Note to New Members ×

Good looking helmet ?

Louis

Hey guys !

What are you wearing under the helmet ? Because if I need to try i'll put something on to be sure I dont get something too tight in it...

Most of the ppl i know wear a thin layer under the helmet and they say its pretty hot and comfy, I guess thats what I should do right ? :P

I wear an old fleece full-face balaclava under my Salomon helmet (which is not full face). It works great. Without it, my face would get too cold. I've also tried one of those neoprene "Masque" things, but it was uncomfortable. Make sure the helmet you get has ventilation slots; that way if the liner gets too warm, you can let some air in.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is what I wear because it is snow specific and not as heavy as regular MX helmet. I use it for boardercross and for just toiling around. It's light, vented, and has a goggle strap in the back. I have a skullcap like PHIL, but most of the time don't really need it as the helmet is quite warm. The only I didn't like is the sizing since it is s/m or l/xl and I'm normaly a medium but had to get l/xl but it still fits great.

post-4737-141842240536_thumb.jpg

Louis, hit the specialty ski shops for the best choice. Sports Expert is a waste of time, they only have a few and they're always the low end models.

Once you find one that fits, you'll know straight away that it's the right one. Good luck!

Edit : hey, I'm a trench digger now! Earned my stripes after four years - maybe I just talk too much :-)

Head shape can play a huge factor too. I love the look of that Protec helmet but it just didn't fit. It was either floppy front to back in an XL or pinching the sides of my head terribly in a large.

I found a Giro G10 that fit like a toque (knit cap for you US people ;)). Like Allee said, as soon as I put it on I knew it was the one for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Little update here, I went to try the helmets, they all fit weird,

the medium one pressure my forehead and backhead (56-58)

the large one feels okay but the sides have little bit of space so it moves a bit from side to side (59-60)

the xl felt good but not tight enough I guess..

would you go smaller or bigger in case of doubt ?

I measured my head circumference and its 59.. (cm)

Go smaller and use something like a golf ball or a large spoon to compress the Styrofoam in the area of the hot spots until the pressure goes away. Some will say you're messing with the integrity of the helmet but, I feel a snug comfortable helmet is better than a loose fitting one.

yeah, well I was more thinking the other war around though, like putting a bigger layer on my head that would make the gap smaller, or having bigger pads to adjust it..

I do like the look of smaller helmet though.. they all looked really bad on me lol!

Change model, don't get a helmet for which you aren't sur about the fit. Try different model from the same and different companies.

I have a Giro Nine.9. Giro bike helmet don't fit me. I tried the Giro Fuse, it didn't fit, but the Nine.9 did. So if one helmet from a company doesn't fit, maybe another will. Try as many as necessary, your can't put a price on your head.

You should try a different shop and see if you can try to find a different brand that fits snugly. Each brand will have a different head shape, you just need to find the one that works for you. I like my hjc AC-x3, if full faced is the way you want to go, they also have open face motorcycle helmets you can try. One nice thing about motorcycle helmets is they tend to have less difference between sizes so it is easier to find a good fit.

I too have a similar issue with helmets.

I found Acerbis helmets were a perfect fit. Hard to find sellers for them in the US, so I ordered mine and got lucky with a 60.

Ofcourse I had to airbrush mine like one of the most gaudy things I could think of: MADBALLS !....... :D

ahhh for love of the 1980's :1luvu:

Don't forget that if it doesn't fit, then it's not going to protect you. Not to mention you'll hate wearing it, it'll leak air around your ears on the lift, wobble around on your head and generally be a PITA.

Just keep looking. I can't believe that Montreal doesn't have at least some specialty ski shops, and they're the best places to look.

So far i've tried smith, salomon, some boeris (basically all the ones from sports expert) they dont have that much choices, and seriously, they look medium quality, They dont carry the nice boeris..

But none of them felt great.. I'll try elsewhere, but I always felt really bad with any kind of hat on.. Maybe thats my problem :rolleyes:

Hey Louis,

Had the same problem, forward / back head pinch, and trust me nothing is worse that putting up with a helmet that does not fit. Or worse showing up for Apres' with a nice knot on your brow. Some manufaturers have a fit up system, so you can go largeer, than snug up the gaps. I have a Smith "Holt" that is the only one I found that fit up to my melon. It also has a removable washable liner which many don't. If and when I need to replace it, it will be wit the same model.

Good Luck!

Al

Thanks again for all the help, I guess my quest for the perfect helmet will have to be longer than I expected, I'll give a try at other local shop, meanwhile I'll ride without it.. As long as I dont hit the park Im pretty confident I'll be safe.. but its always good to have one ASAP..