Note to New Members ×

Good looking helmet ?

Louis

Oh well, I must admit, I've been snowboarding for 10 years + and never wore an helmet.. I think I don't need to push my luck any further, and I'd like to get one this year, especially that it became a standard for snowboard instructors.. got to show the kids the example !

Okay now, I'm sure that you guys have good recommandation for me so I dont look like a clown ? :ices_ange

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a smith... Forget what model... It is comfortable though.

Looks are a distant second to comfort. Make sure you get one that is comfortable, please, otherwise you will hate wearing it and you won't have it on when you need it. The only thing worse than not having a helmet and landing on your head is HAVING a helmet but not wearing it while you land on your head...

For looks, being an instructor, if for jibbers you'll probably to get one of those skate-boarder looking helmets. Burton makes alot of those. If you're gonna be a carving instructor, it doesn't matter what the helmet looks like, cause you'll find people around here rarely care about how they look on the hill. (Besides technique of course.)

I'd suggest going to multiple ski shops trying helmets on (cause from my experience, they'll only carry one or two brands). And I know how much people like to support their local ski shops, I like to as well, but check online, because it's hard to justify spending twice as much to support your local shop. Maybe it is, depends on price and stuff.

Anyways, yeah, the jist of it is go for comfort most of all...

Edit:

I was going to add that I never thought I'd like a helmet. Then since I started hardbooting I figured I oughtta... A week later I used it... I probably would have been out for quite a while if I didn't have it. Man am I glad... Since then, I've used it a couple more times... Maybe I need to stop driving so hard...

Most important to find one that fits you right. Giro and Red helmets fit me awesome, Smith fits OK, and everything else I've tried just feels weird. Try on as many as you can.

I'm going with a Giro Talon, when I get my act together and order it. I wanted the Streif, which has carbon fibre and kevlar that you can see through the shell and looks uber-cool, but the Talon has vents and makes more sense for daily wearing.

I've got a great smith that fits my oversized melon really well. you can also rip out all of the uinsulation, and it doubles as a skate helmet...

But the most important thing is fit. Then style. I agree with Pebu, If you don't like it, you won't have it on when you need it. But if it doesn't fit right, a. it won't save you, and b. you'll be less likely to wear it

Allee:

Those Giros are ski specific, we don't even carry those. I take it you are a snowboarder, then give the Omen a good look at.

Bola

www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

Yep, I know, they're race helmets. That's why the Streif has no vents. I've tried the Streif on and it's a wonderful fit, so the Talon should be the same.

I liked the Omen, it was really light and also fitted well, but the colours are so damn boring. Black, grey or white, woo hoo.

Plus, having concussed myself twice with a helmet on ... the more bombproof, the better!! :cool:

I have the same question as cail - as I don't wear my snowboard on my head, does it matter??

personally, I fear the full face. let me give you an image:

you're cruising at Mach Shnell and loose your edge. As you fall face first, your face desn't the snow, your helmet does. Then it grabs and tourques your neck.

Personally I'd settle for a littel facial scarring over a broken neck; Of course, I'm not that good looking to begin with....

Giro 9

I have a big dome, and this one doesn't make me look like a lollipop, like my old Boeri did.

I'm like you, grew up without helmets, kinda don't really feel like I have to have one, but this helmet is so comfortable and light, there's no excuse not to wear it.

I don't like the "look" of neck torque. Actually, that is one issue I have been curious/concerned about. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Id like to see/hear concrete evidence on this, the helmet is going to give a little, nearly every other sport people wear a fullface.

The helmet will not "dig in" it will bounce, so will your face if your not wearing one! :barf:

My new helmets: c23a_1.JPG

edf2_1.JPG

and the one avatar :eplus2:

That's the Talon. The red is pretty, but the matte titanium one is my fave. You're right in that they do have an optional chin bar, but I don't think I'll get it ... I have the same problem as Noah, I really worry about wrecking my neck. At least if I faceplant, I can be rebuilt better looking...

I'll chime in with the big melon crown, as most helmuts make me look ready for space. I bought the new Smith 1/2 style last year, and am very happy with it. Comfort was important as was a removeable liner & ear flaps so I can rinse / wash as needed. Adjustable ventilation is also key as I heat up like a furnace. Also bring your goggles to be sure you get a seamless fit accross your forehead. Nothing looks as amuzing as a sun / wind / frost burned mud gap.

Al

That's the Talon. The red is pretty, but the matte titanium one is my fave. You're right in that they do have an optional chin bar, but I don't think I'll get it ... I have the same problem as Noah, I really worry about wrecking my neck. At least if I faceplant, I can be rebuilt better looking...

Ditto on the matte Ti. That is what I have. Must be stealth. If they had it in radar absorbing, this helmet would indeed be perfect.

Love mine.

Don't teach in a full face and if you do, make sure you wear your ipod for the full effect.

For open face, I have a Bell Faction. Pads out and toque underneath.

For real riding, I use a Troy Lee D2 full face. I'm not worried about neck torque. If that was a real possibilty, I think you'd see the MX'ers ditching them, but like snowboarding, the risk of other injuries you're far more likely to get, outweigh the one you probably won't.

I used to have the ten pound Jofa bowling ball model, but there wasn't much choice back then. After trying on about a thousand of them I found a Giro that felt great. I would not ride without one. That old Jofa is the only reason I didn't have to learn to feed myself again. I think the weight of helmets strains your neck a little more when you go down hard, but that beats the hell out of traumatic brain injury.

I use the HJC AC-X3 and it fits well. The face protector is close to the face and I have had no trouble with it catching. It has a endent along the back that keeps the goggle strap in place. The liner & ear flaps are removeable so I can wash them.

white.jpg

Guest KrudKarver
:smashfrea Since my head is jellybean-zeppelin shaped, I'm thinking about the 08 LSD model... I've heard they mold to your head after a couple of warm-ish days. No sharp edges to catch/dig in and the styling .....man, they're the #E$!.

post-4022-141842239508_thumb.jpg