Note to New Members ×

Intec Heels...............

eaglez

Does anyone know if there will be an adequate supply of intec heels for this season? I know that my only local shop was out early last season and never did receive any more. With F2's company issues this past year, is it possible we will have a hard time getting them?

Also, any spy shots of the new TD3 floating around?

D.:biggthump

I need a set as well and emailed YYZ and got this response:

"At this time we are only selling Intec Heels with step-in bindings, as we do not even have enough for all the bindings we have. We are hoping to get more once our next shipment comes in. Best, Andrea"

Bomber is still saying November, so there is still hope for a new set.

I have always been a little apprehensive about getting the Intec Heels.

To me it, it seems like they would fail easier than the traditional toe clip bindings.

I have seen dingbat and queequeg both use them and love them.

Can anyone else convince me to switch?

To me it, it seems like they would fail easier than the traditional toe clip bindings.

Personally, I think the intec heel design can use some improvement. I have *lots* of problems with snow sticking to the bottom of my boot/bindings and preventing me from getting locked in. I've stood at the top of the lift for over 5 minutes once or twice trying to remove enough frozen snow from my boot to get locked in. I don't know if this is so much a problem with the heels as it is with the overall boot binding interface, but it's EXTRA annoying with intec heels.

A little bird told me that bomber heels are coming soon!!!

Boy, do I hope so (and that they will be in stock by the time I notice them), having purchased my first hardboot gear, deciding to go SI, and now only needing heels to complete my setup :flamethro

I've found that with intecs the stomp pad design is more important. The big spikie ones clear the heel quickly. Just stomp down and twist. Dekine makes a killer one with spikes about 1/2" in diameter, I'm just having trouble finding more of them.

I've found that with intecs the stomp pad design is more important. The big spikie ones clear the heel quickly. Just stomp down and twist. Dekine makes a killer one with spikes about 1/2" in diameter, I'm just having trouble finding more of them.

I hate stomp pads. I know ... it's stupid, but I hate them. I've been thinking of putting some stomp padd material on my rear binding between the toe and heel clips, so that I don't have to put a stomp plate on the board but can still clear off my foot. Somebody should make a binding with something like this built in. You can use the intec heel reciever but it scratches up your boots pretty bad.

I got the dakine pyramid spikes. I haven't put them on yet. I never found much use for a stomp pad either.

Back in the day they used to be for when you're skating you have somewhere to put your free foot, but it didn't take me long to for the most part skate without setting my other foot down.

Just do it. Once you do, you never go back.

Queeqeg, if I have snow stuck to the bottom of my boot, I just use the top of the step-in piece to scrape them off. Works a charm. I have a spiky stomp pad, but find that the gymnastics of reaching my heel around to it with my front foot clipped in - not so good. Although you do get the odd day where the snow conditions just suck for getting stuck to your heels, and then it's definitely a PITA...

Even with traditional bails, snow/ice packed on the boot is a problem. I use Burton plates with bails and I still have issues at times with snow stuck on the bottom of the boots.

I bought a used set of TD2 step-ins and Intec heels, and I'm eager to try them. My biggest fear, though, is that they will be too stiff since I like the flex of my race plates. Perhaps with a suspension kit they'll be okay.

You might try a product called Spray Nine Snow Shooter.

My father uses it to keep the snow from sticking to the inside of the snow thrower back in Michigan. I can't vouch for it because I haven't used it yet, but I'm planning to try it out this season.

I've never had a problem with the nitro stepin heels.

Boardski, you can probably get yourself a pair of similar bindings and plenty of replacement heels from G-Style if you know someone in Japan, or know someone who can speak/correspond in Japanese. G-Style makes a similar system ... I wouldn't be surprised if they bought/licensed the patent from Nitro:

http://www.g-style.jp/products/binding.htm

There's a lot about that system that makes sense to me:

-Mechanically simple/durable.

-No need to run a cable inside boot.

-No danger of cable snapping leaving you stuck in your board.

-Heels would be less expensive to produce.

The release lever kind of freaks me out, but I imagine it takes considerable force to open it.

the depth of the heel certainly does seem like it would reduce the problem of snowpack gumming everything up.

That said, the g-style version of this lacks the roominess of the older nitro system (in the heel cup) and would probably be subject to the same frustrations as the intec system, in terms of packed-in snow preventing binding engagement...

I had the option of getting that Nitro setup many years ago and I still kinda regret not taking it. Nice simple design, and it looks really robust. I'd be pleased to see the rumoured Bomber heels put the moving parts into the binding itself as well.

But frankly it doesn't much matter. The heelpiece is now the weakest link in my setup, so I'm almost certain to run out and buy whatever heels Bomber provides. I look forward to the unveiling. :)

Ace, I had all kinds of problems with regular bindings failing. I could never get things dialed in to where they wouldn't pop upon if I pushed them really hard (read: falling, or hard landings from jumps) but I've had very little trouble with Intecs releasing - just a couple incidents of not being properly clicked in to begin with, or heel screws loosening up, both of which are totally avoidable. IMO there's no question about Intecs being safer.

My only worry is that the plastic frame of the heelpiece may break. That's almost unheard-of though. Hasn't happened to me and I've punished the **** out of mine. And I'm sure Bomber can build something that I won't worry about in the slightest.