Note to New Members ×

OES March 5 - 8, 2009

SEJ

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I just booked a place in Sunriver for my wife and I. We'll be there days 1-3, now I just need to figure out how to convince her to ride instead of ski. She's never been on a carve specific board (other than a 158 BX) and thinks my 172 is way too long. Either way, I'll be bringing along too much gear.

Furi cat checking in!!!

Well looks like the season officially started for me! I'm not giving up the singlespeed yet, but put away the big bike along with the pads so I can have a good solid season.

Can't believe the snow is here already!! So happy! And looking forward to progressing this year and ripping up some turns!

Count me 100% confirmed for OES, Allen and I will be leaving Bay Area on Tuesday, riding day zero till sunday, and then leaving monday morning! It's all booked and set! Can't wait to see you guys this year!!!

I'm heading up from Reno and looking for a girl to split a hotel room with me. I will be booking it this week, but it would be awesome to split the cost.

Hi there!

I've already got a place to stay, but I'm stoked to know there's yet another girl coming. Lady carvers unite!

On a gender-neutral note, there are some terrific folks coming up from the Reno area. Great crew there...

Look forward to meeting you pretty soon,

Rebecca

(Oh and howdy to Baptiste, Randy T, Hagen, Tim and all of last year's OESers - can't wait to see you guys again)

Photo from last year's OES:

post-2992-14184227104_thumb.jpeg

Hey Mike,

How's it going? I have a few questions for you. For the out-of-towners/east coast travelers, do you have any ideas on some cost effective lodging and is it neccessary to have a rental car? Is there any type of transportation/bus lines from the mountain to Bend and vise versa?

Thanks!

Hey Mike,

How's it going? I have a few questions for you. For the out-of-towners/east coast travelers, do you have any ideas on some cost effective lodging and is it neccessary to have a rental car? Is there any type of transportation/bus lines from the mountain to Bend and vise versa?

Thanks!

Plenty of cost effective lodging options in Bend... give me a number of $ / night and I can make a few suggestions. www.mtbachelor.com has some lodging links and if you want really cheap there are some places in town that should fill the bill and have lift ticket specials - Super 8, Red Lion, etc.

Renting a car or buddying up with someone who is renting one is highly recommended. Mt Bachelor is 25 miles from town, the closest lodging is 14 miles from the mountain. The Bend airport is actually in Redmond, it's about 20 miles north of Bend.

Another option is to fly into Portland, rent there and drive down - 3.5 hours in good weather.

Hey Jeff,

The OES thread from last year has some info in it.

Bend has quite a few hotels starting at $40 and up. Obviously nicer as you spend more. The Riverhouse is a local hotel that is not too bad cost wise and reasonably nice.

There is a Bachelor shuttle ($7 each way), but as Mike says, a car will make life much better. I am not even sure you could easily get to the shuttle pick up without a vehicle.

Maybe you can talk trailertrash into coming and splitting costs. :D

Another option is to fly into Portland, rent there and drive down - 3.5 hours in good weather.

If anyone wants to carpool to Bend from Portland, LMK; I'll probably be driving down either Thursday night (March 5) or very early Friday morning, to ride Friday. Don't know how helpful I'll be once we actually arrive in Bend though -- most likely staying with my in-laws, so car-pooling to/from Bachelor <-->Bend might not be practical.

Hey Mike,

Thanks!

If you are flying into Portland?

I have some ideas for the "Out of Towners". If it works out that you fly in a day or two early?

Example, arrive in Portland, rent a car there. Stay in an affordable hotel in Portland near the Gorge, 40-70$ approx. Drive up the Gorge (siteseeing) that morning on your way to Mt Hood (three areas to ski) ride at one of them, that afternoon continue the drive to Bend . Stay at inexpensive hotels there, hang at the brew pubs, then ride Mt Bachelor the next day(s)

I live near Portland, work in Portland and I am happy to provide details for those traveling through.

Some helpful links.

I think I'm going to have to bring up a cooler of beer from my friends new brewery that just opened last year!

http://www.buckbeanbeer.com/

It won't go to waste Randy!!

Does that mean you have room for more boards??:eplus2:

Have they introduced their beers in Portland? Sale opportunities?

Could any of you locals recommend a "Ground zero" place. All us out of towners stay in the same place, party together, share rides, etc? It would be cool if we were all hanging together.

Mike, still don't have air travel, so I'm hoping to drive which means Gretchen will come, plus I can bring all the stuff. The problem is I have a ticket we are going to lose if not used, so Gretchen's goal in life is to make it work for OES, which means I get to slog all the crap around in the airports and she won't come. I gave in and told her to find a long weekend in Mexico to use the ticket, so hopefully we're driving.

Could be an extra round trip seat from the bay area in our ride, but I don't want to post it till I know for sure.

Man, I hope your snow's better than ours. Got a hour and a half in this morning on groomed mash potatoes before the rain came back.

Received my 180 RC yesterday and all I can do is sit and watch it rain at Tahoe.

Hey Scott,

One of the biggest issues is the wide range of budgets and acceptable accommodations. People end up staying a lot of different places, but as long as they are in Bend, everyone is pretty close. Once you ride most of the day, clean up, and head to dinner, there is not really much time that you are not with other riders.

For hotels, the River House is a decent possibility. The rooms started at $90 per night when we last stayed there. They also have suites that can cut down on the cost if you find people to share it with.

Some people rent a place in Sunriver and drive up to Bend, but it is about 30 minutes away and it gets a little painful driving that extra hour every night to come to the dinners.

We rented a house off VRBO with some other riders this year right in Bend. There are 5 of us in the house. If you can find others to room with, that is a great option. Maybe you could just post looking for people to share a place at OES.

Hope you get some good snow to try your new board. Shawndoggy has had my 177 Coiler AM-T all year and I think is still waiting for good enough coverage to ride it.

No problem with coverage here! The only place that's sketchy right now is Summit, and with another 6 weeks to OES, I suspect it'll be a whole different story by then.

"What Buell said" on lodging. Perhaps if the out of towners who have alreday reserved a hotel post where they are staying... a number of people from other parts of Oregon have family in Bend and just stay there.

As was the case last year there will be an evening event each night. Tentative schedule:

Wednesday - happy hour TBD (Silver Moon Brewery perhaps?)

Thursday - Carino's at 6:00

Friday: Cascade Lakes at 6:30 (better food selection than last year :biggthump)

Saturday: Mine and Bonnie's, gear sale in the garage

Sunday: stragglers and locals dinner, TBD (Deschutes Brewpub perhaps?)

So yeah, like Buell says, if you come to the parties you won't have a lot of time wasted sitting on your thumbs.

yum yum buckbean! Its tasty beer! Went to Octoberfest at the brewery with Randy and got to sample several beers, was very good stuff - can't wait to drink some more of it :)

Hi Mike, I was offered a deal I could not refuse from Mt. Rose Jami today so I am planning to attend. I will need to look into logistics and my work schedule but it looks good at the moment.I heard you are planning a Dinner at Descutes, let me know if you need any help with that as I know all the key folks there. They are one of my key customers. In fact I will try to make that a sales call....:)

Hey Jeff,

Maybe you can talk trailertrash into coming and splitting costs. :D

Your wife was doing a pretty good job of that!

:)

tt, what can we say? If you haven't noticed tenacity is a part of both our personality descriptions! ;) We would love to carve with you guys at OES.

Al, that is great news. Looking forward to riding with you.

Buell

Yes I'm sure it wont go to waste!

Right now it's only sold in NV and CA but I'll do my best to get people from OR hooked to hopefully he can get it up there.

I don't know who's driving yet but there should be room for the boards. :D