MT.

Schweitzer resort in Sandpoint ID.

Grand Targhee resort in Driggs ID.

All have nice wide runs, good slope angle- great snow (Rockies powder)- and wait for it- no crowds.

When I was a snowboard rep in the mid 90's, these resorts were always favorites.

George

Thanks George. I guess when I say "no crowds," the definition of "crowded" is relative. At our packed Mid-Atlantic resorts, crowded means lift lines...and (worse) basically not being able to carve the whole width of the slope because there are hundreds of out-of-control dweebs straight-lining down the mountain, and you (the carver) have no place to go to escape them!

Scott

Our only real criteria are:

a) no crowds (I'll go postal if there are lift lines)

b) lots of W-I-D-E, not-too-steep slopes for carving!

For me it's a clear answer, ASPEN !!!

Totally fulfills your criteria… plus several others, i.e. Aspen being a real wonderful ski town with great restaurants and bars…

I define crowds at resorts in two ways- long line ups at the bottom of the chairlifts, and actual congestion on the slopes.

Long line ups at the chairlifts bother me the most- you lose body heat standing still, start to get cold, and most annoying of all, people who are clueless and inconsiderate start putting scratches and divots into the topsheet of my board with their skis and poles.:boxing_sm:mad:

Congestion on the slopes is something that I can usually do something about, either by sticking to the harder and steeper runs that filter out spores (Spastic People On Rental Skis) or going through the trees.

Whistler Blackcomb during the X-mas and New Year holiday season epitomizes crowded slopes- when everyone starts to come off the mountain at the end of the day between 3:30 and 4:30 - it's pure carnage.

The WB ski patrol actually refers to this time of the day as the "stupid hour".

Since "no crowds" are a deal breaker for you- there are really only three resorts that I can personally recommend:

Big Mountain in Whitefish MT.

Schweitzer resort in Sandpoint ID.

Grand Targhee resort in Driggs ID.

All have nice wide runs, good slope angle- great snow (Rockies powder)- and wait for it- no crowds.

When I was a snowboard rep in the mid 90's, these resorts were always favorites.

George

I have not ridden Schweitzer for many years but I would put it in 3rd place of the 3 above.

I lived in NW Montana for many years and Big Mtn (Whitefish Mtn Resort) and always had a pass there. I am in SE Idaho and have a pass at Targhee. Both resorts are excellent. Targhee gets so much snow (600inches last year) that the groomers can be a bit soft but the powder is excellent on those days. Big Mtn gets less snow but the groomers are very consistent. Hardly any carvers at either of the two places. Both have great fall lines with a variety of consistent pitches.

Choices, Choices

Deer Valley. Best carving groomers I've seen. Only one problem :nono:

BobD

Yup, awesome groomed slopes, but the question did ask if you could go anywhere to carve. Too bad they are stuck in their stupid backwards ways.

I remember talking to Mike Jacoby about Deer Valley, and he is probably one of the few boarders to ever be permitted ride there, for a promotional spot, due to the '02 games! :eek: :D

Colorado, locals only, (with the exception of a really skilled oldschool boy from the midwest)... above tree line, no rich boys sittin' in the lodge telling tall tales, no California cuisine, no huge marketing schemes, one lodge, one parking lot, but a whole lotta unmarked mountain. Only "true dat", hardcore M "F"ers, not showboatin' or photoshootin' wannabees. Only place in the U to the S that I've been where skill and ability outrank cash and fashion. And it's just a shuttle ride away from the Disney Land of Colorado, Keystone / Breckenridge / and Copper Mt.

Sorry, "Edit" for those unfamiliar with "A-basin". Technically it's called "Arapahoe Basin". Highest skiable peak that is lift accessed in the state of Colorado. If you do it right 2, maybe 3 runs will consume your whole day.

If you do it right 2, maybe 3 runs will consume your whole day.

?!!

Granted I've only ridden there one day, but I'm sure I must have crammed in at least 15 top-bottom runs that day.... Could have gotten in another 2-3 if the lift hadn't stopped for that fellow carver who passed out on the lift from the lack of oxygen ;) ...or are you talking about hiking for pow?

Ah, West Wall. That was the first steep slope I carved successfully. Thank you, Kodak Courage.

Welcome Back!

And on days you feel like riding the wussy wagon, there's Buttermilk. :p

laugh2.gifIf you like wide and flat trails that would be Buttermilk. I know I'm going to get crap for saying this but I personally didn't like it and coming from the East to ride out West, I've got enough flat trails here. If I personally had to rank the Aspen mountains it would be, Ajax, Highlands, Snowmass, Buttermilk.

Hmm I still droolsmiley.gif and dream about carving at Ajax. Hopefully I'll make it back there some day, hmm 2011.

I'll add another vote for Big Mountain, MT. My sister lives in Kalispell and I used to visit regularly and in the winter hit the slopes at Big Mountain. I remember being there once during the holiday week and the locals were complaining because they had to wait a couple of minutes in a lift line. Usually there was no wait at all. I haven't been there in several years, though.

It is also great how they have parking set up with the lower chair lift so you can pretty much ride to and from your car.

One disadvantage, though, is that they don't get a lot of sunny days in the winter, so you often have to deal with flat light/low visibility conditions.

Last year I stayed at Snowmass during SES week, and I really liked it there. I actually preferred the terrain to Aspen, but I'm not that advanced and generally prefer intermediate groomers. Some of the slopes did get fairly crowded, though.

I'll add the vote for Aspen. I'm probably at the same riding level as you and Holly, and Snowmass was absolutely sick. You can ride there all day and not take the same lift twice, the terrain is huge and completely wide open, and it just generally rocked my socks as the best hill I've ever been on. Granted, conditions were exceptional that year, but it's still my gold medal standard for a carving hill.

Buttermilk is fantastic too, it just gets a little boring after a while, but it would be perfect for getting your legs back under you.

Agreed!

Geoff, man, I hope to see you back in Aspen some time soon again!!!

Jack and I are dreaming/hoping for 2011, but I have no idea if that will happen.

Uh, I need a SES bailout package:lol:

Ray you keep talking about coming to an ECES, I know what is holding you back...you can't carve on ice right:eplus2: Don't worry, your not the only one, Fin is terrible on ice as well:D