Note to New Members ×

Still buying new non-metal board ?

Surf Quebec

Hi,

Since people having a metal board says that it's night and day compared to a non-metal board, I'm wandering if people are still buying new non metal boards ?

For sure there is a good difference in $$$.

Let's hope that the price will go down a bit when coiler and donek will produce more metal boards per month.

Well, you don't have to have a metal board to have fun, and I think that some folks don't like the dampness that metal boards have. I really enjoy my non-metal Madd 158. At SES last year I demo'd a non-metal Donek FCII and loved its liveliness -- really really fun board. Then I demo'd a Prior WCR metal and it felt kind of dead and unresponsive to me. So I think it really boils down to personal preference.

Having said that, though, I did decide to upgrade to the 2009 metal Prior, based on all the rave reviews it has gotten. Everyone has assured me that once I get used to it I will absolutely love it. Plus, it adds more variety to my quiver than a non-metal board would have.

New non-metal? Sure. Virus Zylon Berserker 185. Is it cheaper than a metal stick?? No way..... ;-)

Metal in my opinion is good for a certain purpose. But there are many other things one might want from a board. I love my metal stick for its dampness and forgiving nature. But there are slopes and circumstances where I want something more lively, a real adrenalin pump.

And I guess there are many other boarders with various needs and ideas where metal is just not the right answer.

Metal is not an absolute best, even if you get this impression from WC. I don't even think that there is an overall best material for building snowboards. I guess it all depends on what you want from a board.

Just my 2 cents.

Kindest

I bought several boards last year, none of which were metal. Madd (flex 2), Coiler, and Madd (flex3)...still have the last one...love it.

Ordered a metal coiler after riding one at eces - given bruce's prices and build quality I think that may be where I go from now on...but I'm still lusting after whe Virus boards.

I wouldn't go back to wood metal rocks ! So smooth to ride. When you look at it this way if you order a wood board with all the olympics or other upgrade you can get it's almost the same price as a metal board. Well worth the cash.. first turn I did on my Coiler RC T I was in love !

I still love riding my madd 170 it's a great board too.

I will certainly buy non-emtal boards for things like powder, rock boards, softies, etc but the only way I buy a new alpine (or AM alpine) board that isn't metal, is if I try something I like even better. No way I would buy a brand new Coiler, Prior or Donek with a non-metal construction lets put it that way. If for some unlikely reason I were to move somewhere with more crowded trails I might *think* about a Madd 158 non-metal, but even then.... maybe not.

For a board that's supposed to be quick turning (like Madd 158, 170, Donek FC171, etc), I think I'd rather not have metal. I love my Madd 158 for its liveliness and "trampoline factor", but I've never tried a short metal board. That said, I still love my Madd 180 to death. But I don't think I'd want to compare it against say, a metal 16m Coiler. My metal Coiler 170 (14m) is easily my most versatile board ever. If I could only have one board, it would be that.

skategoat: I would say Coiler has the metal durability issue licked, and Prior and Donek are catching up in that area.

Everyone is discussing metal boards like they are all the same. I have been lucky enough to ride metal boards from four manufacturers. None of them ride the same. Some are very damp, others are more snappy.

I'm fat and break everything so not sure I want to pony up for metal.
That's why when you get one, you get a Coiler. I spent an hour a couple weeks ago talking with Bruce, discussing what I like and don't like about other metal boards and ultimately how I want mine to ride.

Everyone is discussing metal boards like they are all the same. I have been lucky enough to ride metal boards from four manufacturers. None of them ride the same. Some are very damp, others are more snappy.

That's why when you get one, you get a Coiler. I spent an hour a couple weeks ago talking with Bruce, discussing what I like and don't like about other metal boards and ultimately how I want mine to ride.

You changed your avatar, now I don't know who you are. Please post a single pic of the old one so I can remember.

Confuses me when you guys change it up like that.