Note to New Members ×

Good looking helmet ?

Louis

Hey guys !

I understand why this community is so good, thanks for all the tips/replies.. I guess i'll really have to go out and try them at my local shops... Only problem is that they dont carry alot of stuff there.

What are you wearing under the helmet ? Because if I need to try i'll put something on to be sure I dont get something too tight in it...

Most of the ppl i know wear a thin layer under the helmet and they say its pretty hot and comfy, I guess thats what I should do right ? :P

Thank you for helping a helmet newbie, at least Im not the only one who had to go through that ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wear a R.E.D. Skullcap under my helmet when necessary. It has a warm "earband" and a mesh top. If I go inside for a little while, I can usually leave it on because the mesh top lets my head cool off. On the other hand, if I take my helmet off outside, the earband still keeps me warm enough.

R8080301_A?$RED08_FS_BP$

Im going to take a look soon, the winter stuff must be out by now, maybe i'll get good deals with the alliance too (ACMS) Im just waiting for them to fix my cotisation (wich they messed up..) and I'll be able to see the pro deals..

:)

How much are you guys spending on your helmets ? To have good quality I guess you need to go in the 100's

How much are you guys spending on your helmets ? To have good quality I guess you need to go in the 100's

Nope.

To get good quality, you need to find a helmet that fits. That's all. If it's on sale as a helmet that meets the various standards, it meets the relevant standards, and it fits you, it doesn't matter if it cost you 3 bucks or 300. The extra you pay is for "added features", looks, looks, and looks.

Remember, one accident, with *or without* visible damage -> your helmet should go in the bin. A helmet is a disposable item, and it's designed to degrade on impact to reduce the impact absorbed by your grey matter. The degradation that the helmet experiences in an impact is irreversible; using it again means that the next shock may be your last.

There was an interesting article backed by new research on motorcycle helmets released this summer, which pointed out that the majority of expensive fibre glass, carbon and kevlar helmets, although theoretically capable of absorbing more shock in a high speed accident (which would most likely be fatal anyway), transmitted up to twice as much energy to the head in low-speed accidents relative to the super cheap "bargain basement" plastic helmets. In other words, the more you spend on a crash helmet, the more you're likely to end up with brain trauma in a low speed fall. The manufacturers and one of the standards bodies were less than amused. Article here : http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

On the other hand, I'm not one to preach, when riding I wear a tibetan wool hat, and then only if it's cold. In full carve mode, the ear flaps make me look like a bassett hound in a wind tunnel :)

Simon

I know a racer that got saved by a full face. I will not go into the dynamics of riding or skiing but if you are going to break your neck you can trust that your jawbone/cheekbone will be in your brains and you will still break your neck.

Being old enough to remember when helmets became compulsory on bikes in the UK (1973), and all the "oh noes, if I have a little accident the helmet is going to break my neck" type wailing the anti-helmet crowd came out with at the time, I can agree with this. Since the introduction of compulsory helmets on bike, neck trauma has not noticeably increased, despite more riders surviving "big offs". Admittedly, a full-face helmet has more chance of "digging in" on snow in certain cases, but, again as Bola says, if this was a major (or even minor) issue there would have been lawsuits already, and not just in the land of the free.

Having seen the sort of "little facial scarring" that an open face helmet can leave you with on a bike (mate of mine who had an "off" that left him bouncing his mush along the tarmac for a significant distance), I ride bikes *exclusively* with full face lids, even offroad.

I can see how boarding with a full-face helmet could be a bit of a bear for instructors though.

Simon

Allee:

The Omen is the most bombproof helmet in the Giro line. It is supposed to take several Gs of force to fail but one impact is all you need for replacement.

That red rocks! I've never seen that colour here.

I'm sure it's a great helmet, but it just looks a bit ... well ... macho. I'm a girl. I like pretty graphics. Stuff like that is important, dammit!

Hey Louis:

If you're getting your helmet through the CASI-ACMS pro deal, you should look into the Bern helmets. They're comfortable, look pretty good (I find most helmets look sort of funny, anyway, but I grew up with wool...) and they come with a pad kit and a beanie, to size it out right.

I say show up to teach one day with a full-face and ipod just to see the look on your supervisors face. If he asks where you got that stupid idea, give him my name.

As for the neck breaking full-face, the only time I feel it is when I'm hauling ass and the visor wants to lift my head off my shoulders.

Thanks for the input !

Yeah im with CASI-ACMS,

I got pro-deals on Dainese and Bern mainly, deals on Bern seems very very good for me, although I really like Dainese helmet design and its less "park" oriented..

