Note to New Members ×

Alloy D.O. 165

slopestar

I am 6' 1" weigh 180 lbs and wear size 10 boots. I got to ride the 161 version for two days, what a great ride! I had to ride softboots on it and ended up running 42/24 angles on some rome targas. Really solid and damp ride, cut through chopped snow after riding all day on a busy Sunday at Brighton. The board loves to rail and once your into the carve your locked into it. While I did have a lot of fun on it I think I would either need hard boots or a wider version to really push it to its limits.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, piusthedrcarve said:

Only tweak for next year model will be more forwarded inserts placement as of current. 

Funny as I had to cheat my bindings forward on my DO 165...   I actually do the same on my Alpine boards...  no I just have them made with insert forward...  I ride almost centered on my boards so I'm not going back and forth...just lay it side to side and sip tea...

• Thanks 1

I was able to get the 161 D.O that is here in Utah and man it's a super fun board. I run much lower angles that the other two who had it before me. 15 in the front and 3 in the back.I do have a much smaller boot than most. Size 8 so I never have boot over hang issues I did de-tune the board because it was sent out new and that had not been done. It really likes to carve deep trenches on wide open run's but when I did get near people it was easy to control. I feel it's easier to ride than my Saber. I would like to thank Don for letting me ride it. Thanks Don.

Vaughn

VM.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally was able to log some time on the DO 165. Variety of conditions  from icy cobbled groomers to mid teens hero groom at Crystal Mt Thursday, 35/ 25 with Now Overdrive bindings. Super stable at speed, quick edge to edge, locked in on every turn. 27,000 vert in 3 hrs, 65 mph top speed on Thursday. Rode it back to back with my 168 Kessler Ride. The Kessler was faster  could turn a little tighter but as far as edge hold , there was no difference. Absolutely would recommend as a soft boot carver and would buy again, probably will. Customer service is top notch as well, There was an issue with first one they sent, Don brought it to my attention and replaced the defective board quickly.            Awesome board!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got 2 days on it.

Softer snow with received 70cm 3 days prior. Groomed snow. Hard pack on the evening Friday and softer conditions Saturday. Had the chance to try it back to back with the Virus.

- Quality: Is awesome. Like a fine watch it's beautifully made and finished. The carbon finish and small beveled edge is a nice touch and you immediately sense the quality and it shows in the details. Couldn't stop almost everybody in chairs asking about it. The sun shining on the finish carbon is nice.

-Performance: the first day was running 30/15 with 20mm risers.

Immediately was washing out on softer snow with the back foot on laid out toe sides carved. Had to adjust to 33/22 with risers. With that it came alive. Turn initiation is a little slower than the virus but reminds me of it as they are closelly matched. The heel side carves are immediately locked in and leave you so much confidence to go further and further and lower. 

The board shine even more if you get a fast momentum going and spits you in the air with the big camber.  Get some energetic compression and rebound and it's amazing. One carve comes to mind slightly uphill after a big heel side very low, airtime completely parallel to the snow going over on the toeside. Stokedddddd!! 

Kinda of board that us asking for more and you need to ride it hard.

Very impressed by it. The sense of stability and assurance at speed reminds me of a metal board more damped. Very good selection of materials and ultra high performance.

Slower carves are less forgiving than the Virus that us more flexible. For some reason the Virus as more edge hold on pure pure ice. Maybe the tune.

All in all . A great board.  And can't wait to work from here to get better and master it more.

PS: sorry for my english. Always practicing 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update after 3 months. Rode it at A-basin yesterday back to back with Virus avalanche aft 168. Virus wants more room... went back to back with my Fullbag Diamond Blade a few weeks ago. The Fullbag’s ride is so familiar and friendly but tops out somewhere above 30mph where it gives up speed and stability for its all mountain prowess.  Overall, the D.O just shines. 13-10.5-12.5 variable radius just works well for me. Looking forward to trying the new Donek (PJ) saber 168 now that I’ve added powerplates to it.

• Like 3

Looks like we have similar quiver for some boards. 😁

My top one is now the Virus. I guess Ice coast conditions confirmed my needs.

Very big scr but incredible ice hold. Back to back with the D.O. It's not even comparable.  The Virus blows it. So much better edge hold. Speed transfering. Confidence inspiring. Like my titanal Jasey jay. 

Guess it's more of a personal story. 

Number 3 for me... Good board but finding the sweet spot on pure ice wasn't perfect.

Diamond blade? For trying lots...the best for the $$$ bar none. QK (Quiver killer) 

I'm in "board-room" heaven. Every day I ride was incredible. Every different board gets is own personality to tame and learn.  I truly enjoy this. Diversity. Spice of life. 😉

I don't take it for granted...

My local place just close nights skiing. Bummer as I was going every 2 days. 5min from it.

My other local place closed end of may. Might blow 70 time this year...

Edited by Poloturbo
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The virus turns bigger than I’m used to. The older Flow nxt bindings I have on it are not as good as the nx2’s. A little stiffer than they need to be. Diamond Blade goes with... its my Billy goat. Going tho ride both my Donek sabers....old faithful 165 and the new inflated 168 against the D.O. I have not ridden alpine this season so I think it’s time to break out my coiler 174 nfce/ 22.5 waist...liking your quiver and like evaluation...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2018 at 4:56 PM, JRAZZ said:

Do you know what the side cut on it is?

We really need to meetup on the hill and swap boards 🙂  It seems to me that one is a "slalom" board while the other is a "GS".

I have a feeling that you are right and the heavyweight part might be the reason you like the 165 and I liked the 161. That and the fact that you're also way more agro than me 😉

Either way I'm stoked you bought it!

p.s. remember I moved the binding back a bit? It made a huge difference in the handling. While my heelside still sucked I was able to hold a very decent toe side on it though at lower speeds than you. 

what is heavy weight ? 200+, I am in the process look for a new board, 185bls  fit in the do 161 may be 

3 hours ago, dragonrider said:

what is heavy weight ? 200+, I am in the process look for a new board, 185bls  fit in the do 161 may be 

I think it all depends on your level of aggression. The newer ones seem even stiffer (I would ask @slopestar since he's far more knowledgeable than me).

I am slightly lighter than you and really appreciate the 161 but I'm also a much more timid rider. 

• Like 1