I'll definitly look into boeri too, but I doubt I can get prices that matches the alliance ones.. The only problem is that I probably wont find any Dainese or Bern supplier around here ?

(Im in Montreal, and I dont remember seeing these brands at Sport Expert for example)

:eek: damn ! it looks kinda fake though

Nah, it's a dilatant or "non newtonian fluid", the most common example of which is a mixture of corn starch and water known as "oobleck".

Basically, it's something which is fluid when moved slowly, but hardens under sudden shear forces. As such, it's the exact opposite of what you want for a helmet.

A helmet has 2 parts. One part, the shell, exists to protect against abrasive and puncturing forces, this bit wants to be hard. It's not the most important part, though. The important part is the part that cushions your head from the shock of impact, reducing the "G"s applied to your precious grey matter. This bit needs to be more or less rigid under normal usage (to mould itself properly to your head), but to allow your head to decelerate slowly in the case of impact.

The guy in the video, although protected from the pain of the initial shovel impact by the product, in much the same way as he would have been by having a hard shell bonded to his head (load spreading), would not be protected at all against the *real* danger of the majority of falls on bike or snowboard, which is to say, brain damage.

Dead handy for body armour, though. Flexible when you want it to be, hard when you need it to be. The stuff used by the US and Canadian teams comes from a company called "d3o Lab", they can be found here : http://www.d3o.com/

Simon

I have a ProTec helmet with memory foam like that in a football helmet.Supposedly can take many impacts.Seems a little heavier,but it is my park and tree riding helmet(not that I crash much).I use a Boeri helmet if I'm riding groomers just cause it's light and looks racy.ANYONE WITH AN OPINION ON THE MEMORY FOAM HELMET?

Fit has always been a problem for me as my melon doesn't seem to be symetrical. Unless they had a lot of soft padding next to the styrofoam or, fit a little loose (not what you want), I would have hot spots. I have 3 snowboard and 4 motorcycle helmets and none of them used to fit better than "okay". The last helmet that I got off the internet was particularly uncomfortable. I took a golf ball and, with a little pressure, rolled it against the styrofoam where it hurt. Each time I put it back on it fit a little snugger with a different hot spot until it finally fit like a glove. Now, all my helmets have received the "treatment" and are very comfortable.

Fit has always been a problem for me as my melon doesn't seem to be symetrical. Unless they had a lot of soft padding next to the styrofoam or, fit a little loose (not what you want), I would have hot spots. I have 3 snowboard and 4 motorcycle helmets and none of them used to fit better than "okay". The last helmet that I got off the internet was particularly uncomfortable. I took a golf ball and, with a little pressure, rolled it against the styrofoam where it hurt. Each time I put it back on it fit a little snugger with a different hot spot until it finally fit like a glove. Now, all my helmets have received the "treatment" and are very comfortable.

Hey nice tip !

But I dont think every helmet can be "altered" like that ?

The guy in the video, although protected from the pain of the initial shovel impact by the product, in much the same way as he would have been by having a hard shell bonded to his head (load spreading), would not be protected at all against the *real* danger of the majority of falls on bike or snowboard, which is to say, brain damage.

Dead handy for body armour, though. Flexible when you want it to be, hard when you need it to be. The stuff used by the US and Canadian teams comes from a company called "d3o Lab", they can be found here : http://www.d3o.com/

Simon

Actually the guy in the video is protected by a helmet he's wearing (hiding) under his beanie.

Really, Bordy? I thought you guys would have snow out there by now..? Even in the Mid-Atlantic we have already had one place open a couple of runs. I expect to be open in two weeks if the weather cooperates.

I'll be out tomorrow for your shovel beating! ;)

Nah, it's a dilatant or "non newtonian fluid", the most common example of which is a mixture of corn starch and water known as "oobleck".

Basically, it's something which is fluid when moved slowly, but hardens under sudden shear forces. As such, it's the exact opposite of what you want for a helmet.

Simon

non newtonian fluids in action

Well, you get concussion in case of serious impact with helmet as well. And D3O site addresses head protection in their site, so I believe, that they had "crash test dummies" to test applicability for head protection. Additionally in case of helmet you have additional strain for neck due to added weight.

(Disclaimer: I'm not expert in this area, thus..)

Major problem with such hats seems to be the fact, that hats tend to fly off from head in case of serious fall. If there were leather helmet, similar to previous century's helmet worn by race car drivers and airplane pilots and had this D3O for additional protection then I'd buy such product in heartbeat :)

Right now I see such beans suitable as protection in parking lot against careless skiers, who carry skis on shoulders and make sudden turns (just like snowboard carvers on slopes :P)